Forums > Introductions > Why is it so hard to meet new people?

Login/Join to Participate

dirkjentlyBRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
Gah lol I’m almost tempted to try changing my name to shyguy (which would actually be a kinda cool nintendo reference but anyway slightly irrelevant embarrassed babbling aside now.

I made an intro thread a while ago and then never got around to replying to people that said hi to me in that, (that was only because I didn't realise people had posted in it and I figured it's to late to bump it now ) So hi and thanks to the people that spoke in that one.

I tried going to a Sunday meet a while ago, which was kinda cool although I found it a little hard going picking up conversation with people. But it was fun even though I really felt out of my depth. (Oh and IceAngel I was that guy you taught the 3 beat weave, I’ve mastered that now thanks! biggrin) Haven't managed to get back to another Sunday one yet, been pretty busy and a touch scared off since I only have my poi and everyone had at least one or two other things to play with.

I also tried going to the Wednesday meet in edinborough gardens yesterday but ended up being too scared to approach what was the group. Personally, I find it very daunting to approach a decently sized group of people that are all chatting away especially when the only connection is an enjoyment of spinning that nobody was doing at the time.
I ended up just trying to teach my boy friend how to do a basic weave since he was just tagging along to keep me company, Some guy rode up to us at one stage on a bike and talked to us briefly, (hi again if you come on here.)

Anyway, hopefully next time I’ll have more nerve to approach next time. But until then I thought I’d put forward a few questions.

How do you try to introduce yourself into a new group of people that already know each other?
Whats a good way to have conversations with people you don't know very well?
Any tips for meeting new people with the intent to keep in contact instead of ending on a feeling of "oh that was an interesting time, a nice random person... now what was I doing?"

'The prerequisite of originality is the art of forgetting, at the proper moment, what we know.' 32

JoKittynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dirkjently

Gah lol I’m almost tempted to try changing my name to shyguy (which would actually be a kinda cool nintendo reference but anyway slightly irrelevant embarrassed babbling aside now.

I made an intro thread a while ago and then never got around to replying to people that said hi to me in that, (that was only because I didn't realise people had posted in it and I figured it's to late to bump it now ) So hi and thanks to the people that spoke in that one.

I tried going to a Sunday meet a while ago, which was kinda cool although I found it a little hard going picking up conversation with people. But it was fun even though I really felt out of my depth. (Oh and IceAngel I was that guy you taught the 3 beat weave, I’ve mastered that now thanks! biggrin) Haven't managed to get back to another Sunday one yet, been pretty busy and a touch scared off since I only have my poi and everyone had at least one or two other things to play with.

I also tried going to the Wednesday meet in edinborough gardens yesterday but ended up being too scared to approach what was the group. Personally, I find it very daunting to approach a decently sized group of people that are all chatting away especially when the only connection is an enjoyment of spinning that nobody was doing at the time.
I ended up just trying to teach my boy friend how to do a basic weave since he was just tagging along to keep me company, Some guy rode up to us at one stage on a bike and talked to us briefly, (hi again if you come on here.)

Anyway, hopefully next time I’ll have more nerve to approach next time. But until then I thought I’d put forward a few questions.

How do you try to introduce yourself into a new group of people that already know each other?
Whats a good way to have conversations with people you don't know very well?
Any tips for meeting new people with the intent to keep in contact instead of ending on a feeling of "oh that was an interesting time, a nice random person... now what was I doing?"

Firstly, hi! I'm really new here but I have no trouble answering those questions ubbrollsmile

1.How do you try to introduce yourself into a new group of people that already know each other?

Well all I do is talk to one of the group of people for a while, then naturally they'll introduce you to the rest of the group of people & you'll all talk.

2. Whats a good way to have conversations with people you don't know very well?

Find a common interest and talk about it! The conversation will naturally progress from there.

3. Any tips for meeting new people with the intent to keep in contact instead of ending on a feeling of "oh that was an interesting time, a nice random person... now what was I doing?"

Make sure you take their number...and if you can, arrange to meet again another time! That's what I do..

anyway, nice to meet you and hope that helps! biggrin

dirkjentlyBRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
yeah my problem is actually approaching the group heh its hard when everyone already knows eachother

'The prerequisite of originality is the art of forgetting, at the proper moment, what we know.' 32

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:

I made an intro thread a while ago and then never got around to replying to people that said hi to me in that, ...

I remember it well! biggrin
In fact you should go back to it and keep it going 'cos this one won't be linked to your user name and people will get lost-did-id trying to talk to you and then you'll still be shy and lonely frown

my problem is actually approaching the group heh its hard when everyone already knows eachother

But that's how life is. You just have to bowl on up and say "Hi". If they're a fun bunch that you have something in common with, they'll usually include you as long as you tell them about yourself and participate in the conversation.
Be confident.
You said above "I tried..." a lot of times - methinks you didn't try hard enough...

Anyway, welcome back to HoP - now go and get your original thread back into action again! wink

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

d4rkly_cuteSILVER Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
I feel the same as you do, dirkjently. this will be my 2nd post on the board as I usually just read the forum.

It is quite hard to go to a group and chat. I learned my poi through classes and then, I went to a gathering. Even though I have been learning poi here and there in Melbourne for a year, I still don't know many people in the fire gatherings.

I guess it's because I'm am insecure and at the same time, the things that people talk about are related to things that they encountered in the past. Since I don't know their past, I feel like an alien who is trying to learn a new language. The feeling of being isolated is something that I go through many times. With perserverence, sometimes it works and sometimes, I just know that I have to move on.

At times, it can get depressing. For example, I just moved to London and I found out that the gathering in Spitafield is no longer there. Since there are no regular meetings, I have to make extra effort to look around the forum for meetings. Hopefully, I will get a chance to meet some people in London. However, if it doesn't work, c'est la vie.

I am not trying to say to give up hope, but perhaps, if you are really passionate about poi and you want to learn as quick as possible, then you can take my route first... which is to take a class. I saw a post in the events section on this website about a poi class in Melbourne and I am aware there are postings of classes in Juggle Arts near High Street and don't quote me on this, but I believe NICA teaches a little bit of poi.

If I was in Melbourne, I would not mind meeting you.

However, if you ever want to chat to someone, you can always send a private message to me.

I wish you good luck on your passion for poi. Don't give up, you will get there on your on time. And by the way... I understand you.

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
i think you just need to go for it. i know that sounds like rubbish advice and your thinking how ect ect. but jugglers are usually quite a freindly type smile if not a little strange biggrin

and remember you already have loads in common because your on hop, and you are interested in spinning!!

id suggest just taking a deep breathe, walking straight up to the group* or if they are in little groups then pick a mediumish one* and just say hi, and are you *insert name of group* and that you have tried to come before but were feeling a bit shy. usually at this point everyone will introduce themselves and look after the shy person biggrin

and as for keeping in touch! make sure you tell them your name! and ask when the next meet is, and ask who they are on here for example....cos hop is great for staying in touch biggrin and ask how they have done certain moves, or ask them to teach you! then remember to turn up again for the next meet! and they will remember you smile

i was in the same situation at the start of uni when i approached my juggle soc, and yes it felt just the same cos they were a close knit bunch, but i have become really close friends with my lot through learning, and now teaching the newbies biggrin anyways! i dont know if i was any help! but have some confidance in yourself *because you seem genuinely lovely* there is no reason why they wont like you smile so get in there and good luck smile

if i could be a busy busy bee...

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
Hi! i think i did pop into your old thread, but oh well!
I go to Sunday spinning every few weeks- I'm usually too lazy to get there all the time. Were you there last night? If so, I was the one dancing round like an idiot. Actually, that's me most weeks! But yeah.. enough of my rambling. If you go next week, come say hi!

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

dirkjentlyBRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
no i wasn't there the other day, really busy these past couple of weeks uni's back this week and work has decided that they need to give me as many shifts as they can grr. can't go this sunday either cos its my dads 60th birthday party but i'm hoping to go to the wednesday session next week as thats the next day i'll have free.

i've got thirsty merc playing at my work this wednesday so i can't go.

i think you guys have given me enough of a push that i'm sure i'll do better next time thanks alot for that.

also does anyone know where to buy sock poi that are weighted in the handles? i've got home made sock poi but they don't slide against eachother well enough for tangles and i can't see any that have weighted handles to through properly

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
I don't do Wednesdays. The few times I went, I couldn't find anyone really friendly, although I'm sure they're there!
Next time your heading to a Sunday gathering, pm me and I'll come meet you somewhere beforehand!

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:

doing?"

I'm not the guy on the bike (though I only saw two bikes on the night and I have a fair idea who you might have spoken to smile ), but I was at that meet on that particular night smile I'm not usually at Wednesday gatherings all that often this time of the year.

Do come down to Sundays under the bridge! There's plenty of folk that come down 6:30ish onwards smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

FloosoushooSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
Hi Dirkjently! I loved reading your post, i totally empathise with everything you said, i suppose you might say i'm shy.

[Quote]Personally, I find it very daunting to approach a decently sized group of people that are all chatting away especially when the only connection is an enjoyment of spinning that nobody was doing at the time.[/Quote]

ahhh, that's me exactly! i went to a juggling club in Oxford a few times alone, and i must say, it was terrifying! a lot of people standing facing the walls and juggling in silence broken only by the intermittent dropping of clubs... and another time a group were sitting around playing with balloons so i went to try and join them and they sorta ignored me to the point where i found myself laughing inwardly at my situation while too frozen in terror to get up and spin poi.

[Quote]Be confident. You said above "I tried..." a lot of times - methinks you didn't try hard enough...[/Quote]

that's what everyone always thinks. i think you're brave just for going. what helps loads though is if someone approaches you, saving you having to pluck up the courage to approach them and try and break into the group, which is especially hard, in life, not just in juggling.

they mostly come at night, mostly.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Hey Dirkjently :hello: and welcome wave to HoP.

I'd say you did the perfect thing: post this in "intro..." instead of "discussion". wink Good move hug wink

Keep it up smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i laugh a lot when i'm nervous.
wait a second, i laugh alot anyway.
the point is, eat your vegetables.
the end.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always