IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
Anyone seen this before? I understand it is not entirely accurate (how could it be?) but it certainly makes you think.

https://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock.swf

Feel free to tell me it is bogus - t'would be a relief. And I did do a search ubbloco

xo

... simplify ...

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
?????
what??

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
do you mean this
https://www.poodwaddle.com/clocks2.htm

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
I guess. The first link works for me. When I follow the one you gave me it all jumbles up?

Strange
x

... simplify ...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Seems nicely done.

Unfortunately, some of it seems mildly misleading.

What could the statistic for STD/HIV/AIDS mean?

I could see having a 'total std' which included HIV, but AIDS is a bit redundant? Misleading? Confusing?

I guess they say it's just a compliation of other resources so any controversy would be just passed along.

I am slowly becoming allergic to random data. Especially when out of context data is used to prove a point.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
Agreed. I still got a 'holy sh*t' sinking feeling while i was watching the numbers climb though. Interesting if its completely bogus... bloody terrifying if its at all accurate.
xo

... simplify ...

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
it would be very difficult to count incidents of certain medical desieases without acess to global medical records, so im not sure about all that.
but i wouldnt be suppirse if the births/deaths marriages bit isnt too far off.

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
it's non-committal mean (average) data spread across whichever time scale you choose. although not acurate I do think for SOME of the information it gives you a fair estimation on how often a particular thing occurs. like road accidents, makes you think a bit more about "it'll never be me" to "wow it COULD be me" obviously not accurate but definately though provoking.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Guess the clock runs on average informations per year... Global medical records (I suppose) are distributed by many NGO's and the WHO... But counting the odds should one make feel lucky and blessed for every day that we spend healthy and without harm.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I don't see it as all that ominous. Just remember to put everything over 6.6 billion and it seems a whole lot smaller. Erm... except for the earth temperature and oil pumped stats. Those are scary things.

However, I'm also a little bemused by the STD statistic. Why is it smaller than the HIV/AIDS only stat?

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
It was the oil and temp that made my jaw drop...

... simplify ...

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I am a little cynical about it...but if it's accurate, the extinct species is pretty shocking

I'm scared to look at it for too long in case it goes up

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
It's based on yearly statistics.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Wow, that made me feel very mortal and insignificant at the same time. Watching the earth temperature rise was what really got me, I was looking for the pause button and there wasn't one to be had.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson