Forums > Social Chat > Too cold to poi.. what to do?????

Login/Join to Participate

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone! I got into poi last October, and as soon as I had just got into doing very basic moves, the cold set in and no poi for me!!!

I cannot poi indoors as my flat is too small and I will break something, but I am itching to get back on it! I did try with gloves on and a coat but I was too restricted in my movement and it was just annoying. I was just wondering how people cope in the winter months? I don't know any other poiers, there was a meet near me and I went once, but as it was on a beach it has now been postponed until spring.........

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Well last week I moved all the furniture in my bedroom (aaaallll of it) into one little corner of my room so I could play. I didn't think I had space either but...... then the about 2 days later I lost my poi (AGAIN ) That's like the 3rd time in the last 3 months.

You could try play with really short chains maybe, tis a good question though...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Just have a hot bath run by someone at an agreed time - then you can shiver your way back into the house after poiing in the cold and leap into it! Thats what I'm being forced to do, you'll find you warm up after a few minutes anyway...It's those first few minutes that are the killers

Don't worry, be happy...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
this is just what i did...

1. spin outside but for lots of short periods (20mins out, 10mins in). works well if you use your 10 to roll and your 20-30 outside spinning and smoking). also note that bodywarmers are a nice alternative to coats
2. learn all the stuff you can do in a small space (btn variants and so on)
3. learn to juggle (you can do this indoors and now thanks to winter, i have three ball juggling to play with too - when summer comes round i can start learning clubs too)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
buy thermal underware - sad I know... but I've got some long johns and long sleeve vests.. then all you need is a couple of t-shirts and a thin jumper over the top- cuts out the windchill which I find is the worst! Still gives you movement.. and keeps you toasty.. I tend to find I end up striping a few layers off as I get quite hot.. cept my fingers.. I always have problems with my fingers..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Personally I just break stuff and scuff up my wall.

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
Is it just Waaay too obvious to do it with fire?? cos then u only get cold when ur re fueling...

Although i guess that would preclude the learning of new moves so i'll be quiet now

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
well while i was in edinburgh last week, mineiro took me to the fire point on the meadows where people meet for a spin and a burn every monday night, we got there around 11.30pm and there were around 25-30 people. there was 2 inch of snow on the ground and it was bloody freezing. i had 3 tops and a jacket on and didnt really effect the way i spin. the only cold i felt was when i stood around with my camera.
i go out for a spin and a practice in all weathers providing it isnt gale force winds.
being on your own is a different matter i find i get more bored than any thing, i much prefere to have atleast one other person to spin with.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I really think some of you HOP peeps deserve medals.

Tambo, like you, I got into poi just before a bog winter chill.

Don't really have room to practice in my room without breaking furniture and too lazy to venture out into my muddy garden.

Is there a community centre / school hall that would let you use a room in exchange for starting a poi club in your area? Might be a good way to meet new people and practice at the same time?

I usually play with fire in cold weather, but as havoc says, means that practising new moves is not a good idea.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

tralalamember
20 posts

Posted:
I've been wearing two pairs of tights and leggings under my cords. And just loads of layers on top. If I get cold I wiggle around more Seems to be working for me.

Reporter to Ghandi: What do you think of western civilisation? Ghandi: I think it would be a very good idea.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
My mum always says layers! When I lived at - we never turned the heating up.. put another jumper on was the cry..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If you're feeling the cold then you're really not spinning enough.

Like Mr PK i tend not to be put off by the weather conditions. As long as I have my walkman, hat and my sticks I'm gonna be pretty oblivious to the outside world...

Meh

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
i concure with c@ntus. the spinning keeps me warm as it is, and i often end up stripping off. and i dont even use fire poi, only tailed poi.

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Second to last time I spun it was -20 degrees Celcius (-4 degrees Fahrenheit), with snow and ice on the ground and I had on 1 pair of pants, 1 t-shirt, 1 long sleeved cotton shirt and a hat.

*edit* That temperature isn't counting wind chill factor which was probably -30 degrees Celcius (-22 degrees Fahrenheit).

[ 12. February 2003, 10:31: Message edited by: NickC ]

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I just wear enough clothes that will allow me to spin and still be semi warm.

Though I am also a construction worker and am out in this sh1t all day anyway.So I do have a degree of tolerance for it.

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Spin really really really really really fast - you'll warm up soon enough.

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

caniffisSILVER Member
60 posts

Posted:
Am a brit who learnt poi and staff down under in sydney over the winter there. very funny to see the aussies looked shocked when doing poi at 2 in the morning with no t-shirt on! it was like 14 degrees still and lots of practise happening, with fire!
back here in the UK though not the cold thatr gets me, still do it with maybe a t-shirt if really bad, its the bleaming rain thats the most anoying followed clossly by the wind. as long as i can find a dry shealtered spot i be fine.
As for fire whilst learning, its the best way to get good fast!!!!

What you don't know won't hurt you? well i intend to get to know as much as possible so that i can make sure no one else has to so they carn't get hurt.

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
Hey Pk.

that's right if you're too cold to poi outside then you are just

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBBBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSHHHH!

it's a rubbish way to behave, get out there mate and burn some.

soup!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
RRRRUBBBISSSSHHHHHH have you got those spooores up north still, i tell ya Iandd your needs more pollution, my lungs arnt the same now too much fresh air

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
nobody mentioned practicing without poi I have no space here either inside and i sympathise but this really will help you learn movements more intuativley cos you have to think about it rather than feeling the pull.

Double staff on the other hand is quite tricky without staffs and if you do contact, well kinda impossible i reckon

I usually get my best practice when boiling the kettle cos there is a space to really swing your arms about there, frantic shadow poi for 2 or 3 intense kettle boiling mins.

[ 12. February 2003, 16:07: Message edited by: TEMPEST ]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
eat your readybrek god damnit!!

could allways stand there with your hands down the front of your pants.... after all it is the warmest place on those cold days, and really do you care if some one notices? i dont fuck em at least i have warm hands.