Page: ...
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
OK. So here's the plan. I'm coming to Australia. I'll be coming on my own time with about 5 weeks to spare. I'm going to Christchurch for 3-4 days to visit some dude I know... biggrin

It will probably be around september-ish that I'll be going. I need to balance this against a planned trip to South America for some Spanish immersion that I desperately need.

Otherwise, I want to spend about one week in each place. That means four cities, five tops. I'll want to go exploring while I'm there. I can make side-forays, but nothing too extravagant. That means if you want to meet me, you might have to travel a bit. I understand what a pain that is; I live in a large country, too.

What four cities should I pick? Why? Where do you live?

There is one very important person, other than Malcolm, who I want to meet. I want to meet Taj. He's a true symbol of the spirit of this community and he's adorable. ubblove (Valura, honey, we need some photos, pleeze.)

So...where am I going? ubbrollsmile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Dentrassi, my advice to anyone at this point who is considering travel to the U.S. is not to.

I have no idea what is about to happen. What has happened in the last two weeks is utterly unprecedented. There are too many differences between now and 1929 to even allow anyone to pretend to predict the ramifications.

I'm hoping it will all blow over and leave a stronger, more central core of well-managed banks that will help to maintain the status quo and that this will be nothing more than a deep bump in the road.

I am afraid, however, that if this continues to spiral out of control, we may be looking at things that are far, far worse. My hostel's internet works in five minute fits and starts, so I can't reliably communicate via internet (this is one of those five minutes... but it may take me an hour to make this post). I have tried to call my mother, but she doesn't answer. Nor does my brother (who is also my financial advisor). I have no idea how much money I have at this point, or whether I can pay next month's rent.

I have to go back; I don't have much of a choice. But if someone offered me a job right here and now in Spain, I'd grab it. At least it would let me get to London more often. The problem is that the states of California and New York are so incompetent that I don't even have my medical license in either of those places, in spite of having put my application for licensure in to both states in July.

Thank god I'm a doctor. Doctors historically tend to escape most of these things relatively unscathed.

-Mike

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmm, can I suggest a wee pause and wait & see?? Everyone says the bailout has got to happen so chill a bit is my suggestion (with all due respect that is).
Just remember it wasn't long ago you were counting down the days to the San Fran move and now all of a sudden you're going to run away to Spain??!?!?

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: georgemcHmmmmmm, can I suggest a wee pause and wait & see?? Everyone says the bailout has got to happen so chill a bit is my suggestion (with all due respect that is).

We'll see. It appears that a toothless President has used up all his credibility in his own party, so now he can't make anything happen when we need him most.

Quote:
Just remember it wasn't long ago you were counting down the days to the San Fran move and now all of a sudden you're going to run away to Spain??!?!?

I've maintained for a long time that I would far prefer to be in SF, but that Spain is my emergency exit if the U.S. falls apart. Jews in Germany noticed as early as the mid-1920's that things were not going terribly well, which is why such notables as Einstein got out. I'm not saying that I fear genocide, but I do fear complete anarchy and civil unrest. If people can't afford housing and food, they will riot. And it will get ugly.

And I am not sure that our government is effective enough to pass a bailout.

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
They will Mike.
I'm here now and it will be taken care of, in time. The stalling is hugely a political move because literally phone lines of Congressmen are crashing from the volume of people asking them not to pass it. And the bailout doesn't garuntee everything will go back to normal, in fact, it's expected it won't.
But I understand you need a scapegoat.

Why not go to Aus anyway? You can't get much of a return on your tickets. You have the tickets and there are a tonne of HoPpers that would open their lives to you and you of all people should know how to travel on a dime, or less. The major part is getting there. Why sacrifice it if you already have it?
I agree with George. Freaking out won't serve to help anyone, or your travels. hug

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: PeleI agree with George.
Wow!! I heart Pele - will you have my babies??! kiss hug
lolsign

But that last bit - ditto what she said Mike - no point wasting the tickets even if the worst does happen. Yay for Mike in Oz - that's closer to NZ than now! ubbrollsmile

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DocThank god I'm a doctor. Doctors historically tend to escape most of these things relatively unscathed.

haha. i got the double meaning smile

and if Mikes fears of civil unrest come true, well at least you can feel safe in the knowledge that you can legally shoot anyone that breaks into your house tongue2 (/poor taste and wrong statements)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: georgemcOriginally Posted By: PeleI agree with George.
Wow!! I heart Pele - will you have my babies??! kiss hug
lolsign

George, I love you. hug

No.

tongue2
wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
bring your stethiscope over and do blackmartet appointments to fund your intra oz travel grin

if you only want to hit say sydney and melbourne you could realistically train or bus it. you'll lose some play time but it'd be cheaper.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: PeleOriginally Posted By: georgemc will you have my babies??!
No. tongue2

*sad* but just as well - it would be impossible without some medical intervention!! laugh3
offtopic

So Doc - go to Oztralia!

grin

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yeah come to Oz. Airfares or car hire even are cheap enough once you get here and there's always people driving around/putting people up. eg You can stay with us if you make it to Bris. We have a deck, a pool, plenty of practice space and generally there's a spare bed or three.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I have a bed in Sydney for you for a couple of nights, at least smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
The Autralian dollar has lost about 20% of its strength against the US dollar in the last couple of weeks. It's a pretty good time to travel here exchange-rate wise

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc LightningDentrassi, my advice to anyone at this point who is considering travel to the U.S. is not to.

well - ive just agreed to head to south africa for a project for a couple of months. In terms of relative risk of visiting countries - i think your neck of the woods will be a walk in the park.

im still pencilling in burning man next year. hug

D. ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So the news is the following. On discussing with my mother (of all people) she has told me that I should go to Australia and that she'll fund it.

So I'll be doing it on the cheap, and I'll need places to stay. The tickets to Aus are free, thanks to FF miles and I have a really good deal on some intra-Aus flights.

So here are my tentative dates

*Nov 2: leave SF
*Nov 4-5: Sydney (essentially an overnight layover to let me sleep and shower after a rather traumatic 14h flight on United Airlines)
*Nov 5-6: Christchurch
*Nov 7-17: Melbourne
*Nov 17-24: Adelade
*Nov 24-27: Perth
*Nov 27-Dec 3: Brisbane
*Dec 3-7: Sydney
*Dec 7: Arrive San Francisco

Who am I staying with?

-Mike

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Me!

But if u decide to spend more time in one spot and leave perth out we will cry lots but understand

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
frown I wanted to bags you Doc... but I have to OK it with Jedly and Mikey.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I would offer you to stay at mine. But unfortunately I live 2 hours away from Melbourne. But I'm sure some other HoPper lovelies will offer smile

I'll have to make the trip up to a Sunday spinning meet or something to catch up with you hug
EDITED_BY: roarfire (1223982962)

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ME!!!!!

I'm in a trendy suburb of Melbourne!! And I have awesome parents who can take you to see the Great Ocean Road in their car which is a GORGEOUS trip from here!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
um Nat..Ive already offered you guys as a childfree dogfree chaos free possible option....lol

I talked to Jed about it ages ago when Doc talked about coming out

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Doc you are welcome to stay with us at our place! We live a bit out of the way, but its a beautiful place! smile

I would probably suggest that because we are hectic people during the week (go to work at 7am get home at 8-9pm), that you come stay with us on the weekend eg friday to monday! - we can host a Barbie/miniDoof for you too and get all the Adel HOP people to attend* smile

as well as go to the beach for a fire spinning party on the Friday night if the weather is good.

so yeah - lots of fun!

Josh

*slackers will not be honoured

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: GnorMe!

But if u decide to spend more time in one spot and leave perth out we will cry lots but understand

Are you KIDDING? I'm going to Perth to meet you, Gnor. You are one of the reasons I'm going. So unless you (and a few other people, including Nat) all decide to meet me somewhere else at the same time, I'm going to Perth. That and I need a photo of me with a wombat in my lap.

Originally Posted By: Gnorum Nat..Ive already offered you guys as a childfree dogfree chaos free possible option....lol

I talked to Jed about it ages ago when Doc talked about coming out

Right. Might take you up on it. Let's see how I do with the dogs and kids. Although such an environment usually suits me. I love families.

Originally Posted By: Rouge DragonME!!!!!

I'm in a trendy suburb of Melbourne!! And I have awesome parents who can take you to see the Great Ocean Road in their car which is a GORGEOUS trip from here!

Are you sure you can handle all that losing? I don't want to really impose on people in Melbourne, so I'll probably crash Petey's place for a few days, then yours for a few days, and then perhaps spend the weekend with Josh because a mini-doof sounds like a fantastic way to end a week in Adelade.

Originally Posted By: roarfireI'll have to make the trip up to a Sunday spinning meet or something to catch up with you hug

Roarfire, you are another person on the "must-meet" list. Now, if you DON'T show up, so help me, I will rent a car (I have an international DL), drive to you, and personally kick your butt. Kill Bill style. Don't make me.

So, can we now help me amass a list of HoPers who live where?

So far:
Melbourne
Petey
Roarfire
Rougie (who just lost)

Adelade
Josh
Katinca

Perth
Gnor
Nat

Brisbane
Arsn & Valura
Dentrassi

Sydney
Bender
Flash Fire (of cone bra fame...and no, honey, you aren't living it down)

Right. Feel free to add away.

And feel free to PM me your phone numbers.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc Lightning Are you sure you can handle all that losing? I don't want to really impose on people in Melbourne, so I'll probably crash Petey's place for a few days, then yours for a few days, and then perhaps spend the weekend with Josh because a mini-doof sounds like a fantastic way to end a week in Adelade.

Dude, that makes NO sense!

-Mike

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc Lightning
Sydney
Bender

Hey Babe,

I believe Bender is a Melbournite, unless he has made a very swift move that I am not aware of.

For Sydney you can add me, but I think Brainstorma would be the one most sorry to miss out on you.

There are a lot of others in Sydney who are not regular "hop-heads". I would get in touch with Brainstorma to see what spinning events are happening, maybe get in touch with CircusSoc at UNSW too. And there is Newtown juggling on Wednesdays.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Additional: keyarghah is from UNSW and is around on HoP. Very friendly person who I am sure would love to hear from you.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Perth is home to Mr_Jedly, Circus-midget, Hana (Dexta) and Angus (Rubbergoose) who recently got married at Burning Man... Geo (though he's a geologist so he may not be around Perth...).

Help me out here Gnor.. Who else HOPs?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
*I feel all warm and fuzzy* grin
We will have a barbie for Doc as well. Im happy for us all to share in the love of the doc and would love another mass wombattage if possible.
Jorja and Coln are on here as is Poxe. Fi comes on sometimes as well. You me and Mike only semiregulars.
IM excited enough about Mike coming that I will stop playing wow for a few days in November!
Can u be in Perth Nat?

(How do I do smileys???)

Is it the Truth?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Keylargah is a good one to meet Mike as well as the lovely old school ones. She is a honey

Is it the Truth?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
No Ben in Adelaide!?!?!?

Ben come on HOP!

Is it the Truth?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Melbourne
Petey
Roarfire
Rougie (who just lost)
Bender

Adelade
Josh
Katinca

Perth
Gnor
Nat

Brisbane
Arsn & Valura
Dentrassi

Sydney
Brainstorma
Rozi

And feel free to PM me your phone numbers.

[/quote] Originally Posted By: Rozi[quote=Doc Lightning]
For Sydney you can add me, but I think Brainstorma would be the one most sorry to miss out on you.

Rozi, you're also one of the reasons I'm going to all this bother... hug

-Mike

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
eek

i just found out the other day i've got enough frequent flyers to get to melbourne for free and my gf and i are looking at november 10-14 grin you are a newly rememberd reason for it!

looks like i might be makeing it after all smile

Page: ...