Forums > Social Chat > #2- I never want to hear about fuels again

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My son is really into reading. My mom got him a Harry Potter toothbrush and toothpaste set. He had me read the words he could not on the back of the toothpaste, including a warning that says "In case of ingestion, contact the Poison Control Center."...same as on my fuel.So I decided to check out other toothpastes, and low and behold, out of the five I looked at, 4 had warnings very similar to this. If you "eat" too much you have to call the Poison Control Center. shockedI know the results are different than fuel but still...Amazing, isn't it?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Lynn,They put so much shit in our food and other products today. there is a website for things like that but the address escapes my mind. If I remember it I will post it. Along the same topic here's another disturbing fact: There are so many preservative in the foods that we eat now that the bodies of the dead have shown that there is great decrease in the decomposition rate of the human body.Mortians (sp) predict that by the year 2035 inbalming fluid will no longer be needed to preserve the bodies of the dead because we are slowly pickling ourselves *PUKE*totally grossed out--N8------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
On the preservative subject..In the interests of science, I took a 'fresh' apple straight from the supermarket and left it outside in my garden.It took a whole month to go brown and it was still reasonably solid for a good 3 months.I've taken that as testiment to the amount of rubbish pumped into and all over our foods.I'm not really surprised that even toothpaste has a whole load of nasty stuff in, it seems most things do these days. It's got so bad that even breathing's going to kill us eventually frown------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
don't know where you get your apples but they never stay that well here...wulff

wulff

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Funny you should mention the tooth paste warning, Pele.Just a few days ago my dad was wondering the same thing, so he called the poison control center to find out. Acording to the Denver County poison control center the warning on tooth paste is for the flouride. Flouride, apparently, is really quite bad for you, and not to mention all the other strange chemicals that companies seem to put in just for shits and grins. I use the Tom's of Maine stuff 'cuz it contains the least amount of sugar (even though it does taste horrible) but I've had much less cavities since I started using it.On another, but related note:the FDA allows up to two percent of food product ingrediants to remain unlisted. It's kind of creepy when you consider that the sticky stuff on the lid when you open up a container of ice cream is SD antifreeze. Dr. Pepper contains it as well.If you really want to get scared about what you eat start looking into how many food products and food packaging contains Dioxin (A major ingrediant in the defoliant "Agent Orange" and a horrible carcinogen) Anything that is chlorine bleached at some point in the manufacturing process contains mass amounts of Dioxin i.e. white flour and anything made from it, some ice creams, and tampons (and if you ladies don't know already many brands of tampons include fiberglass hidden in the cotton to make you bleed more, so you'll end up buying more product. This, consequently, allows dioxin to be transmitted directly into the blood stream) and about a million other products.A year ago (maybe two now) Ben and Jerry's ice cream made a huge press announcement that they were going to use only oxygen bleached packaging for their vanilla ice cream because "any exposure to dioxin is too much evposure". Shortly after this someone independantly tested their vanilla ice cream and found something like 32 times the FDA's daily safe dioxin exposure levels in the ice cream itself, let alone the packaging. It's creepy really.It's really something that is worth looking into. You'll be totally amazed how many products contains this stuff, and from what I've read it's really nasty stuff too. It wouldn't suprise me at all if this was a major hand in the world's ever climbing cancer rates.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 28 January 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Sickpuppy the thing about tampons is FALSE..shame on you for being duped! Please stop believing every stupid FUD e-mail you get. And if you're ever tempted to, run it through a google search first. Likely the first three or four links will be WARNING: HOAX... etc etc. https://www.snopes2.com/toxins/tampon.htm

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Don't forget the ground up chicken feathers often put in small amounts into bulk manufactured breads to help flavour and improve the dough...There was a huge uproar here in New Zealand when a Vegan (capital v?) working for a major bread company found this out and realised he had been eating animal products most of his life.I won't say this is the honest truth, but it was on the news and in the papers...and here is the link to prove it, on the NZ Herald's website (the dominant genuine newspaper in the country)https://nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=219 655&thesection=news&thesubsection=general&thesecondsubsection=latest------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 29 January 2002).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I wonder about the cancer thing. Has anyone ever thought that it may be due to the fact that we can diagnose it better, or that since we are living longer, cancer is more likely to develop (accumulation of mutations). I think that sometimes people look for complex answers when the real reason is so much more simple. The truth is, almost everything can be harmful if taken in the wrong quantities.Sun light can kill. Oxygen is extremely toxic. People used to die of "old age". We now know that many of these cases could be heart attack, stroke, cancer etc. However, now these cases have a name and the incidence of cancer appears to skyrocket.I know there is a lot more dodgy chemicals and preservatives in food nowadays, but hey, people are living longer than they used to, so I'm not really that fussed! smile------------------Where's the foetus gonna gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
That's right, Bendy, couldn't have said it better myself. However there is something we can all do I think it's the things we don't eat, that are more likely to create health problems, and make them faster and accelerate any existing health conditions...So lets eat all our veges, and lots o fruit, and not so much fat (but a little is good!) and get lots of exercise.Lets make a difference! (cheesey grin)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 29 January 2002).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Read about the tampons in the Denver Post (a respectable paper, not one of those BS conspiracey rags) a few years ago, no shit.And it's not like I have a use for the things, any way. [This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 29 January 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
On the bright side, I now feel better about fire breathing dangers, as eating and drinking is almost as poisonous for me.Yay!------------------Your parents were wrongFire is good Play with fire

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That was the point audax! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, Bendy, the cancer arguement is even more interesting than that. People are "living longer with cancer" because it's being diagnosed earlier. That is, if I die at 50 from cancer a few years ago they probably would have found the cancer when I was 49 and said that I "only lived a year" whereas now the can detect the same cancer when I'm 45 and say "oh look he lived for 5 years, we're doing better!"Granted I believe that cancer treatment has been very successful but the phenomena is exaggerated by early detection.Also, do be careful about who's words you're reading. Is it the commercial media? Is it the legal department of Colgate? Or is it actual scientists? Also, who's interpreting that data? This goes back to an old arguement of mine saying that many scientific studies are misinterpreted by the media.Pele, I don't think that shrugging and saying "it's all going to kill us anyway" is the best option/outlook.Unless you want to go shot for shot with me. You drink whitegas. I'll eat toothpaste. The last one standing gets... umm.... oh wait, we're both poor, nevermind. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]