Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Just been reading about sorcha's self lighting staff...had an idea...SELF LIGHTING POI! (crowd: "ooooo...ahhhhhh")Attach some strings to the poi heads, soak them in a fast fuel, and keep the other ends in your hand with the lighter mechanism. Then while spinning, spark the strings and let go...the flames would travel up to the heads and ignite them, and then the string would burn away!Seriously, would this work? I first thought of it as a joke, but now I'm thinking again. Could be doable. I've never seen the ligher mechanism you spoke of, sorcha...maybe something else would be needed for the ignition...

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
One way of rigging it could be to have a fully insulated (with plastic around) wire that is fairly thin (poss. plug wire?)leading from a peizzo ignition source in your hand, along the chains and onto or into the wick itself. The wire sshould flex along with the chain and if it snaps you can easily replace it with a nifty bit of solder!Be careful as there may be a teeny weeny shock that comes back up through the chains and although its tiny tiny tiny its one hell of a surprise if youre not expecting it!Folowing in your thread of igniting string, yoiu could use flash string available from magic suppliers/dealers.Set it up as you described and ignite from the handles. The string burns more or less completely and fast. As long as you are using either a 'high flash'/fast fuel on your wicks or warm parrafin/kero then they should light up and you have no burning string or other wires in your way.Gruff

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Paddy check this gizmo out FLASH SHOOTER (ELECTRONIC)https://www.daytonamagic.com/Fire%20Magic/F14.htm... I was looking at these to do some self starting stuff,,it shoots a piece of flash cotton out .. what a wild way to light up. Riz

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys, that stuff look wicked! smile

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
*sigh* i have tried so many different thing for self lighting fire toys..i find that flash paper (a very fun thing)doesnt work very well in lighting the kero.it goes up super fast and if its not touching the fuel/fuel soaked wick.. nothin happens..so that is one risk. (perhaps if someone used larger ammounts of the paper it would work better... i personally cant afford flash paper every week for expereimenting frown )flash string would be cool!!! It be cool if you could get mass quantaties and take a peice of black ply wood and and finishing nails and build a sort of giant string spiro graph design and light it on fire in the show? Flaming spirograph!!!! what would sooooooooo cool. wow i love my ideas.. (some one has to say it.. might as well be me eh?) at the same rate why done we take flash cotton and spin it into strings then weave the string into clotht and then make flammibal clothes... underwear! the stuff cant get THAT hot and it would go up really fast..HAHAHAHAHAHA i just got he mental image of some guy with flammable boxers just walking down the street (everyone does it... especially when canada wins gold in hockey)and just WHOOOOOOOOOSH no more boxers *lmao*ok maybe not a good idea.. but damn funny.heh heh hehBtw i dont like hockey much either..had to edit cuase of typos.. sorry[This message has been edited by SorchaTheFlaming (edited 24 March 2002).]

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

gooblemember
71 posts

Posted:
have u tried piezo starterslike the ones on electric lightersi found they work with pre warmed equipmenttry it