Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > a question about Flowers...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Cute Little Burning BallBRONZE Member
101 posts

Posted:
i was wondering if anyone could give me a tip for a good transition to go into flowers peace and out... since i only know a weave transition but looks kind of funny ubblol and unaesthetic. frown
thanx wink

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Going from a giant windmill is nice and natural as when the poi are in a horizontal line they're already in the position to go into a flower. And I guess giant weave smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
The key are Giants,

"Let me see what's beyond the world,"
"let me see what's beyond the world."

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Richee, somnetimes I wonder what planet you are on after some of your posts. hug2

They really confuse me...

smile

Giants? as in giant arms? confused

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Ok, Giants, Straight Jackets, Long Arms, Giant Arms and UCOF smile

POI THEO(R)IST

101 posts

Posted:
hmmm thank you.... i guess.
richee u mean gulliver can spin poi?

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
im only about 5'6"

smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Straight jackets are definately not where you wanna be for flowers unless youve got some sort of tentacles for arms.hehe.

As with any move, you can transition into flowers from anything pretty much... Except from straight jackets that is.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

101 posts

Posted:
that includes buzzsaws, butterflies, hyperloops, etc... too?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Sure. In fact, there are whole families of buzzsaw flowers, butterfly flowers, and hyperloop flowers (though, Im not really familiar with the hyperloop ones, I know for a fact you can go into flowers right after a hyperloop)

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

101 posts

Posted:
damn, still so much to be learn...
not tonight tho im going to sleep now.

thankx for the tips

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
A little while back, Blueboy posted a description of what he called ' blossoming flowers" These are done by starting your flowers from a hand wrap,,,so try a reverse butterfly handwrap ( fun to bend your legs as the poi wrap,, and finish the wrap as low to the ground as possible) stand up while turning 90 degrees to your left and spreading your arms wide like Jesus and start unwrapping the poi into a flower.

Or if you don't like that one,,go from the three beat weave in front of you, take one hand and pull it straight back, like you're drawing a bow, push the other hand out straight in front of you, and begin flowering. I know it's a weave transition, but I've never heard anyone say it looks funny,and it does flow quite nicely once you get the hang of it.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: ICoN

Straight jackets are definately not where you wanna be for flowers unless youve got some sort of tentacles for arms.hehe.

As with any move, you can transition into flowers from anything pretty much... Except from straight jackets that is.

tat is incorrect sir... you can transition quite nicely from a SJ into a flower... an sj is just a 'paused' inversion... sorryu for the video game term but I don't know what else to call it.. its not a lock out.. it moves.. its like you do an inversion halfway.. hold that position and do other things.. so as you exit the sj ie finish the inversion.. you roll right into flowers.. and depending on which sj you are in, you can exit into a flower, or into a turning flower.. the latter being a bit cooler looking.. but that's just me.. I like the piroutte into flower motion.. it kinda helps roll it out you know..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
rev, you seriously need to make a new video - with fire! biggrin

i can't imagine the amount of extra control i need before i can attempt that kind of thing.

sj's are still simply a wallplane inversion entry for me - i can't spin anything at all with my arms in that position apart from an inversion exit!

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

Let he who has made a recent video throw the first stone.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
????

pardon me for extending the tangent..

off topic 1- offset weaves... you know how you can take a 5bt weave and offset it with a 2bt weave.. so it does 5bt twists. 2bt back and forth (ie the 5bt twist locked while doing a 2bt weave) and then do the other bit of the 5bt weave, lock and 2bt again..

off topic 2- inversions.. specifically the 5bt inversion (cross side arm led inversion) with a fwd weave.. on the left side, as the right hand goes under the left arm, bring it up and over the left arm (like you would a reverse 3bt inversion.. ) also makes a lovely entrance to an sj..

off topic 3- you can take said entrance to an sj, and do like a carry to the far side, and finish the inversion on the far side.. thus doing half the inversion, carry to the other side, finish the inversion..

off topic 4- doing half the inversion and locking puts you in a position to either a) do reels or b) weave (namely 2 and 3bt weaves.. think longarm/giant).. now.. since you can 2bt weavethere.. you can do your 5t twist, go into the inversions.. stop half way and 2bt weave back and forth, and then exit on the far side.. the 2bt weave part.. will be an sj.. thus you use an sj to offset a weave..

off topic 5- since sj's are basically a longarm inversion.. just like tangles, are a string inversion.. it becomes a little clearer that the entrance, pattern itself, and exit, will all be an inversion.. so unless you are getting into the position w/o spinning poi and then start spinning, you will be inverting to get into it.. which to some degree is what you do to get out of it when you pull your arms apart.. so you can't sj without inverting..

so I'm a bit confused as to why inverting into and out of sj's is a shocking thing... also since you can take either the 3bt inversion or the 5bt inversions, and do flower left invert to the rightside, flower right, invert to the left side.. etc... just as easily as one could flower left side weave to the right flower right side weave to the left.. I don't see where inversions and flowers are shocking either..

sorry guys if I'm confusing you.. work them inversions.. and it will all be clear.. wink

thus spoke Rev

101 posts

Posted:
for confusing me more than i already am, i condemn you to do a video of all what u just explained in ur last post.

anyone in favor please vote

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
wil's new video on glowsticking.com has a straight jacket to antispin flower. It's possible, just difficult.

look for his 2005 glowstringing vid in media.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Written by: coleman

Let he who has made a recent video throw the first stone.

wink

if you read the poi moves forum regularly, you'd have seen it tongue

i learnt how to do an inversion into flowers last night but i'm damned if i can get straightjackets to look anything other than a fancy stall into a mess of poi rolleyes

will watch video tonight - cheers kael smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Yeah, you think "I" bothered doing those patterns yet? wink

I hate doing moves that make the neighbors call the police out of fear that I'm whacking myself retarded with poi.

ubbloco

someday, someday...

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

101 posts

Posted:
eh? i cant find any video confused
please link

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
https://www.glowsticking.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5725&st=0

You have to sign up first wink

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

101 posts

Posted:
yeah i did registered but still nothing there, i found it tho after ur link, thanx again biggrin
*can´t wait to watch the vid*

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I would like to correct kael...

wil DOES NOT go from a SJ into an antispun flower...

he does a crosser where the hands are on opposite sides... he;s hugging himself, he doesnt have it inverted into an sj...

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Personally I thought that any crosser which was on opposite sides with the arms crossed and making the poist move spastically and retardedly could be considered a "straight-jacket"? Hence the reason for the name of the move?

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure how it's possible to go directly into a flower from a SJ as your hands are tangled up once you're in the SJ and you need to either reverse the direction of both poi or turn to exit...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
kael- and sj has your arms folded not just crossed.. stick your right hand on your left bicep, hold that.. bring the left hand over the right forearm, and under the right bicep (armpit) that's an sj..

spiral- an sj is an inversion that is held at half point.. if you take the hand /on/ the bicep and point it up.. and the hand /under/ the bicep and point down, then you can see the inversion.. the sj is holding that position like holding the twist off a 5bt weave during an offset weave.. so when you exit the sj, you will finish rolling the inversion.. whihc rolls you right into the same flower your weave uses..

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

StraightJacket > Flower

Straight Jackets aka SJ's (Rev:) are dynamic moves too,
it meens you can start with SJ fountain just
turning the straight arm circle and shoulder arm circular
thingie around shoulder center. Its nice way to continue
with a flower.
if you see flowers like opossite spinnig figure, than
nothing can stop you do SJ in opossite direction.

light,

POI THEO(R)IST

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yes, I suppose you could go into flowers after coming out of a SJ but I was talking more along the lines of not being able to do flowers while IN SJs.

Oh and I just wanted to comment on Will's video...
I think Will is a damn genius. Perhaps the best glow stringer out there IMO. The video was perfect. He flawlessly incorporated glow string, free hand, and traditional poi moves into the routine. Some of his combinations are just ridiculous. And the part I probably like best is the lighting... Some might think its too dark but its just right IMO... Its got just enough light that you can still see his movements, but just dark enough that you cant really see exactly what hes doing. Good way to keep some moves to himself.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Butterfly buzzsaw flowers anyone? Need to antispin it censored

Agree about Will :0

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I can do the split time butterfly buzzsaw flowers... Normal and anti-spin... But the same time ones are the tricky ones... Over the head insides anyone?

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Page: