Forums > Technical Discussion > help needed with flame retardants

Login/Join to Participate

carnelian angelmember
31 posts

Posted:
I've pretty much got a couple of costumes down, one that is mostly leather and another that is leather and cotton. However, my spiky punked out hair seems sort of boring for shows sometimes, and I've been wanting to create a headdress for a while. Does anyone know of a fireproofer that will work on wigs, either synthetic or human?

kneurbitmember
13 posts

Posted:
carnelian angel, wigs are naturally flame resistant. that dosen't mean that they won't melt but they are not going to instantly combust if hit.

I create, I destroy... who said you can't have the best of both worlds!

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Ive never heard of one for wigs before, but many magicians who use fire/flash props often take the precaution of doing their clothes and surrounding props too.Check out a local hardware store or better still your local magic shop/society to find out what they use. They will be more than willing to help if you explain your plight - and im sure one or two of them may even use it on wigs too.Be warned - the stuff STINKS and may leave slight stain/white bloom, even on dark materials. Im quite sure I posted something like this before so try doing a search.Gruff

carnelian angelmember
31 posts

Posted:
thanks kneurbit(how do i pronounce that?)-yeah! off to the beauty store!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hey hey hey guys, be very careful when making generic statements such as "wigs are narurally flame resistant"Where is the basis for saying that? The majority of the wigs in use in western countries are the cheap plasticky childrens wigs, which not only melt and burn skin but have fine filaments that can easily burst into flame.Be careful what you say on this site, as if its not the truth and someone believes you, you could be responsible for them getting scarred for life or even dying. Especially when it comes to clothing and headgear, which is one of the most common ingredients for serious fire injuries.I'm assuming you are talking about professional stage wigs, although I've seen many cheap plastic wigs used in top-end productions, so assuming that they will all be high-grade or made from human hair sounds sensible but isn't necessarily the truth.As for actual flame retardents, almost all of them are pretty toxic and not really suitable for wearing next to your skin. Check out the information on the actual contents and reactions beforehand for each product, and be aware it would be safer to wear at least a second layer of clothing underneath and to wash that layer regularly.Personally, I'd try to stick with tightly bound and thick cotton and natural fibres, such as denim and towelling (with out frays), spraying them with water from a mist bottle beforehand is a safe, non- toxic, cheap and easy solution.If you want genuine flame retardent costumes, you'll be looking at the stuff the stuntmen use which is both unweildy and cost thousands of dollars to make...Not meaning to sound overbearing, but heresay and generisations in our hobby can actually kill people, so we need to be far more aware and cautious when giving advice than the local book clubs...Many thanks------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?