TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Hey, I know this subject has been covered before but I never got a satisfactory answer. Is there a way to concoct "glow stuff" in a normal high school chemistry lab? I'm not asking for huge 12 hour glow times, or insanely bright ultras. With basic (nothing to exotic) "ingredients" is there a way to cause a luminescent reaction? Thanx

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
when i was a kid in germany i got a little chemistry set for christmas, it told me to put a couple of different liquids together and it would glow. all i got was some kind of purple water that didnt do diddley squat. wish i could help...

anyone got a light?

Blackfiremember
15 posts

Posted:
Hi TaiGuy,Yes, there is a way to cause a luminescent reaction, but it last only 1 or 2 minutes and doesn't glow very well. I'm sure you would be disappointed. ------------------Blackfire

Blackfire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
No.[Chemiluminescence requires pretty sophisticated dyes. You can go out and buy the ingredients and mix them together but you're essentially just mixing the sophisticated dyes and reactants together. You'd essentially get the same amount of satisfaction cutting open a glowstick, pouring the chemical outside the glass tablet into beaker "A", putting the chemical inside the glass tablet in beaker "B", pouring them together and saying "Look I made glowstuff!"]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
C'mon NYC,There are f**k loads of chemical reactions that will chemiluminess I am currently researching what will be the best for glow balls (especially looking for one that I can easily and cheaply reverse) grinIf I find a cheap and relaible solution I will post results grin

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
the best paper I have come across yet is at the site below I am a little skint coming up to christmas at teh moment but I will be investigating soon.https://www.chem.leeds.ac.uk/boronweb/ormsby/lect_demos/texts/Demonstration_23.htmenjoy grin grin grin------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)[This message has been edited by Mark P (edited 03 December 2001).]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Errr anyone know where you can get bis(2,4,5-trichlorophenyl-6-carbopentoxyphenyl)or 9,10-bis(phenylethynyl)anthracene from? It seems to be the other ingredient in glow sticks according to the above page. Hydrogen peroxide is pretty much hair-bleach isn't it?(Forgive me - I am a drummer)Hmmmm.------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire[This message has been edited by Durbs (edited 03 December 2001).]

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Dr. Spinmember
15 posts

Posted:
You can get the oxalates and dyes (anthracenes and such) from Fluka/Sigma/Aldrich (they've all merged). Ordering from these guys is easy if you have some relation with academia (work in a lab or are a grad student) where we place orders from them all the time.The dyes and the oxalates are what kill you price wise. I have to concur with NYC, it really doesn't come out easier or cheaper, and is mostly fun to try once to see how it works.There are other ways to make things glow. If you can throw a black light into the mix, there's tons of cheap, easy things to play with (fluoroscein is amazing), but among chemiluminescent reactions, the glowstick reaction (oxalate + H2O2) or the luminol reaction are probably the best, and like NYC said, they're not all that cheap, or exciting compared to glowsticks.Dr. Spin

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The best/cheapest way to find bis(2,4,5-trichlorophenyl-6-carbopentoxyphenyl)or 9,10-bis(phenylethynyl)anthracene is by cutting open a glowstick.If you all would like, I will cut open some glowsticks and put them in a bottle labled: "bis(2,4,5-trichlorophenyl-6-carbopentoxyphenyl)or 9,10-bis(phenylethynyl)anthracene" and then sell it to you at an inflated price. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
damn... frownok, well thanx newayz...(going to sleep on it, and mebbe think of sumting else while im exploring my sub-conscious)

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff