Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
A wanted unwanted effect biggrin

A force is twisting the chain when the Poi is changing its plane or accelerating/stopping. Swivels are used in order to take off exactly this effect.

If you dont use swivels and stop and accelerate the Poi repeatedly, this way forcing the Poi to twist up, it is possible to accumulate the tension of the twist.

So far I did not really pay attention to this effect but now I have had the chance to play with a set which had relatively "thin" chains. With these it was possible to accumulate that much momentum that the chain is twisting up completely. A beautiful yoyo effect that can be used to shorten the Poi during your spin or let a stalled Poi magically get shorter and/or longer ubbloco

Feel the power biggrin

andy

PS: Its difficult to explain but a nice effect to show and share hug

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean.

I get that happening a bit sometimes. I like to incorporate it into throws, especially with cone poi, because it makes the whole poi spin as it's flying through the air.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
think that just happened to me while in london last weekend!

but niiiiiice effect, definitely!
anyway, still need more swivels mr. honey!

hug

tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Yeah i've noticed this too.

You know that double stall where you stall 1 poi up and 1 poi down, well if you repeat this a few times the poi start to twist along the axis of the chain. What i've found is that the more times you do it in a row the more stabble the poi stalls become. And yeah, you can get some crazy effects from the chain, or rope.

I never use swivels because you lose a certain sense of control IMO

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.