Page:
shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
i brought my sock poi in today for a giggle....

loads of poeple were having a go though... i tihnk i might bring them in more often... ill get away with it to cos im a 6th former.!

i was shocked though cos so many poeple have no idea what they are!!
is that just in the uk? or are the masses in other countires unaware of juggling toys except for juggling balls?

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

DougieAGOLD Member
62 posts

Posted:
I keep introducing my scouts and fellow leaders to poi and staff and most of them have no idea about it either!

So far I have got at least 4 people hooked and buying their own equipment - will be having a spinnign session at camp this weekend!

i just got my LED sock poi today and a new set of super furry poi smile am so pleased!!

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
i think there would be an uproar if young children started bringing staff and things into our school... though its full of scallies so theyd probebly just hit each other with them.
still i cant imagine the teachers being to pleased, there always having a go at me for purple hiar, but as i sed im year 13 so rules are a little different for me.

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

FatGuruSILVER Member
40 posts

Posted:
Poi are banned at my school because some teacher went on a power trip..... But when they weren't banned I facinated people with my socks. Everybody was asking about them. I only know a few people in ohio that spin. We are forming a spinning group.

"It is far better to know you think than it is to think you know." -FAT-

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
yeah i read that thread... pity that it got banned, but ive managed to get a few people interesed by bringing them in... only now they all want me to make sock poi for them, like its really that hard?
oh well

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
i used to spin alot last summer at my 6th form college, but then this year, the lovely grassy area is a building site for new classrooms.. grrr..

for every minute angry, you loose 60 seconds of happiness

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I didn't discover poi until after i left school but if i had it would have been far more entertaining than playing last card in the sixth form room every free period

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

DougieAGOLD Member
62 posts

Posted:
so every school plays cards in the 6th form common room I thought it was just mine!

I totally agree poi would have been much more fun - but again I'm sure my school would have banned them - not to say you don't find a sympathetic teacher and start a wee club though - make it legitimate

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
i've brought my poi in a few times, and i can tell you that nobody in my school has a clue about them either, again, its only juggling balls that they were familiar with.... there is totally something wrong with that! But since i've been bringng them in people have been really enthusiastic to have a go, its great because some of the people that have had a go said that they are going to get their own, or staff or something, which means i now have juggling friends at school biggrin and i don't think my school will ban it

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
I've brought my poi and my friend dented the whiteboard with them. Priceless moment. Ended up giving a performance with my glow poi in the computer lab during SDD, then trying to explain to my Modern History teacher why I was carrying 'a cosh' when weapons are obviously forbidden in school policy.

I haven't dared tried the firestaff after that ; ).

AvicusGOLD Member
7 posts

Posted:
as with many of you i have also brought my poi to school some people laughed having no idea what the heck i was up to ah ha but i had fun lots of people couldnt help but stop and watch all my teachers think im insane.. theyre not exactly wrong smile

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I think if I knew poi when I was in school, I would have failed. smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I've taken my poi to school a few times when I was in year 11 and 12... my friends loved them! A few people went out and found some of their own, which was cool... but the best thing was because of the size of our school (2000 people for only 2 year levels) no one laughed as no one cared what kind of stuff we bring because there's so many varied people anyway.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
At College, everyone seems to know what Poi are...

Not everyone can do it though of course. wink

I found that people seem to like watching more advanced diabolo tricks too - as they've only seen simple catches and stuff.
There's a guy that does staff-doubles, but no one does contact to my knowledge. I've only mastered the more basic contact stuff myself, thanks to Mcp. ubbloco

A couple of contact-jugglers too.
And I'm the only unicyclist. frown

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
What School do you go to??? Im the only spinner in my school. No one had any idea what poi,staff,fire spinning..etc was. I am now officially known as a circus freak/carni/special because of my hobby. Aaaaa never mind, only 3 weeks of school left before I finish school biggrin Uni will be different hopefully.

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Sussex Downs Lewes College. biggrin

I too am known as the circus freak. tongue
Lots of people at my college know what poi is, even if they can't do it.
The people who do poi don't do any really advanced stuff; just weaves, butterfly's and such.
I only know one person whop does fire staffs, he does doubles; and doesn't know what contact is.
There is a really good juggler and his juggling buddies, he does a lot of contact juggling also.

I know of four jugglers, two diabolist, One staff spinner, four poi spinners, and one baton twirler.
Added to that theres me; I'm a Unicyclist and Diaboloist, I also spin poi and I'm learning contact staff.

So no loads of circusy peeps, but enough.
But their skill level varies from beginner to "alright"
The doubles guy is pretty good though, as is the contact juggler. smile

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

old hand
865 posts

Posted:
sounds like ou go to a fairly cool college....

yes i am to known as circus freak.... but mainly "pidge you are a freak" or other such not so nive things people say in jest.

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

tavopunknewbie
1 post

Posted:
hey i do a little of poi and a little of devil stick, im from mexico and also when i go to schoool an play there people look at me like look at that hippie guy hahaha

i guess juggling toys are not that popular at least not over here

see ya

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
you guys think its bad being a student: try being a teacher and trying to get 5 mins to have a spin sometimes when every pupil comes up and says what are you doing??

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Hah, yes, I imagine that would be quite strange. ubblol

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
im the only person in my school that does i properly though i have got many peoples interested in it =)
few people comeup to me, say that they can do it yet they only mange to do the weave slowley =/
tryin to get peoples together and tryin to get p.e to do it!!!

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
ooo, you're a teacher and you spin in school?

God knows what the reaction of the kids would be if I started doing that.

Although, whenever I've brought my hat in (on fancy dress charity days), the kids couldn't really care less, but the other teachers were all fascinated!

I always wanted to set up a juggling club in school, but I don't have time unfortunately frown

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

jeangenieGOLD Member
19 posts

Posted:
hi!
i reckon poi in school would be great! when i go back to work next year....

i'm thinking of including it as part of the curriculum... under sport-dance of other cultures. now i have legitimate grounds to teach poi!

YAY! no more bloody football!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"Although, whenever I've brought my hat in (on fancy dress charity days), the kids couldn't really care less, but the other teachers were all fascinated!"

I assume you aren't talking about a normal baseball cap.
The thought of teachers being bewildered by a hat makes me laugh. biggrin
"Oh my god, what is that odd thing on your head? Its incredible!" ubblol

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
Quite a few of kids who come to the gallery know what poi are and I think its having a bit a craze with 9/10/11 year olds - in local schools.

As for teachers - I know a juggler who wanted to start a circus skills (mainly juggling, poi etc) at school but the Head thought it was subversive - v. odd!

On another note - when I did poi workshops for the local council loads of the teenagers knew what poi was and were practising in break time - spreading the poi love - yay!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

MolochSILVER Member
Shirt-Cocker Extraordinaire
47 posts

Posted:
I go to a military academy with a bunch of high school f-ups and college amry officers, and I'm the only one who pois frown (no surprise there) But being the free-wheeling individual I am, I did a glowsticking performance for the talent show, blew a few minds, and am rather pleased with being the only one who pois now lol

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
My students are fascinated by the idea of it. I teach at a primary school in the States, though, and really try to minimize the overall mayhem and distraction that kind of thing can cause in my school.

Its one thing for me to explain or show them a slight demo here and there, but it would get me in trouble, and my poi banned, if I really started spinning during the day. smile

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
After school circus workshops - thats what got me interested in this peculiar spinning hobby.

Start one at your school biggrin

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

AstaraBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
last year i brought my poi to schoool every dayat first people thought i was wierd until they tried it themselves. it was funny because NO ONE had any idea what they were!!! every where i've gone (every state) it's amazed people because they've never seen them before. however last summer, i was in california visiting my realitives when i saw a girl infront of me (i was at the mall) spinning poi! i got very excited and ran up to her (i'm not exactly shy), to make a long story short i started meeting her every week for a burn with her, her friends, and the **get this** poi instructer who lived down the street from me!!!!!! any way, when i got back to school my performance group was called down to the office and informed us that we were no longer aloud to bring poi to school because some kid was stupid over the summer and used tennis ball poi (with gasoline) to spin!!! ...he blew himself up eek.... i hate idiots... ubbidea

A smart monkey never monkeys with another monkey's mokey.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
I took mine in once or twice, no one really knew either and no one seemed really interested, but everytime i go to a large gathering I usually take em and Iv managed to hook a few people on em smile But yeh. Im very dissappointed with my uni as they dont have a spinning society

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

stealthfoxBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
I had never heard of poi until I went to college, but it seemed pretty big by the time I graduated. Just recently I did an audition to teach for the Princeton Review (they have you teach something non-academic to see your energy and enthusiasm) so I taught a bit of poi, and they ate it up like crazy....I have a feeling poi is going to be huge in another year or so....which kind of makes me sad, cause part of me likes knowing something that the general public knows little about...makes me feel special, sigh.

Page: