Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > I am just starting Poi, what would be a good start?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Melvoelker02BRONZE Member
Coffee is a Drug!
4 posts

Posted:
I am just starting and I dont know what to order?? Any help would be great!! Thanks
EDITED_BY: Melvoelker02 (1244843988)

bbrittaneePoi + Hoop
21 posts

Posted:
I just started aswell.
And i ordered my first poi set from this site, i ordered the tailed poi.

I was told they are goood to learn with .
Because they are light and you can take the tails off which is easier to learn with and then when you put the tails on once your ready .

They honestly werent reeeaaally what i expected .
But i like them so far .

-- When we communicate with one another and we feel that we have connected and we think we’re understood.. i think we have a feeling of almost spiritual communion…
I think it’s what we live for ♥

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I used rice in balloons in socks. smile

150g of rice per balloon in kneehigh socks. They'll stretch a bit when you first start to use them.

They are really good once the bulk of the stretch is gone, if you can buy socks without a lot of stretch in them to start with, even better. I've found a couple of pairs that were perfect like that.

hug

keb84stranger
10 posts

Posted:
I've got a home made pair which I really like.
I put about a wine glass full of rice into a food bad, which them went in the bottom of over the knee socks...I got some brightly coloured ones off the market so they are pretty as well.
I use them for indoors practise, and learning new tricks as there are no tails to get tangled!
An added bonus is when you hit yourself it doesn't hurt!

Something else which has helped me are the various videos - I've got the 'Art of Poi' one, and have also used some of the beginner ones off playpoi.

Have fun!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
My beef with tails is that the CORDS get tangled as well... and can take a few seconds to untangle.

I started with tails because I wanted poi that I actually bought, thinking money laid out meant quality product... this was not the case, I found.

Colecord on your tails could go quite nicely, but not as nicely as socks, however.

Apologies if it seems like I'm ramming my opinion down your throats at all but I had a really hard time learning with the tails as it gave a lot of downtime and could have frustrated me and demotivated me in the early stages... the early stages are really critical for getting a solid enthusiasm base so minimising frustration is important. grin

hug

Laura_OHareSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
I got the jailhouse stripe sock poi from on here as my first pair and really like them although I've not had anything else to compare them to so who knows! The reason I went for these was because when I took a few workshops in Poi, that was what we used there so I figured it would be best to keep going with those.

Wara_Dustfingerstranger
4 posts

Posted:
I have made my own Poi par using a light chain,two rubber balls (also light)and some strong fabric for the handlers (I really don't have a lot of building material). It works quite good and it doesn't hurt much to be hit with it (which happens a lot hahahahaha,anyway it's a lot of fun to try them!^^

He'd ask the fire to write that name in his heart as well.

Melvoelker02BRONZE Member
Coffee is a Drug!
4 posts

Posted:
Thanks Guys for all the advice!!! smile

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I've had almost every kind of poi under the sun, tails are good for learning planes and if you tape yourself to see what the moves are like, they provide a good visual. Like MNS said, they tangle fray and can be frustrating. You want poi that have weight to them so you can feel the moves and that are comfy so you can play for hours without blisters.

I <3 colecord... but thats just me.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
My first set were Globalz! They came with socks as well as strings but for some reason I can't get used to the feel of the socks!! Then I got a tailed set and then more glow stuff!! lol

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
I'm not a beginner but I love my Fluffies I got from this site. They are very forgiving, a bit heavy to begin with probably but I liked em.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

Wraith_DividendSILVER Member
Bunny Bane
205 posts
Location: i cant see because my head is up my posteria, Engl...

Posted:
JUST HOLD ON A SECOND

So youre telling me that when i started learning and i was using tailed poi instead of the socks i made that it would have been eaiser to use the SOCKS!!??

bearing in mind everyone that i am very impatient and even using this obviously harder way of learning i still managed to get two beat and three beat weaves plus front butterly and 'angel wings' then all of this in reverse on my first day

Ok that made no sense really but you should get the gist of it
i just dont understand
i mean im having trouble prgressing now with the harder moves but still.....am i being told that the tails dont help when learning?

if life is for love then to love is to live
-
a quote from me!
-
god i love me
-
and i while typing this im just itching to get back to my toast
-
YAY TTTTOOOOAAAASSSSTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
-
oh and by the way you just lost the game

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Yep.
They tangle and they're harder to untangle. Tails just plain get in the way, fine for simple moves, not fine for more complamicated stuff.

Though they do make people more likely to go 'Oooh' when watching you, even if you're not very good..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Also, depending on the length, I end up stepping on them.

They get in the way, although they can help in slowing stuff down.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Bunny Bane
205 posts

Posted:
fair enough

good thing i ordered some non-tailed ones yesterday then eh? tongue2

-
a quote from me!
-
god i love me
-
-
-

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Tailed poi hold a special place in my heart. Really good for keeping your planes in check. I think it was MNS who said that buying stuff means quality. Making your own stuff gives you a sense of ownership, a kinship to your props that no one else has. Experiment.

Go watch resident evil 2
"My s!!t's custom!"

Bunny Bane
205 posts

Posted:
luv
that
film!!!!!

and i used to love my tails but i have had to get new cords because i bought a crap lot to begin with

-
a quote from me!
-
god i love me
-
-
-

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Tails get caught in the wind too and whip you in the face. I used to do photo shoots in an empty laser tag arena, black light and UV paint splattered war zone, UV tails were the COOLEST thing ever.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Sounds epic....

Any examples?

philisweatlySILVER Member
life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
cole cord and ogg poi. wOOt!

haha

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I know it's redundant at this point, but I really have to agree with the posters who mention rice in socks. I bought tailed poi first, and while they are largely fine, they do get tangled easily, and I had some problems with a few moves that I was only able to fix when I made a pair of sock poi and could see the "cords" clearly (the streamer poi cords being nearly invisible in motion). Not to mention that a half cup to 3/4 cup of rice in each balloon makes for heavier poi than most commercial streamer poi, which lets you spin them more slowly.

The further bonus is also that knee high socks are often meant to be showy and colorful, and I like my pairs* made from stripey socks much more than most commercial sock poi I've seen.

---
* Yes, plural. Come to think of it, I actually have a pair of poi for every week I've been spinning. That can't be a good sign...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
i started with glowssticks and shoe laces. I learned 2bt 3bt butterfly on glowstrings. However, i went up to the feedstore with a friend to get his check and another friend worked up there that i hadnt seen in a long time and he heard some rumors going around that i started spinning poi, so he gave it a shot.
He gave me my first pair of socks, they had sugar in a baggy in the bottom of the socks and zip tied it at the end. I knew about sock poi before i was glowstringing but i didnt care for the sock poi until he gave me the socks. I fell in love with the sock poi and put down the glowsticks. in my opinion glow sticks are to light and make things look sloppy, unless you're really good at poi. after about 2 weeks of sock poi, i went up to rue 21 and bought some ladies knee high socks, got 2 pairs for 5 dollars, tried to get the least girly looking pair i could find, but yet the girls still gave me weird looks at check out hahaha...
Ran up to walmart bought some tennis balls real cheap 2$ for 2 packs of 3.
Thats what i'm currently still using until i get my poi i order from HOP. I grabbed the double loop/swivel no stretch cone poi.
as well as jailhouse socks.

I dont really recommend trying to learn on glowsticks
and if you're a raver/ or just love the lights they have plenty of nice LED ball pois on the sight, as well as LED Balls you can throw in some jailhouse socks which look pretty nice from the pictures and ill soon find out first hand.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I first started learning with tail poi, and it was so frustrating. Not exactly forgiving when you hit yourself. I spent most of my time on the floor, nuts in hand, and tears on my cheeks. They do get tangled very easily too, which is infuriating.

Like most others, I moved onto socks with bags of rice, which was cool, but a bit too stretchy. I got some speever socks for my Oggz, but ended up filling them with rice in the end as they had no stretch on them at all and were really REALLY durable. I would really recomend them, once they get worn in a bit they are really nice to spin.

Although now I am using Colecord, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Experiment with materials and see which feels nicer.

Can anyone tell me if it's worth getting jailhouse? They look pretty swish, but I'm not too keen on getting Oggz again.
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1252642393)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't recommend tennis balls, still too light, imho. My poi heads are roughly 160g, though I think mine are on the heavy side compared to most, I find them to be perfect. I wouldn't recommend anything under 100g however and I think tennis balls are roughly half that weight, coming in at around 50g

hug

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
mm, recently upgraded from tennis balls to 155g-ish rice weights. Hell of an improvement

Just a dancer in the dark

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
hmm, i didnt realize tennis balls were that light, i've heard of people cutting open the tennis balls and filling the centers with golf balls, then taping up the tennis balls again for added weight.
may give it a try

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Or just put seeds in it. smile

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
how do you guys measure the weight, does everyone seem to have scales just lying around their house?
i use to have scales, but i got rid of all paraphanelia when i got on probation =D

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Yes. I do. tongue2

Otherwise, about 3/4 cup of rice works quite well.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
3/4 cup of rice comes to 150g, 1/2 a cup comes to 100g.

hug

Page: