Page:
SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Thought some of you might appreciate this:

'Transformers' action movie
LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- "The Transformers" -- the ever-morphing Hasbro toy line that spawned comic books, TV series and an animated feature -- are ready to change shape again, this time into live-action stars of the big screen.

RELATED
• Review: 'X2' a superior sequel

Angry Films chief Don Murphy (whose next film is "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen") and writer-producer Tom DeSanto ("X-Men" and "X2: X-Men United") have teamed to produce a feature-length, live-action movie based on the popular brand.

The duo are expected to shop the project to studios shortly, and DeSanto said they have already received interest from a handful of directors.

DeSanto is currently working on a story treatment for the project before he and Murphy hire a screenwriter to adapt it for the big screen.

"Transformers enjoys an amazing fan base worldwide, and we believe that we can create an incredibly fast-paced, exciting movie that will be appealing to anyone who loves action films," Murphy said in a statement.

Added DeSanto: "Transformers is one of the properties I have been infatuated with for a long time. Like 'X-Men,' Transformers offers an amazing mythology with all the elements to create a successful ongoing franchise, iconic characters, global themes and a world that has never been seen before onscreen."

The only time Transformers came to the big screen was in 1986 with the animated feature "The Transformers: The Movie."

Fear the evil monkey!

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
My childhood is returning to me.... this fills me with so much joy!

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
Someone (I can't remember who, does anyone know?) has redone the Transformers theme song, i have been hearing it on the radio a bit. It's a really slow version. My friend found himself singing along to a song he knew he hadn't heard before, took some not-so-gentle prodding to remind him what it was, then it all came flooding back!

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Take Dio's word for it...He's as giddy as a school girl!

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I thought that there already was one in the works...I remember hearing it mentioned in a thread about a year ago...

Gandhi Ganjamastermember
299 posts

Posted:
whow, wouldn't it be interesting to write the script for this
oohh

Why?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
they'd better not kill off half the cast this time 'round!!
me hopes cyclonus makes it back!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The movie RULED!!!! biggrin I'm still geeking out on it!

I wasn't expecting it to be a comedy, but I laughed a lot. Interestingly, some of the funniest lines were by the wisecracking Puerto Rican, and they were in Spanish without subtitles. The beauty of being in a theater in New York City is that about half the theater got the jokes (which were heavily profane).

The effects were amazing, the robots were beautifully done, and even believable. Yes, they differed from their cartoon versions, but I thought that they were greatly improved. Bumblebee was adorable and Optimus was the same character who I fell in love with as a kid (I cried when they killed him in the animated movie). I only wish they'd introduced us to some of the other robots more. And the hero (Sam Witwicky) is adorable (you just want to hug him).

Four years after the start of this thread, the movie DEFINATELY lives up to the hype!

Oh, and they managed to do an entire action film without even damaging New York City! I only mention this because New York City got destroyed twice during previews to other movies last night.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Ruled, you say? umm (*SPOILER WARNING*)

I agree, the effects were great. the robots did look cool.

'THE' noise made whilst transforming seemed to disappear after half way into the movie.

For some reason, The interstellar robots seemed to have a penchant for disguising themselves as GMC vehicles. *cough* sellout *cough*

I'm pretty sure that years ago, bumblebee was a VW beetle...

The spanish jokes were wicked. I think I was the only person in the cinema here who laughed at them biggrin

The guy who plays Sam Witwicky bears a huge resemblance to 'Mouth' from the Goonies.

The two main human characters make out on Bumblebee's bonnet (hood.) How disrespectful!!! and whilst all the other transformers are looking on... as they say that they watch us in secret... creepy.

The film was entertaining. but if you're a die hard fan of the original cartoon series, there will be some disappointments.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
RULED!!!!!!! **!!(Spoiler Warning)!!**

Luved it coz I've luved it for years tho bit dissapoined by a couple of niggly bit that an old fans will deal with (like theirs mouths actually move)

Good level of Violence and Carnage HehHeh

and Bummblebee looked better before the disguise upgrade. I just don't like cars that have been made in the last 5 years coz they are starting to look more and more HotWheels and I'm more of a Matchbox kinda guy.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

organic_poiSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
I was pumped about the movie, and ended up thoroughly let down. I thought the script writing was campy and awful, the jokes lame, and I there was a huge lack of characterization. I felt no connection with any of the transformers or humans. Just another big summer blockbuster special effects movie-that's all. Even with the special effects I wasn't too keen on, because everything moved so fast, and sometimes I had no idea what was going on.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Limits_To_Contest

The two main human characters make out on Bumblebee's bonnet (hood.) How disrespectful!!! and whilst all the other transformers are looking on... as they say that they watch us in secret... creepy.

Yeah. That wigged me out a bit, too. I mean...you're making out ON TOP OF YOUR FRIEND! There are sacrifices that must be made to having a super-advanced extraterrestrial alien robot friend who happens to be your car, and back-seat/hood of the car nookie is one of those sacrifices.

No, the robots were not the exact same that they were in the cartoon series, and nor should they have been. The robots in the cartoon series were clunky, child-like 80's dreams of technology. The robots in the movie were updated, 2000's, sophisticated pieces of very imaginative and well-done work.

I, for one, do not oppose change in movie foms of comic book series.

And the Spanish jokes were even funnier in the grating Puerto Rican accent that he had. LTC, I have to live around that accent. I've lost my beautiful extremeño accent and gained a boricua accent. It's so sad... ubbcrying

As for the product placement, how else do you expect them to pay for a movie like that? It's not cheap to have massive alien robots destroy downtown Los Angeles, you know.

Now, as an aviation buff, I have a major issue. They correctly showed Air Force One as a modified 747-200 when it was in flight, but on the ground they used the retired 707 version. Tacky... very tacky.

-Mike

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I can't really say much for previour experiences (my total exposure to Transformers when I was little was my cousin stealing an action figure I found) but I really enjoyed the movie anyway.

However, this comic makes a few good points!

Kupo!

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I loved it but beat this for geekiness, i got the whole original cartoon series.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Those who expected Characterisation in a film about robots beating the crap out of each other, directed by Michael Bay - DUHHH!!!

I was expecting a cheesy special effects film adaptation of toys and cartoons and it more than delivered. It is simply one of the best, slickest throw-away popcorn film I had seen in years. The Cheesiness that was there was very faithful to the cartoon - (Optimus Prime's moralising - Peter Cullen's voice has aged magnificently since the cartoon)

Like others I never expected it to be funny! (Best bit for me when that Decepticon Scout (Frenzy is it?) managed to walk around unnoticed just my walking upright and saluting ubblol) Though a few of the jokes I thought were a bit adult for what I thought was gonna purely be a kid's film. Shia LeBeouf was adorable! His was the only (human) character that needed focus really and they delivered. Everyone else was surplus to requirements *Queues up with Doc to administer a hug*

Like alot of summer films though, it suffered from 'we're expecting sequels so we'll rush the epilogue' syndrome. But BRING IT ON!!!

P.S. Thank god they kept the Stars & Stripes from making an obligatory so-blatant-I-actually-slapped-my-forehead cameo ('Spider-Man 3' anyone? 'Armageddon' doesn't count, that was a starring role...)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Dave, I get the sense that you might want to do a bit more LeBeouf than hug him... devil

-Mike

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
So... so awesome.

Words failed me when I left the cinema...

Its one of the first films were I've left it and gone "Hell... I'd pay to see that again..."

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I intend to pay to see it again.

This time in IMAX.

-Mike

organic_poiSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Those who expected Characterisation in a film about robots beating the crap out of each other, directed by Michael Bay - DUHHH!!!

I expected characterization, because I got that from the cartoon. Each transformer had a different personality, and you could empathize with them etc... You get a sense of character from The Terminator-another robot movie, or even Short Circuit! I just wish the movie was more serious and didn't take the cheesy campy route. Blah.

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
I did see it twice.

*geek*

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
the next transformers movie is due out in 2009, according to imdb smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

KneelSILVER Member
journeyman
80 posts

Posted:
i think if more characterization happened then less deadly robot fighting would have hapened.

i just loved it completely!!

(SPOILER)a little thing i did notice though is that aperantly the most effective weapon against the transformers was extreme heat in the missiles.....so if that was the case then wudnt they have just desintigrated in the atmosphere when entering earth??
EDITED_BY: shadesofgray (1186444394)

-Niall-

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think it was more an issue of an explosion.

The space shuttle can take re-entry, but a missile to the underbelly probably wouldn't be as well-tolerated.

-Mike

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Going to see the movie shortly, despite the critics:

(What an Austrian critic has to say about the movie)

Written by:

The good news: The CGI-effects in this movie are the best of all time. A big portion of the 147-Millionen-Dollar-Budget was poured into the animation and every cent is on screen. A new standard is set.

The bad news: 'Transformers' is a movie of Michael Bay (Armageddon, Pearls Harbour, Bad Boys 2).

But who needs or even expects something old-fashioned like a story if it's about the "Transformers"? Robots from "Cybertron"? Who expects a good script in a movie that is about toys?

Not that easy, prior to the great showdown, Mr. Bay has a few messages ready for us ordinary humans. Like the one that even the most inconspicuous hero can successfully engage the prettiest High-School gals with the right car and enough horsepower. We observe the US-Army in their heroic Middle East engagement, where GIs and natives are fused in best friendships. We learn that the US president might be a whimp, but as long as he's got a brave guy as head of the defence ministry - who takes the gun in his own hands - the country is safe.

Unbelievable (one might come to think) what clever blockbuster attempts directors like James Cameron (Terminator, Aliens) made, or how multi-million dollar flicks from Brian Singer (X-Men, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek) or Sam Raimi (Spiderman) try to capture aloof or unusual viewpoints...

This is not Mr. Bays' approach. He screens soldiers exclusively as photogenic, sweaty body-building boys ( wink sigh ubblol ), women are only silicon-pimped and dark tanned Pin-Up babes. Afro-Americans are caring for the lighter laughs being funny and hoggish.

2/3rds Mr. Bay is bombarding us not only with bombs and grenades, but with stereotypes. Exhausted and apathetic the viewer is waiting for the grand finale, the big-robot-bang... and he shalt not be disappointed. With the only problem that it seems to be never ending (i.e. 1/3rd of the movie). The basic fun in this destructive orgy, the infantile excitement over fighting mega-robots gives way to further tiredness. The viewer stumbles into the summer heated night, worn and torn.

At some times pure entertainment cinema can be pretty exhausting...

I'm looking foreward to it biggrin

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Don't listen to the critics. Especially as this one refers to Brian Singer and sings the praises of Sam Raimi. BRYAN Singer never made 'Battlestar Galactica' or 'Star Trek' and Sam Raimi is just as guilty of peppering his Spider-Man films with blatant US-flag waving solidarity as Michael Bay ever did.

Just go with the Robot B*tch-Slapping!!! biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol I hear you biggrin

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

LTC, I have to live around that accent. I've lost my beautiful extremeño accent and gained a boricua accent. It's so sad... ubbcrying

It has to be better than the accent I picked up in Andalucía! ubblol

They don't use words there, only sounds...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh, the Andaluz accent isn't so bad. Not too dissimilar from my own, actually.

Ever spoken with a Dominican? They're such lovely people, but you hear them speaking and you want to strangle them just to make them STOP TALKING THAT WAY!

-Mike

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
I loved it big robots and pretty girls what else could you ask for?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
such a wonderful movie. of late i rarely want to see action films, but the combination of the humour, the reminising, and the kickarse robots made it completely enjoyable. i was a bit disappointed that bumblebee wasnt a Vdub frown, optimus didnt have his trailer, and that they completely changed the reason the transformers came to earth (not to mention the general rushing of information via voiceovers) but my biggest disappointment was simply the lack of transformers. some that i was dieing to see were soundwave, the constructicons, the dinobots and the areobots, but i'm assuming they're saving those for the other movies.

all in all it was fun entertainment and i might actually pay to see the next one ubblol

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
am i the only one who was disapointed

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Page: