Forums > Social Discussion > School Reports ... A Parents rant

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Ok so its that time of year again and being a mum thought i would share with you the joys of my kids report and some of the GRRRR's i have about them.
My oldest son aged 12 did fantastic 5 A's 6B's and a C with the comments that most parents get.. needs to improve concentration in class and should work harder with Home work.
That in itself is fine and pretty much what i expected as his concentrationhas always been poor unless its something he is really really intrested in and that stand for most people, not only children but adults that i know aswell.

so why don't they try and make classes a bit more interesting so the kids do not get distracted. This argumnet has been going on since i was a child so is pretty much old hat.

Its my youngests report that i have a real problem with. He is 5 years old and yes i got the same lacks concentration in class

i am going to quote the rest of general teachers comments.

".. is a very friendly boy with a loverly smile and happy personality. He has had alot of support with his studies and has made some progress. However, he does have a rather nonchalant attitude towards his work and it is often with tremendous 'encouragment' that he completes it. He does have the ability but he does not yet appreciate the importance of working hard and he is,i'm affriad to say, rather reluctant. On a more positive note, he is well-behaved and has exemplary manners and this is something to be very proud of. He joins in guided reading sessions with encouragement and has made attempts to learn his spellings and complete homework tasks. I have his sunny personality a real joy and i have loved having him in my class. He just needs to take some responsablilty for his own learning and show us what he is capable of. I hope he works harder next year and begins to complete more work and demonstrate and more dedication to his studies"

the first thing that came out of my mouth was "HE IS 5"
i am so proud of him and to be honest i don't want to see a 5 year old who takes their education seriousley. He's not disrupitve in anyway but just wants to have fun like most kids do.

I have ranted so many times about the amount of pressure they are putting on children, and the fact that it seems that all forms of teaching to help the children have been swapped for teaching children to get them to the national targets. Suicide rates amongst children are growing at a shocking rate.. and when i say children i am refering to school, college and uni students.

I don't know maybe its just me thinking that we should let kids be kids and let them enjoy themselves. there can be a happy medium of fun and learning. I know teachers have a hrad time and work hard but i thought they wanted to become teachers to help the children.I love my boys and don't put pressure on the at home regards school work. My oldest knows if he doesn't do his homework he gets punished at school as i refuse to get into arguments at home about it. And with myyoungest i do not make him do his home work. I ask him when he gets home after school if he wants to, some times i get a yes but most of the time he's far too tired.

I know we have quite a few Parents on the site from all over he world and so i am searching for others experiances, the way their schools do things etc.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know, when I was in kindergarten, the first thing that I did when I got home from school was to GO OUT AND PLAY.

And this isn't the case anymore. I had about 15 minutes of homework in 2nd grade. I didn't like the idea then and I don't like it still. I think that homework should be reserved for 3rd grade and higher and that NEVER, not in middle school or in high school, should homework exceed 1.5 hours a day and 1.5 hours over the weekend.

Excess homework to me indicates a teacher who isn't doing his/her job.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I didn't have homework in elementary school! Some of it was because I could do the work faster, some people did have to take stuff home that we had been given like an hour to do in school or whatever, but primary isn't the place for homework, and I don't know anyone who thinks it is!

And man, I wish we only had like 1.5 hours of homework a night... in high school I could go to school, sports, and drama, come home between 8pm and 2am, and easily have 4-6 hours of homework waiting once you considered all subjects... yes, per night. Assigned that day and due the next. I didn't always do it, and I did ok, but it was not a popular thing with anyone that I didn't! (And brought my grades down, of course).

We need to get back to teaching things without just forcing endless repitition on people, which will only even sort of help if they already know how to do it??! umm *sighs at education systems*

It is not after all practice that makes perfect, but perfect practice that makes perfect....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

The meer thought of homework in primary school disgusts me.

When i read your quote there froggy, the same words came out of my mouth. A five-year-old does Not need to "take some responsablilty for his own learning" a five-year-old can not and should not be expected to be responsible for anything, what a ridiculouse thing to say!

As for high school, yes, some homework will be required to get ahead of others, but that should be a personal choice, not a requirement.

The work required to pass should be completed in class, perhaps if a student is slower than others he or she might need to complete that work at home, but i don't think extra work should be set specifically for completion at home.

If a student choses to do extra study at home because he or she wants a higher grade in order to get into uni, that should be their own choice, not everyone wants or needs to go to uni, and i think there is an overwhelming and unnessicary pressure on kids to "do well and go to uni".

to me, this seems to have created a false feeling of failure in kids who don't Want to go to uni, and a false perception of kids who have "dropped out" and taken apprenticeships as being failures. why is a tradesperson any less of a success than a uni graduate? they both do 4 years of hard study and come out with a recognisable qualification and a piece of paper, only apprentices who start at 16 instead of 19 start earning lots of money much sooner.

ok.. [/rant] in summary, yes, there is far too much presure on kids and it hardly surprises me that the sucide rate is ever climbing. Somebody needs to do Something about it.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FoxInDocs

As for high school, yes, some homework will be required to get ahead of others, but that should be a personal choice, not a requirement.

The work required to pass should be completed in class, perhaps if a student is slower than others he or she might need to complete that work at home, but i don't think extra work should be set specifically for completion at home.

well - i do disagree with that in part - i think a bit of pressure is healthy. also if homework was entirely optional - even nerds like me would have never bothered with it. although unpleasant at time - all those assignments and problems probably did have some good effects - definitely helped my work ethic and concentration. and i really dont think the standard 6 hour a day a sufficient for a kids to learn what they need to at school. hey - maybe im just biased though.

that being said - definitely no homework before year 3-4. then maybe some light reading of something. i think my only homeowork in yr 3 was 20 minutes of reading every night.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dentrassi

i think a bit of pressure is healthy.

a bit maybe, but the ammount that there currently is, is not healthy.

By the end of year 12 i was only taking three subjects, but the pressure on me to do well in those subjects brought me to the brink of being suicidal.

And for what? I didn't want to go to uni, and even if i had, knowing that the pressure there would have been even greater would have completely put me off anyway.

I had a friend in highschool also, i don't know if he *wanted* to go to uni, but he was taking "the suicide five" (english studies, physics, chem, and math studies 1 and 2) Plus doing IT studies and a vet course in CISCO off-line so that he could get into computer science in uni, because if he didn't get into uni his parents would kick him out of home! what is with that!?

and you know what he's doing now? working in the deli section of a local super market.

I have alot of drive, if i want to be somewhere i'll damned well get there, and i'm sure there's alot of people out there like me. But uni's are full of kids who were pushed and pushed by their parents and teachers, they may or may not want to be there, but whatever the case, it pushes up the competition for the people who can and will get there under their own steam, and that's where the ever increasing pressure comes from, the pressure that is causing people to think that five-year-olds need to "take responsibility" for their own education.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i dont think theres anything wrong with kids having to do homework if its presented in the right fashion, ie with instant feedback and help when you get stuck, kids sure dont have any problem learning how to play computer games thats for sure, why? because they give u instant feedback so the more effort you put in the better results you get

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I gotta tell ya. I went to Stanford University. Yes, Stanford University. One of the greatest institutions of higher education in the world.

And I did a lot less homework there than I ever did in high school. And contrary to the claims of my elementary, middle, and high school teachers, my professors DID remind us to turn in our problem sets.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
People are always blaming the rising suicide levels on pressure. I think it's much more complicated than that.

Otherwise I do agree with you. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy biggrin.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
The problem isn't with the teachers and the schools, its with the government.

The standards which they expect and the rediculous workload that gets placed on the teachers prevents them from being able to make the lessons "fun and interesting" simply because they don't have the time to do so, everything is geared towards tests and achieving certain levels at each stage of schooling.

You'll find that most of the actual "teaching" is done by the teacher's assistants, while the qualified teachers have become glorified administrators!

Its a rediculous state of affairs, thats leading to many extremely good teachers leaving the profession because they are no longer afforded the time to do the job they trained for and enjoy!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Froggy you should think yourself lucky that you're getting such detailed reports!

At secondry school the quality of my written reports were appauling.
By year 10 and and 11 They had come up with a three point system for the kids on the computer. Either a report saying 'Very good', 'Average' or 'Poor. All teacher had to do was click on our name, and click on one of the three point, and hey presto pre-written report.

And it was of course natural to find my name spelt 'Amee' 'Amiee' 'Amy' at random intervals.

Even came across one physics report which had 'Ammmei Watford' (Whatford!) across the top.
Then continues to say 'Emma is doing well extremely well this year'.
I failed one of my physics modules three times before my teacher said 'stop trying' shrug And I'm doing well?!

I really not sure about the pressure though shrug The only thing I found hard in primary school was maths...

Secondry school was a bit different, everything was hard, besides art. But I still chugged through it, doing a little less than average grade work, and at the end of 5 years I come out with 13 GCSE's being grade C and above.
(Would have got 14 if I hadn't doodled cartoons in my physics paper where the answers should have been ubblol)

Although stuff was hard I wouldn't say I felt pressured by it. I've got the type of personality that kept me chilled in school...acknowledging but not worrying about the fact that deadline for chem coursework is next week and I havn't even started yet..

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
I think a lot of it is dependant on the individual school.

I didnt have homework very often at Junior school, once a week at the most, and i think this was perfectly correct.

At that age you shouldn't have that sort of pressure on you at all, and playtime is worth as much, and helps you learn as much as school time.

However when it came to senior school we did start getting homework more frequently. And the further up the school we got the more homework we had. In all fairness though the most we would ever have was approx an hour or so a night, and this really didnt seem like a lot.

However i know other schools are a lot different. My friends son is 13 and probably only gets an hours homework a week-if that, where as when he was at Junior school he got a small amount of homework every single night and now has less to do than when he was younger!!?? confused

I do think some pressure is healthy, but too much can be a bad thing. I also believe that kids should have some homework, as it does encourage them to do things for themselves although perhaps not at such a young age.

Completely bizarre. Froggy it is disgusting that they expect a child to take control of his/hers own learning from such a young age, and i think you are very right to be upset.

From what the teachers written it sounds like you have a lovely son, and a lot to be proud of.
smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Some schools forget that at this age, a lot of learning still happens through play, not only academic study.

Sometimes when a child can't or wont concentrate in class, he/she is bored and feels underchallenged. I remember from somewhere that one child had this problem and it was because they were far brighter then the rest of the kids in their class and were not challenged enough.

Another reason may be he needs more brainfood, slow release carbs to keep him going, like weetabix or shredded wheat, or shreddies. all are palatable for kids if you add a hand full of raisins and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.

Another story I read was that the child had dyslexia, and couldn't read without great difficulty.

But after all, your son is just five, I wouldn't worry about it. hug

My eldest is turning six in September and though she doesn't lack concentration and she reads two years above her age, she is very emotionally immature, which is a pain when I tell her "No sweets" in Tesco and she screams like a three year old. I just laugh at her but it really gets to me. Grrrrr!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'm probably gonna get told off for this one...

I don't see anything at all wrong with homework from grade 1. Nothing whatsoever. The sooner you learn how to do something on your own (or how to ask someone for help if you can't manage) the better.

Having said that, I don't think there should be too much pressure, but unfortunately we're all humans and some pressure is just necessary for most of us to do our work. But if homework is given in a playful way, like fun quizzes or stuff with pictures, I don't see a problem there.

I'm personally more puzzled at how long small kids have to be in school, when I was 6-7 it was 3.5 hours a day, and one afternoon of 2 lessons a week. Which left all the time in the world for playing and homework.

Most of all though, the teacher seems to give the overall expression that he's getting along well, and the only thing to work on is one that, as you say, Froggy, will come with age. Some people can't help criticising, but read between the lines and she basically says he's doing fine.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Me, i reckon the entire method of teaching is bollox. You go in, sit around for 6 hours, get bored, stuff around, get information pumped down your throat, crap it out five minutes later, then go home. Everything's set up to march at the pace of the slowest, and half the teachers don't care anyway, they just want everyone to pass because it looks good on their (the teachers) reports.

Then you get to uni, and it's all about self researching. Workforces are all about self development. Kids are coming out not knowing how to learn for themselves.

The way i reckon it should be done is the from a point where a child is able to take responsibility for their learning, or is pushing ahead of the class, or is getting bored with sitting aound taking 6 hours to learn something that would normally take them 3, let them go at their own pace. Finish out the year, if you're half way through or more, then change to a self driven program.

At the start of the year, you get all your textbooks, a library card, and as much access to school resources as you reasonably want. You get a list of tests, assignments, exams and all that sorta stuff that needs to be in by the end of the year, and you go for it. Set a list of recommended topic orders, and guidelines for when tests should be taken, then let them go.

There you go. Flexibility to get into the workforce a bit earlier, rather than having dozens, if not hundreds, of kids going for the same after school work.

Those with the drive to succeed will. They'll use whatever resources they need to utilise to achieve the goals set, whether that be the internet, or whatever.

If help on a topic is needed, then one-to-one help is available. Have workshops on particularly tricky subjects available, but not compulsory. But, someone that's got an excellent grasp of, say, calculus is going to shoot through it, and leave them a bit of time to work on inequations.

Those that are having serious trouble will have more resources available to them, because the kids that get the topic and have finished the weeks' worth of work in the first half a day won't be stuffing around and distracting the teacher.

Those that don't want to succeed... wont. If they don't want to learn, then why waste time, effort, energy and other kids' time trying? They may have their own methods that they find easier. Teaching pythagoras on a white board may make perfect sense to some, but to others, its gobbledegook. Apply it to, say, a mechanical problem, and it becomes clear.

And those that really can't be bothered even trying, will fail. As they currently do in the real world. But, with choice available to be able to find something they do like doing, rather than being stuck in a box all day, before there's pressure of uni, age, etc., might have a chance of finding a job they'll be good at, and stick with.

Now, i'm not saying this is the best solution. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't work. It probably wouldn't suit some kids, and it would suit others to the ground. But it's my two hundredths of a dollars' worth.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I think its just silly to make school reports to children in primery school. Up too about 9 or 10 most children live in theire own little worlds, and lets face it primery school is a day care center for older children, your hardly intulectually stimulated at that age with anything they teach you. I agree too you dont need to give children homework in primery school, I never got much and when I did I never did it, it never affected me once secondary school came around I did homework instantly and it was never a case of me not being used too it.

I dont think there is enough 'preasure' put onto children in secondary school in england (I wouldnt know about any other country), but it was my experiance that your not taught nearly enough, and GCSE's are far too easy. They dont mean anything anymore, unless you go onto university its allmost as if anything you do before that isnt acknoladged as anything substantial.

Oh and dont get me started on teachers saying you need to do homework. If they did theire jobs properlly then they should be able to teach you enough in an hour, 4 days a week or whatever lessons follow (I cant remember my old timetable lol its been to long) for a year. your forced to go through school, and the reason people hate it is because you dont get anything from it because its been dummed down so much you dont get any sense of satisfaction from it. I was so mind numbingly bored I hated every day of it, and thats the reason everyone else in my classes didnt like it, none of us werent incapable of being toaught more complex things, even more interesting things.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Doc... my son at aged 5 has the following home work EVERY night. 1 spellings... of about 9 words
2 half an hour of reading
3 leanirng his letters and sounds. they teach the children phaneticaly which is yet another rant of mine as it does not help when it comes to trying to spell words. My youngest pointed out the word Onion for example.
4 His numbers

when you considder we get in home for about 4pm, he has to get changed and have dinner, supper and is in bed for 7:30pm it doesn't leave alot of time.
With my oldest they say 2 hours of home work a night. if the child knows how to do the home work and has all the resorces there then no problem. But if they get stuck or need to do more research it can take so much longer. He has even been told off for not being able to print out his home work at home, due to no printer at the time. He did his best and took the home work on disk but it was not accepted.

FoxInDocs i think here in the UK they realsied part of what you were saying and now give the children options to go into worked based training and still gainqualifications. the courses can range from hair dressing, enginering to phychology and law.

If the kids are told what i tell my oldest i think it could help more. I have always told him that if he wants to do well at school to get to the career he wants then he needs to put in the hard work needed. He is very accademic and through no pressure from me has always wanted to go onto college and then uni. He has learnt this through his own experiance as his exame results showed. The ones he didn't try in his scores did not reflect his ability, he has acknowledged this and has said he knows now where he needs to work harder. A parent can rant as much as they want to a child but 9 times out of 10 its just seen as another lecture adn will make them dig there heals in even more, iam a strong believer that a child does best if they really want to and not to get people off their back as they then loose all enjoyment from the learning experiance.
My youngest wants to be a palaeontologist and so apparently this is why he needs to play with dino's and watch anything and everything to do with them. Including watching 3 hour documentries on them.

ubblove i love my boys ubblove

Dentrassi did you know that:

Figures for 11-17s 1994-2004
Total suicides Wales: 40
Total suicides England: 111

Source: Office of National Statistics

now thats scary that works out as

Average suicide rate Wales:
5 per 500,000

Average suicide rate England:
1 per 500,000

Source: Office of National Statistics

PsyRush Oh i agree i am not putting all down to pressure, so many children unfortuently go through so much and i just feel that most of the time this is not taken into considderation. Things need to be looked at as a whole rather than on the single matters.

Bird first of all hug cause its been a while biggrin and i agree i know so many teachers who don't like the system. Staff rooms are great places.

Aimée my sons report was set out similar to that only now they have 5 point system ubblol and a quick comment from the tutor. i think the only reaosn why youngests report was that detailed is becuase they only have 1 teacher for all lessons. hug

maus hug my boys are great and very funny Eg of my youngest at school. he was happily playing and the teacher asked "do you want to come and do some work" to which he replyed "no thank you i am fine playing" and then just her a huge smile and carried on. the teacher really didn;t want to do after all she had asked and he was very nice in his answer. ubblol

TinklePants hug i think he just loves being on the go all the time, he is very hands on and just loves to get in there and get filthy. He does get plenty of brain food though and it is an over looked thing in many cases i think. their average breakfast is 3 weeabix with banana, raisins and a strawberry on top. smile

Birgit i agree, if the home work is set out in a fun way then they will be more than happy to make more of an effort i think. but expecting a 5 year old to do all that after being at school for 6 hours i think is a bit much

MiG move to the UK and go for priminister biggrin

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
For me personally I've never put much value in what I got 'taught' at School,, but what i actually 'Learnt' now thats a totally different kettle of fish. Problem is that to me lots of people don't (and never do) see the difference betwixt the two.

But thats me smile

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

maus my boys are great and very funny Eg of my youngest at school. he was happily playing and the teacher asked "do you want to come and do some work" to which he replyed "no thank you i am fine playing" and then just her a huge smile and carried on. the teacher really didn;t want to do after all she had asked and he was very nice in his answer.

Aww! Thats allmost the cutest thing ive ever heard. I used to be polite like that, now I swear like a trooper. lol dont let him slip

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
See proud mum moment biggrin

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
not until grades 11 and 12 (the ones before Uni) did i really get homework. all throught primary school and high school we would be given projects or assignments or essays which we were given three weeks to study and hand in, and occasionally some reading or maths, i cant remember having to do any, or maybe it was set and i just never bothered ubblol shrug

even when i did get to years 11 and 12 i *believe* pretertiary subjects (subjects to get you into uni) only had about 4 hours of set homework per week, and non pretertiary made a point of NOT setting much homework so you could focus on your pretertiary subjects.

.............or maybe i was given HEAPS of homework and just never paid attention ubblol

i'd like to say in general the education system failed me, my explanation for this is lack of motivation, on both my part and the systems part. Last year i did a pretertiary Maths Applied subject, this was a 150 hour full year course, and i can seriously say that of those 150 hours, i would have worked for *maybe* around 15, on top of that i had a private tutor(who was the one that was actually teaching me) and i spent 30 hours with him over the year(one hour a week) and i passed the subject, not doing more than 45 hours work in a course that was supposed to take 150 hours. i wouldnt consider myself smart, it was just that with the tutor engaging you in the work, you had no choice but to think about what you were doing, and i was able to do a weeks learning in class in one hour with a tutor.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Doing a little homework- especially things like projects- in primary seems fine to me, but not as a regular thing. Getting kids to realise they can learn stuff out of school too can only really be a good thing.

The pressure is just too bad in the education system here though- I don't mean there's too much to learn, but there's too many exams, so you have to spend so long revising and practicing exam technique that you don't have time to actually *learn*.

All the fun bits are getting squeezed out to meet targets and deadlines, my teachers were always complaining about it. For example, for A level, my brother (just a few years older than me) has a fieldtrip of 2 weeks in Betwys-Y-Coed, quite a bit of work, but a lot of time to mess round too.

By the time I did it, just 3 years later, all they had time for was a trip out to the lawn to count plants as a token gesture, because there was no way they could fit a real field trip into the timetable and still have time for revision.

I actually learn quite a bit in primary, largely because we had such a small school (only 28 pupils total, split into 2 classes) so the teachers really did know everyone, and could tailor the classes to fit.
We did lots of extra-curricular things just because one or more of the kids had an interest in it.

I think there's just too much government intervention right now. All kids really need to learn in primary is how to read, write and count to a basic level, the rest of the time should be to help them decide what they're truly interested in.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty much a lurker these days on HoP, but this thread greatly interests me, as I'm practically obsessed with my education. On your poll, I said that I don't know if this pressure is good or not. I'm split on my opinion.

On one hand, I think children in primary schools are, and should be, focused on their communication skills - that is through interaction with one another. This of course means they learn how to communicate mostly physically and verbally, which comes with our nature. Due to the amount of exploring communications skills at this age, it seems sensible to me that they would be learning reading and writing skills on top of this, as well as introducing the concept of numbers and math to them. I think that at this age, it is easiest for children to absorb this kind of information without really questioning it.

Repetition in needed, and I remember in elementarty school we would play games that would be first of all fun, but also have us drilling things into our heads (such as marching around the room reciting our times tables, trying not to mess up, and the such). In this sense, I don't think there would be much problem with a bit of homework for children at this age - however parental help would be much needed. Such as reading together, doing flashcards and similar activities.

However, in highschool (where I am right now), things are different. This is where I find myself most torn in opinion. On one hand, I don't want to be very stressed out, I want to enjoy my time, as so many people tell me that it dissappears too quickly. I don't want to be constantly worried about marks and tests and assignments, because at the rate it's at right now, the stress is becoming unhealthy. This amount of stress does one of two things to kids my age: stresses them out beyond all means (like me), or pushes them the other way, into not caring at all, and in ultimate situations, dropping out and giving up completely. In this sense, I see the amoutn of stress and homework in a negative light.

However, on the other hand, I can only see it as preparing us for what is possibly going to become a lifetime reality. For those of us who do continue our education into higher professions (that being the typical doctor/lawyer type situation), the stress we experience in highschool is probably going to seem like nothing compared to what we'll have to live with later on. This might be true, but it might not. I'm probably just being paranoid, but seeing the way my parents work, I know it to be a very possible future for many kids my age. In this light, I see the stress put on us as just building up our stanima, if you will.

In other terms, when one is a child, working on something for 30 minutes straight might be difficult, but as you grow and learn you build your stanima and concentration, and you might end up writing 4 to 6 hour long exams.

Homework, I feel, is necessary in certain areas, although I wish it wasn't. The reason I say this, is because I know that even with giving us so much homework (hours each night) teachers are still having trouble fitting in all the curriculum they need to teach in the time they are given. We are on a semestered system which is said to make this even more difficult. I think we're struggling at the pace in which we have to learn everything to succeed in a given course. A prime example would be in my Math 12 advanced class, if there was a certain concept we didn't grasp quite well, we would complain to the teacher, who would then complain back that there wasn't enough time to go over it again, in effort to cover everything in time so that we'd see everything that would be on the provincial exam at the end of the term.

My suggestion? Reinstate grade 13, give us more time! I'm doing the same workload my father did when he was in highschool, but he had one extra year to do so.

So wow, after that long rant... I lean a bit more to the homework side, but I'm a bit of a workaholic and a thrive on that kind of stress. But I know it's not the same for everyone, so I can't really take a side.

And congrats to those who made it through my book ubblol

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
OrangeBobo i'm a huge geek and proud. I love to study pretty much always have.
its nice getitng the view from someone who is still in the school system.

my youngest son has not really showed an interest in the accademic side of things, not that i am saying he doesn't learn anything he's just very hands on. He learning is not helped by the fact he was deaf until he was around 4 months and had hearing problems for a further 5 months. When he started school he was already 9 months behind and being one of the youngest in his year also didn't help. It just gets my goat when they put pressure on children that are not ready. I am all for a more child lead learning... but unfortuently the teachers just don't have the time due to the govermental pressures put on them.

*disclaimer* if what i wrote made no sense i am sorry. i have been up for the past 2 night solid with poorly children and am rather tired* hug

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
homework is unpaid over time.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
or at least would be if they got paid to go to school in the first place ubblol

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
My daughter is in high school now. The amount of assignments and homework has been ridiculous for years. It has so often gotten in the way of her enjoying time with family, sports, music, other sorts of activities... and in the meantime she (and her mates) tell me how very much of the time they spend at school is basically wasted. If I had a job that made me waste time during the day and then expected me to take hours of work home every night, I would quit.

Some other points:

'taking responsibility for their own learning' is what kids will naturally do. A lot of homework is teaching kids to take responsibility for someone else's agenda... and lots of homework involves the parents...not in a good way... defining our small time together to the school's agenda. I have resented this as much as she has. I am quite capable of interacting with my kids without school telling me what to talk about!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
ok i didnt vote as i am undecided
my eldest son is at that school and he has adhd and the teachers have been great. the homework is set to get the parents involved with there teaching and the reason the alphabet is taught that was is because it is easier for a child to learn to read if they learn the sounds of the letters and trying to teach the letters and there sounds at the same time is way too much for a child of 5 to take in.

if you think about when you learnt to read it was same way, as for many years it was taught by the letter soundings they changed it about 15 10 year ago and then recently changed it back as children were finding it more dificult to learn to read

the soundings help the child put the words together and yes some words are complicated but most are not.

i think home work is good, my youngest aged 3 was bringing homework back from nursery which was learning things like the difference between flats, houses, bungalows and house boats as places to live all done in a colouring picture so when you got them to learn the correct ones they was then allowed to colour them in. also i have printed off number cards and he can count to 20 so far and spell his name. he also knows all his colours which he learnt at nursery and with my help and i dont mean your bog standard red yellow green and blue primary colours but all his secondary colours also.

i like to read to my youngest son and ask him to tell me what is in pictures and what colours and how many of things there is and my eldest son loves to do the same with my youngest son.

that is very similar to the reading they bring home from school, they are encouraged to learn certain words ect

its all about the parents taking part in the learning of the child and thats the whole point of home work.
sitting down with the child and working with them means they are getting quality time with you whilst learning and you being able to see where there progress is at.

many people mis interpretate that homework is work and no fun and where the child has to do more for school.

its also good pratice from an early age to get into a habit so that by the time they get to secondry school final 2 years and have course work to do they are used to having stuff to learn at home.

course work counts as 70% of the final mark in gcse's as i can remember
i never had home work till secondry school 2nd year and that was a year before we started out gcse course work and my god it was a shock i got crap gcse results all on the fact i didnt do my course work

there is a lot of pro's and cons in it all but maybe as a parent you can find your own way to make it more enjoyable and get involved with both boys homework and make it like mummy time for them also

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:

newgabe hug lovely to see/hear/read you again hug
when you said "defining our small time together to the school's agenda. I have resented this as much as she has" i screamed out exactly. thats how i feel and always have done.

i hate the way they are taught to read and spell over here and wish they had kept it the way it was.It never helped me when i was learning to read and spell and speaking to my mother and she goes on to the same gripes about it too. Especialy if a child has speach problems or had not been brought up to pronounce their words properly, and even accents all pile up into the arguments against this way of teaching.
why they changed it back is beyond me.Well ok apart from the fact that there was a huge amount of teachers complaining that they had to change their whole entire way of teaching.
I do not think they gave it enough time and gave enough help in re training the teachers to change thier mind sets in the way they teach.
My oldest had been taught the non phanetical way and it actually helps alot more as it gives them more of a range of what the letter sound like and can sound like when different letters are grouped up together. Sure it takes longer to teach... so i guess that didn't help its cause and they switched back..

I have nothing against them learning things outside of school but for i feel it should be child lead. After all as demonstrated in this thread different ways work for different people.
There are more important things in this world than school, and being turned into yet another drone.
Their own asprirations will get them through to be where they want to be rather than where a bunch of suits say they should be.
My oldest was very accademic when he was younger and loved to do flash cards,read, play the games etc etc. My youngest just isn't interested and i refuse to push him into it. when the other mothers on the play ground do the whole competition crap of "Oh my son can do this.... he can also do his.... and this...." it drives me insain. Especialy if they have been forced into it from an early age. The world has gone mad,they are children not another status thing to see who is the best parent,and is one of the reasons why i never went to mother and baby groups. I went a few times and all it was was "oh he can sit up... really my son did that months ago"

I have no problem at all where my children are education wise infact i am more than proud, i just don't think the school system should put as much pressure on the kids to all be at the same level when every one is different and have different ways of learning.

We spend loads of time togther and they do learn lots of different things.They just don't realise it, but if they do not want to sit down and do hours of home work after being at school for 6 hours i am not going to make them. and i am certainly not going to change the way we spend time together..The school can go mad at me all they want, but like my oldest pointed out to the teacher once after an ITC lesson "home work is not a legal requirment to my education"

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
the whole my child can do this my child can do that is just a parent thing

a majority of parents do it because it is showing how proud they are of there child by bragging how clever they are

what the parent never says is "he drew all over his bedroom wall" its normally changed to "he can draw such beautiful things" twisting the truth a bit.

i do love to brag that my child can do things
god i never forced shay to learn his colours or buildings or numbers he loves being praisied and getting treated for learning stuff like being able to colour the new pictures as that is what he loves to do colour and yes it is all over his nice white tiled floors and walls in his bedroom and in my front room. but a lot of the time i leave that out also.

its a weird situation but its a way of getting your child socially accepted into the groups by getting to know the parents, in future you dont want them parents telling the children to not hang round with yours and therefore being social outcasts and yes it does happen it did when i was younger and it still does today. bullys from when i was at school tell there kids not to hang round with my eldest well did till i came down hard on the governers with my dad and got them moved from the class in the next year they was split up.

ever thought about becoming a governer at the school hug

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
The parents would need to of talked to me and allowed their children to play with mine in the first place. but thats off topic

Page: