Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Here in the US it shows on Discovery Channel.

It is more reality than any other show. The host, Bear Gylls(I think is his last name), gets dropped off with a camera and sound man into the most extreme conditions with nothing and has to figure his way out within a set amount of days. The two man crew is only allowed to step in should his life be in serious danger.

It's pretty interesting and as an avid camper/hiker, I have found quite a bit of it helpful to keep in mind and stuff I really had no clue about.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
That would be Bear Grylls. He's better known (as far as I'm concerned) by his climbing feats. At the age of 21 he broke his back in 3 places in a parachuting accident, almost killing himself, and very nearly ending up paralysed. The next year he went on to climb Ama Dablam in the Himalayas, and then the year after that he became the youngest brit to climb Everest.

The book 'facing up' recounts his time on Everest, and is quite an interesting read (despite my views on Everest).

I saw this show advertised, but forgot all about it. I'd be interested in taking a look, to see if it's one of the good survival shows (like Ray Mears), or one of the crappy cheesy ones (like Survivoman).

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It's a good one. He was out for over 18 months because of his back.

I am remarkably anti-everest as well. Especially because the other day I saw something on it where 600 people were climbing it all at the same time.

Pele

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by jo_rhymes

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I thought this was supposed to be on on Friday night. No such luck here in Canada.
Maybe we're just stuck with 'survivorman'! ubblol

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

sassyMy mother advises not to stand on the dryer whilst drunk
43 posts

Posted:
Have you seen 'survivorman's' new show, about his adventures in building a family home off the grid....

......(*blush*)....I kinda like survivorman.....

Such shiny baldy-ness....

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by jo_rhymes

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Really? I think the fact that this is a show about survival and has many techniques in it that I am sure most of us do not know is cause for discussion, which is why I put it here.

And actually, there was a discussion going about the past of the host that was a bit more than a chat and opinion before it got hijacked as such.

Back to the topic and discussion at hand, I've never seen survivorman, or heard of it to be honest. I only accidentally came across this show and watched it because it was dealing with lost skiiers, which we get every year here (well, when we have cold and snow). I recently took up snowshoeing and watched Bear make a set, which I found fascinating. It's what got me hooked. Well, that and the fact that he used snow to take excess water from his hair. That was incredibly interesting and I *never* would have thought it.

The only thing I don't like about the show is every now and then he uses stuff that a lost hiker wouldn't have. In the Rockies he came across an abandonned camp and used a tin left over to boil water. I understand the pragmatism behind it but how many people lost there have that fortune? It's not like there are irresponsibly abandonned camps everywhere. He never showed how you would sterlize the water if you didn't find one...and I think he should have.

It's nothing I ever covered in girl scouts. We just had metal canteens.

Herm...now I am thinking about it...what would you do?

There are alot of "wildnerness people" here. What are your best survival tips?

I think the best one overall, and one not followed on the show, is to not be alone. I know so many people who go hiking alone and it simply seems to be asking for trouble. Even if you both get in a precarious predicament, you can always rely on each other for morale...ya know?
EDITED_BY: Pele (1168196062)

Pele

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yep, I agree with Pele on this. Probably the best idea is to go bushwalking with a camera man and sound man, their supplies, a GPS location system, a team of writers and an international television company for back up. That way if it gets really bad you can resort to cannibalism and earn your living at the same time.

Meanwhile back in the real world, those new LED torches that operate through being wound up or squeezed are great. Eliminates deciding between beacon/signalling and lighting your own space. Similarly, a huge thin plastic sheet like painters use and a few bulldog clips. Virtually weightless water/insect proof tent in minutes.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
The best of this brand of survival experts is Britain's Ray Mears, I reckon. He's so knowledgeable, talks about the history of survival and teaches the skills he uses very well. And he rocks biggrin

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I collect survival manuals. I've never found one that's good for all situations, but the two I've found best are How to Survive on Land and Sea by Craig and Charles Whitehead (superb water survival chapter, something very often missing from the others), and the SAS Survival Handbook by Lofty Wiseman, which is great for temperate zones, and I can credit it as being the book that got me making explosives when I was 13.

Best survival tip can be gleamed from Lofty; keep your knowledge present, and don't overestimate your own abilities.

One of the others I have starts off by saying "survival is a mindset, never give up." The goes on to say "but if you do, here's how to conduct a funeral..."

I can't tell you how seriously I took this stuff; I knew virtually every plant in temperate Europe over 15 years of study, experimentation and eating some truely awful things. Then I moved to Australia and it's all gone to pot.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
.... I <3 Man vs. Wild.

I think it's an absolutely splendid show, particularly how it sometimes seems like he is practically making a wild gourmet out there (may I point out Bear referring to a brown trout as "the best sashimi you could have" or him getting excited about finally having a chance to make a pit over for tiny fish).

I also adore reading survival guides, and I do have to agree that there is no one perfect survival guide. Heck, the US Army one, in several out-dated versions, recommended performing motions and actions of an animal in distress to ward off a shark (which, really, is more like ringing a dinner bell!)

And I'm starting to get the same, distasteful opinion of Everest as others seem to have. At least, I started to when a local newspaper drew a connection between the Oregon mountainclimbers that were lost and a climber on Everest that died when several climbers just walked right past him (I think his name was Sharpe, something like that?).

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Eera, and now it's time to start all over! lol That is an issue, even with moving within a continent, is that you can know all of one area but never know all of everywhere.

I agree that water survival is a rare find indeed.

LOL Kathain at the US Army thing. Perhaps the thought is that the one person who actually reads that chapter will fill the sharks up and they won't eat everyone else! lol

I didn't see anything about that on Everest Kathain! Oh my!
eek Though I don't doubt it happens all the time. I just hate that it is no longer really a challenge as much as it is a money-grubbing tourist trap which invites alot of environmental damage to something that was pure and lovely (albeit dastardly). The show was talking about how they leave the old ropes there so you have to be careful not to grab the wrong ones. Once the new ones are put in, shouldn't the old ones then be removed? That's when my straw broke.

I think you are right Eera, that overconfidence probably does alot of people in. The guy who had to hack his arm?leg? off with a pen knife admits he was pretty cocky until the rock landed on him.

Pele

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
I love Ray Mears, you should always take one with you when camping.

My favorite survival tips:

ALWAYS take a shemagh wherever you go.(1m.square scalf) I have put mine to over 20 different uses so far. Including: Bag, hat, anti insect face wrap, towel, sun shade, picnic blanket, pillow, etc....
Always keep a small knife on you where you can reach it quickly.
Use the thin layers of peeling birch bark to start a fire.
Bracket Fungus work as firelighters, even when wet.
Willow bark is as good as asprin if you chew it. (not recomended for anyone allergic to asprin.)

I guess the most important rule beyond the whole "be prepared" motto is:
Survival techniques are for survival. Not for your own entertainment.
I'd hate to think of a forest at a festival being robbed of all it's bracket fungus because people knew they made good firelighters.
Instead, be prepared, take with you what you need, don't rely on your survival skills at all.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Eera, and now it's time to start all over! lol That is an issue, even with moving within a continent, is that you can know all of one area but never know all of everywhere.

Yeah, that's the same position I'm in now.
As soon as I was old enough to understand, my parents started teaching me how to get by in the wilderness, and help ensure my own safety and survival.
Almost 20 years of learning later, I'd reached a level where I felt I could comfortably survive on my own pretty much anywhere in Europe (apart from high alpine in the winter), and often taught some basic survival skills to the groups I took on multiday hikes up in the French Alps, for work.

Then I went and moved continents, to live in Canada.
Obviously lots of the basic principals are the same, but many plants and food sources are different. Also, I've never done a great deal on winter survival skills- something that's hugely important for living in the Canadian Rockies.

I try to stay excited about the fact that I have a whole new country, and a whole new (and extreme) environment to learn about. But at the same time, it's a bit of an alien feeling to me, not being completely comfortable that I could survive should anything go really wrong.

I'd love to go on a survival course specific to extreme cold and snow, but I know I'll never be able to afford to.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I know there are a bunch of the extreme cold and snow courses that are different prices, so maybe someday.

I can survive here and in fresh water (since Lake Ontario is so large we had to learn survival for it).

One of the things I like on MvW is that his team does a crack job of research ahead of time. He's been pulling up "the natives...this or that" which is impressive.

PWB put up the question recently while we were watching the show, which terrain/s would I be most fearful to have to survive in? My first would have to be avalanche style survival. One of the things I was shocked about was how little available food and drinkable water there was in the Rain Forrest. It seemed worse than the desert, so Rain Forrest would have to be my second choice. Then Desert.

What's yours?

Pele

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

And I'm starting to get the same, distasteful opinion of Everest as others seem to have. At least, I started to when a local newspaper drew a connection between the Oregon mountainclimbers that were lost and a climber on Everest that died when several climbers just walked right past him (I think his name was Sharpe, something like that?).

Unfortunately this happens all the time on Everest.
Most people who are on the mountain shouldn't be on the mountain- they're there because of how much money they have, not because of their climbing skills. Most of the time the people who are capable of being on Everest are too busy looking after paying clients to be able to help fellow climbers in difficulty.

But, sometimes the selfishness of other climbers is so apparant that it shocks even the people who are used to climbing over frozen dead bodies to get to the summit.
One such incident is illustrated by Joe Simpson in his book 'dark shadows falling'.
In May 1992, a member of a (somewhat dissorganised) Indian team lay dying just 20-30 metres from the tents of a dutch team at the South Col.
He was spotted by one of the dutch teams sherpas, lying in the snow, just able to lift his hand enough to wave. The terrified sherpa ran back into the tent to tell the dutch climbers that he had seen a dead man waving at him.
Radio conversations with the base camp doctor followed, as the dutch team wanted to know if there was anything that would cause a dead man to wave. The doctor clearly told them that if the man was waving, then he was alive.
The climbers, without leaving their tents, decided that the Indian climber would have been outside for too long, and his core temperature would've dropped too low for him to survive.
So they left him to die on his own, in the snow.
They never once went out to check what condition he was in, and if it was possible to save him. But what shocked people the most was that they wouldn't even go out and comfort him whilst he died.
In the morning they stepped over his body, to pursue their (failed) summit attempt.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mand eek

Wow. I couldn't imagine.

While I was folding laundry the other night that show Everest came on and showed all these "team camps" (really, lets face it, what it is now is a glorified tour rather than a team or a real endeavor). The tour leaders (meaning the different companies who booked these) were spending so much time watching each other and rivalling over who could get their team to the next camp first it was what really set the distaste in my mouth. Two people from one of the teams had already died and the one leader off handedly said that he was sure about 3 more would die before the end of the journey. I was soooooo disgusted that any person would even run a business where they could so easily write off someones life as long as they paid their share to be there.

But then again, I really don't understand why anyone would want to climb Everest anyway to be honest. shrug

Pele

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Have you gone so far as to make a little survival tin with flint and steel, fish hooks etc in it? I had one in one of those old-fashioned tobacco tins (everyone else thought it was full of dope), which I carried with me religiously at all times. Until I realised that the chaces of needing to use it while shopping for shoes in Southampton was kind of remote. It comes with me on hiking trips though.

The place that I'd find hardest to survive would depend on the situation; if you've got plane wreckage in a desert you've got shelter and the means to get water from condensation, food ain't so much of a concern, snow cover makes it easy to dig for shelter which would be preferable to a very exposed area, but would make food harder to find. If you're dumped in the middle of nowhere with absolutely nothing, life is going to be pretty hard no matter what the environment. But yes, rainforest would be hardest for me as I have no experience with the fauna and flora at all.

I saw a film showing the complete wreck that Everest has become; there's a shelf beneath the summit that's knee-deep in discarded oxygen bottles and five or six bodies. I kind of think if people really want to challenge themselves do a multi-sport marathon like the Eco Challenge where you carry out everything that you take in, including your own poop.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Eera

Have you gone so far as to make a little survival tin with flint and steel, fish hooks etc in it? I had one in one of those old-fashioned tobacco tins (everyone else thought it was full of dope), which I carried with me religiously at all times. Until I realised that the chaces of needing to use it while shopping for shoes in Southampton was kind of remote. It comes with me on hiking trips though.

Okay, that's funny. You obviously haven't been to our malls right before christmas. I do think you need full survival gear then! wink

The general concept has been that you are stranded with nothing or next to nothing. Like lost from a hike, stranded from an avalanche, etc.
I agree plane crash type stuff is very different.

They don't even take thier bottles with them? Oh HELL no!
I think Eco-challenge is pretty cool.

However, when speaking in survivalist terms, I'm not taking my poo with me. wink

Pele

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:

While I was folding laundry the other night that show Everest came on and showed all these "team camps" (really, lets face it, what it is now is a glorified tour rather than a team or a real endeavor).

Exactly.
The worlds highest mountain should be treated with respect, and is indeed sacred to the locals. It shouldn't be the disneyland or the dumping ground that it's become.
It is exactly a 'tour', where if you have enough money and no mountaineering skills, you can clip into a shortrope and have a sherpa haul your ass to the summit.

Written by: Eera

ubblol That's hilarious!
But saying that, you should see what I carry in our car!

As for the hardest place to survive?
Wow that's a tough one. I think I'd also have to go with rainforest, as it's an area I have absolutely no experience of. I've spent time in most other environments, including snowy mountains and a couple of deserts, but I've never been in a rainforest and, like Eera, have no clue to the flora and fauna.
Also... and this might sound kind of silly if you're just trying to survive, but... rainforest... big spiders... biggest nightmare! eek

422 posts

Posted:

I didn't see anything about that on Everest Kathain! Oh my!

Written by: Wikipedia

The circumstances of his death aroused widespread controversy and debate when New Zealand double-amputee climber Mark Inglis revealed in an interview on May 23 that Sharp had died, and that he had been passed by 40 other climbers heading for the summit who made no attempt at a rescue. Sharp died under a rock overhang alongside the main climbing trail, approximately 450m (elevation) below the summit and 100m (elevation) above Camp 3.

The Inglis party did give Sharp bottled oxygen, but most other climbers passed Sharp without offering any assistance

For instant relief: see the internet! Actually- for everyone who doesn't know the sad tangent we were skimming on. Now, on the one hand, I find it saddening that people passed him by. On the other hand, I can't say that in that sort of life and death situation, with as many factors against your own survival that I would or could do anything of any real use for him other than pray.

Getting closer to on topic, on the water survival thing: I also liked it that the army manual didn't even attempt any sorts of recommendations on what to do in the event of a venemous aquatic encounter (like jellyfish, cone snail, rabbitfish, lionfish, scorpionfish, blue ring octopus, etc.) It was as if the army was saying to either get eaten by sharks or to find a particularly pretty animal and piss it off.

Back ON topic, admittedly, on the Bear Grylls thing, I am impressed that he points out endangered and threatened animals, and also notes that they should not be hunted unless other food cannot be found! biggrin

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mand

As for the hardest place to survive?
Wow that's a tough one. I think I'd also have to go with rainforest, as it's an area I have absolutely no experience of. I've spent time in most other environments, including snowy mountains and a couple of deserts, but I've never been in a rainforest and, like Eera, have no clue to the flora and fauna.
Also... and this might sound kind of silly if you're just trying to survive, but... rainforest... big spiders... biggest nightmare! eek

Oh, yeah, and home to millions upon millions of bugs!

.... I have this weird paranoid fear of getting bugs in my hair. *shh* don't tell anyone. I'm not afraid of bugs. Just afraid of gettign bugs in my hair.

So, yeah... the rainforest is a no go.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
When thinking of the list of places to be stranded....

Desert ravines, snow and ice, ocean...does anyone else find it interesting that the Rain Forrest is the one that gets us? It's impressive.

Spiders and bugs huh? Well, you can always eat them! wink

Pele

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
or they can eat you... :P

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Drudwyn

or they can eat you... :P

No kidding. The mic on the camera picked up the sound of the mosquitos on the show. They were so loud they sounded like they were going to carry Bear away.

It could be concidered giving back to the environment I s'pose. wink

Pele

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Mascot

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mascot, may I ask how you got there? Just curious. That would completely suck.

So for, in these extreme cases, to "survive" we need heat, food, and I believe 3 pints of water per day...taking into account that we also should be uninjured. Is that right?
Seems like it would be so easy, doesn't it?

Pele

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Very much my experience is "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing." I was so confident I had found a big stand of flat-leaf parsely, until I got suspicious of the flower, and found it was hemlock-water dropwart (one of Europe's most toxic plants) that I was about to sprinkle on my salad.

I used to be on a board where the members were very much into the whole "modern life sucks, we should live like we did 10,000 years ago". I would challenge any of them to try it. There's a reason why it's called "survival" and not "fun living outdoors-type thingy"

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, I've just been off the boards for awhile and was browsing and found this. Thought I'd pitch in.

I agree, Man Vs Wild is an awesome show, although I prefer survivorman for a couple reasons. Mainly because he does all the filming himself, he doesn't have a crew following him around with extra gear, its him, with the clothes on his back and 60 pounds of camera equipment he has to deal with along with trying to survive. He also goes into more detail on how to do various things like setting traps, building shelters, and starting fires.

That said, I've done Search & Rescue work for about 8 years, so I've seen the stupid mistakes people make, the biggest killer is just simple exposure, and the lack of will. If you ever think you're going to die, or if you give up, it's game over.

As for what you need.. you can survive on a lot less than you think for about a week or so.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

razzaSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
man vrs wild is a awesome show it give u things to remember when/if ur ever lost and since he visist so many different countries it good ive been taking mental notes cause i know when i get lost ill be tryign to remember wat he did in that situtation

Horsepower is how fast u hit a tree. Tourqe is how far the tree goes with u

Page: