Page:
fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
My lords ,ladies and gentlemen,

I hear by call all fire performers to take note of this!!

After coming back from the falmouth meet sunday it has shown me how big the fire community realy is, i know a lot of people couldnt make it and probably loads more didnt know about it.
As some of you in falmouth may have heard, I have decided to take it upon myself to see if we can get some sort of annual poi event at alton towers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was aiming to get something sorted for halloween and bonfire night as they have masses of people there!!!
I went to alton towers yesterday to check it out and they have got some real nice spots there.
I spoke to the main entertainment guy there today and he is very very intersted in the idea, so dont get me wrong this event is ONLY an idea and its going to take alot of organising and co-ordination, But with the expertise , knowledge and experience of some of you guys i'm sure we could make this event happen.
I have to go to a meeting at the towers with the entertainment people soon so i need some information to take with me, like who has public liability insurance or who can get it , policies start in september i have the details if you need them.
Also i want to take them a cd of some fire performances, i have access to cd editing equipment so if anyone has some good footage of themselves or friends that would be most grateful (fire or glo).
Obviousley we wont be the main the fireworks are alot brighter than what we are(ok strugz in falmouth maybe was on par) but the idea is to be dotted around the park in a barriered area in groups...

so ............hands up who wants to spin at alton towers? biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

who ate all the poi's?

How much of a difference will YOU make to the world today?

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Hey well done guys! Should be a great gig...

Coming from someone who is doing this (performing) for more than a laugh:

please please please ensure you negotiate a good rate of pay for everyone. If this is the first time they've delt with fire performers then (as mentioned before in the thread by Durbs I believe) this will be the precedent. The minimum we work for is 250pounds for fire performance. Several dates deserves a discount, but don't f*ck the market!
Ask Dizzy about what their pricing and accomodation is etc... don't forget about food, travel etc... they are obliged to pay you these fees!'

I realise everyone on this board has safety in mind but - you can imagine the terrible impact an stupid mistake or accident at a gig like this would have for the whole rest of the (fire) performing world. Insurance covers your own ass but doesn't repair a damaged image of our artform for the next 10 years does it?
Sorry to sound like grumpy Grandpa...

On the flip side...big respect for sorting this one out! It's exactly what the Towers needs!
Nice one
Dave
smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Good words Dave hug

When you say 250 I presume you mean per person per gig yeah?

And don't worry, I think everything will be safe. Peronsonally I check my equipment every day I'm burning and also most times I light up too. It only takes like 10 seconds to make sure all the links are ok etc. I doubt Alton will want to risk their reputation by being dangerous/causing injury on such a famously popular night so I imagine they'll be wanting us to be visual but not to close!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:

yeah nice one guys gives me more to think about !!! this has to be done right otherwise as stated it will mess things up 4 future performances... and i want this to be an annual thing maybe if it goes ok, next year we may have the towers backing i.e advertising it on their posters and adverts.. tv coverage and who knows what ...
we realy do need to make a good impact, and i'm sure we will.
haven't had many people adding their names to the list guys .. so tell everyone you know who spins and lets make this thing work.Its going to be a much fun event!!!!! biggrin

who ate all the poi's?

flamingfunBRONZE Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
Nice one! Flaming fun is Brighton based with loads of multiskilled highly trained performers all ready to go, with Public Liablity Insurance. If your interested let me know:
info@flamingfun.com
or have a look at what we do on:
www.flamingfun.com
For lots of flaming fun let us know...

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Yeah sure i'll be up for it. biggrin I shall get my insurance when i get back to the UK (2nd Sept) ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
is about to get insurance and would be mad keen on this...you're a hero for sorting it mate!

It's smashing to be back x

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
any more news?

creaturesfarleySILVER Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
wow! how great!! that sounds like soooooooo much fun! smileshotgun i'm coming next year wave . That'll be great if they incorparate you into their advertising next year clap . the fireworks and the fire poi/staff/nunchucks/anythingelse will compliment each other sooooo well. well done for thinking of this! I'm sure they will have no second thoughts about inviting you back next year. How cool!!! wow

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
Sorry bout the delay in getting back to you guys ive been having a quater life crisis!!!!

got the sack from work, went wakeboarding with my phone and wallet in my pocket, been going to interviews , and of course spinning!!!!! been on a right mission.......

Right update ......... im going to the towers either the 16th or 19th of this month jus waiting for him to tell me when its ok , he's still pretty keen , so get your insurance photocopies ready and a photocopy of another form of ID (driving license is good cos it has your picture on it) and get ready to send it to me when i get the go ahead.If you havent got your insurance sorted yet i suggest you do it soon cos ive been waiting a week now for my certificate to come through, ive just spoke to country mutual and they are having a massive backlog at the mo of about 2500 policies to renew and set-up so they said they are way behind on sending out the certificates,and im afraid they will not let anyone spin without a copy of it!!!! rules is rules!!!!!

once again sorry for not keeping you all updated,, jus lifes hectic at the mo!!!! biggrin

who ate all the poi's?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Ok i bought my PLI today... told them i need the certificate pretty quickly and he noted it down. Should be here soon....
ubbangel
(still sore about the bashing my bank account has taken today frown )

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:

Yeah tell me bout it, with any luck we can get them to cover our insurance plus a little extra!!

So looking forward to it now, its going to be one mad event......

who ate all the poi's?

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
sweet im now insured should get my certificate in afew days so count me in smile

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
**************Update*****************

Hello all update on whats going on with the halloween/bonfire spinage at alton towers .

we are going there this thursday for a meeting with the guy there to sort everything out, im going to need a rough guide to how many people are coming so tell everyone you know , who you think will be up for it.I need a rough guide to how many peeps are intersted.... please just add your name to the list ....sorry if i've missed anyone out.

Mike , tom , beth----- fireflyz ----insured
Rossco - insured?
Custom_Bug---------almost insured
BamBam, Diz, Hels Bells----- insured
Strugz, Frodo---------insured
Robnunchucks-------insured
All of burnt toast - insured
Pink - insured

who ate all the poi's?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: fireflyz

Hello all update on whats going on with the halloween/bonfire spinage at alton towers .

we are going there this thursday for a meeting with the guy there to sort everything out, im going to need a rough guide to how many people are coming so tell everyone you know , who you think will be up for it.I need a rough guide to how many peeps are intersted.... please just add your name to the list ....sorry if i've missed anyone out.

Rossco - insured?
Custom_Bug---------almost insured
Pink - insured

Mech - sorting insurance!!! (need to check with you flireflyz (pm))

Step (el-nombrie)

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
me//insured and dead keen on both dates....kinda putting a gig for salford city council on bonfire night on hold so i can go to this. Am I too late?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:

Rossco - insured?
Custom_Bug - Insured
Pink - insured
Mech - Insured

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
if it happens i'll show up. But i wouldnt have the guts to perform! way too many peeps, and too many who are far more adept than me at staff and poi... cant wait for this.. if it happens that is! It will be so cool1 fire and fireworks and stuff! wheeeeeeeeee!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

Rossco - insured?
Custom_Bug - Insured
Pink - insured
Mech - Insured
andythepoi - insured

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
How did the meeting go Fireflyz? Any news on whether this is a definite or not?

hug2

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Alton Towers...so that's where it is!!!

I am provisionally down with this.

I shall ring up Endsleigh Insurance

*scootles off*

*scootles back*

Why are all endsleigh employees rubbish? The guy has no idea what public liability insurance was.... eek
I said other places charged £120 for it.

but i will be well damn fine up for this.

*just waiting for the student loan to come through*

ubbrollsmile

Who is paying for the paraffin? wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
£140 now UCOF frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I know.

Thats why i said £120.

smile

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
stoke-on-trent map

for reference to those who have invites to my house!

i live in blythe bridge diagonally down and left by aboout 2 inces!

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
is that paul ince or his brother? wink

ok I got a little update as I saw Mike yesterday.........they're still in talks. The prices have been presented etc and he's just waiting to hear back for how much they're willing to spend aka how many spinners will be able to come.
No freebie entrants for our own safety crew frown big downer cuz we had the idea of getting in gril/boyfriends etc in as fire/safety marshalls unpaid as obviously we will need them and we all get to watch the purdy lights but they have refused saying they will provide crew to watch us/provide emergency safety throughout, if they go for it of course. So spouses etc will have to pay if they wanna come up and join us frown

I wish they'd just make up their minds and say yes or no to the whole thing dammit!! Although they are very keen it's getting the budget approved, but with the undoubted millions they spend providing 5 nights of fireworks this must be a tiny drop in the ocean.

So keep your fingers crossed folks, I reckon we're onto a winner and they've already got day spinners there

weavesmiley

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

No freebie entrants for our own safety crew frown big downer cuz we had the idea of getting in gril/boyfriends etc in as fire/safety marshalls unpaid as obviously we will need them and we all get to watch the purdy lights but they have refused saying they will provide crew to watch us/provide emergency safety throughout, if they go for it of course.

umm very questionable i say.

unless the spinners are staggered through the burns so that there is always an acceptable number of firespinners acting as safety's (you cover as safety's for each other), then i would carefully question the training and experience of their fire/safety marshalls.

not meaning to sound rude but if they just have 'fire safety trained' alton towers employees looking after you then i would be very uncomfortable - having gone on a corporate-type fire marshall course myself, i know that the training given there is vastly insufficient to be a firespinner safety.

if the safety's they provide are part of the company supplying and operating the fireworks/pyros then i would imagine they would be adequately trained but i doubt this is the fire safety/marshall crew they are offering...

enjoy but be safe ubbrollsmile hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
They have said that they have fully trained and qualified fire marshalls/first aiders who will be present at every point of fire spinning. Even if we had fully qualified fire men, ambulance men and our own roving hospital provided by us free of charge they would still say no and provide their own. They won't take any risks on health and safety cover provided by a third party so anything we need they will provide unconditionally.

Personally I'd rather have another spinner watching us do it and we will be staggered anyway but dems the breaks I'm afraid frown

I wish Mike as here to say more, he knows the full score seeing as it's his baby an all!! There was other stuff he mentioned last night that I'm sure I've forgotten rolleyes peace

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cole, ill hopefully be there as one of the performers, so ill be deffo spotting for all the guys round me, as always!

but i do see what you are talking about...

im hoping they provide equipemnt overppl!

does that make sence?

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
not really confused

explain please smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

They have said that they have fully trained and qualified fire marshalls/first aiders who will be present at every point of fire spinning. Even if we had fully qualified fire men, ambulance men and our own roving hospital provided by us free of charge they would still say no and provide their own.

this is my query - how well trained are these people?

qualified first aiders are fine for minor accidents but the fire marshall courses provided by most companies do not cover the type of situations you could encounter with a fire performing accident.

i'd want to know what their experience was with fire performance before i accepted that they could adequately cover the group.

but as you will all be staggering your performances, i guess there is no problem here smile

They won't take any risks on health and safety cover provided by a third party so anything we need they will provide unconditionally.

hmmm - if someone said that to me i would point out that as i am the person primarily at risk, i should be the one that has the right to refuse health and safety cover provided by sources unknown to me.

if i can provide my own experienced safety crew at no extra charge (and concede that theirs have ultimate control and ours only cover the safety of the performers, not the audience), i don't see how they could refuse...

but again, the staggering of burns completely nullifies any worry i had over this so i'll shut up now ubbrollsmile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
don't shut up keep talking......

Good idea cole, we'll get Mike to suggest that I think. To cover just ourselves with a free personell is a good idea and they can take care of the public.

as for the "how well trained are these people?" thing, I think a company as massive as Toussaurds (sp?) and of course the Alton contingency are far to big and famous to jeapordise any kind of public image with sloppy service or poorly trained . It's not like a little shindig place but of course it's easier to make something sound good than actually be good!

Page: