Forums > Social Discussion > Slipknot - Seeing the world for what it really is?

Login/Join to Participate

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Okay, alot of people disagree with Slipknot's lyrics calling them violent, morbid and depressing. But i'm thinking, maybethey just see the world for what it is. For what people as a big group are. Politicians, are ruining the world and we, as people are becoming more and more selfish.
Same with Manson, Korn and Slayer.
i would liek to hear about this from your point of view...

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I think their is infact a degree of truth in their lyrics (Im not particulary fond of any of their lyrics though)

But also, their is a degree of truth in most lyrics, includeing those optimistic and lovely lyrics of various old school hippy music and reggae, and lots of other stuff.

I think if you take all the lyrics of various people who write from POV, superimpose them over one another, the end product is something more truthful then the sum of it's parts.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
which particular songs and lyrics?

i agree with astar that there are lots of songwriters whose lyrics give a unique viewpoint of the state of the world.

look at marvin gaye's 'what's goin on' if you think slipknot are the first to notice something's up...

a perfect circle just released a covers album.
it has a distinct apocalyptic feel to it with dark versions of songs like 'imagine' and 'when the levee breaks'.

the album art is propaganda ridden and very pessimistic towards the state of world politics.

for me though rage against the machine will always stand out as the one band that managed to be socio-politically concious whilst still kicking ass.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
johny cash kicked the ass out of RATMS ass.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
then he died.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Metal represents one aspect of the human psyche. And it does so really well.

Unfortunatley it's a really negative side of it, usually.

I think they do represent truth (especially their first and third albums) as does Manson, early Korn and maybe Slayer (doen't do anything for me but loads of people like it).

However, all of these acts are at the end of their effective lifespan, in my mind. A bit like people like Linkin Park - people thought they meant it, then they just kept on saying the same thing, people got bored and the band turned into essentially pop music.

I find it very hard to hear about how bad life is from a multi-millionaire.

Listen to NIN - Reznor is an artist biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Mistress_MaledictiHeaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over
192 posts

Posted:
They might be seeing things a different way, but there have been people doing that and writing songs about it for many years...long before those little Slipknot kiddies were born!

sin

"Abashed, the Devil stood and saw how awful Goodness is"

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Where Linkin Park ever not pop music? Did they ever really mean it?
I don't know, I never met them, but I have my suspicions.

I don't think slipknot, slayer etc are at the end of their lifespans. They are not liked essentially for their lyrics, they are bands who play really good, really fast music (plus the odd silly ballad about their dad.) They where never bands who brought a new intellectual viewpoint on the human condition, they re-hashed old cliches and there will be many bands after them to do the same.

But they rock. And thats good.

P.S. If millionaires can't talk about how bad life is, does money bring you happiness?

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I don't think money brings you happiness, but I don't think people so far removed from the reality of everyday life have much to comment about it. And I think that lyrics are important and should be meaningful.

But that's just my personal opinion. I know people like to just jump around and have a fight and stuff... it's just not for me smile

And no, Linkin Park didn't ever mean it. But I remember the immense furore surrounding "One Step Closer" before it was properly released. Everyone loved it. Then they heard other songs. wink tongue

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
see slipknot is stupid because of the whole mask thing, and the fact that they tend to play really fast for no reason other then playing fast.

but I hate the stupid masks, it's like super pretentious masks. they only peaked this annoying level of pretention by takeing them off and makeing a big deal over it.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
ps-I prefer the truth I find in superflously ridicilous music like "mindless self indulgence".

A band everyone here should check out. it's like NIN+system of a down (minus any serious aspects of either)

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
I shall have to hear M.S.I. They look like some good hearted fun loving chaps.

But if they're like NIN+SOAD, minus any serious aspects of either, then surely there would be no music.

When is there ever a 'reason' to play fast, other than playing fast?

The masks only made them popular in the media, they wouldn't have got anywhere if they didn't have any music to go with the masks. Bands have been wearing masks for ages, but most don't get as famous as slipknot. Like "the crazy world of Arthur Brown" Or GWAR

Classical music never had any lyrics, and loads of clever people like that.
And some Opera's, which are for even cleverer people, sing about stuff like shagging goats.

From this I draw the only possible conclusion that I like Slipknot and some other people do but some people don't and some people don't like them because others like them because they wear masks and some people like them because they connect with their lyrics and others don't like them because of these very same lyrics.

BUT. They do have a clown, and lots of people here juggle so they are good. But that would mean we have to say ICP are good, but only my flatmate likes them, and he's from the North (Coventry.)

Surely

slipknot is mindless self indulgence, and as long as you don't take them too seriously, everything will be fine.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
slipknot are alright imo
slayer are great
mindless self indulgence blow monkey nuts

if you want fast political music listen to

japanische kampfhörspiele

if you dont understand german then dont worry, nobody is perfect wink
wink wink biggrin biggrin

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
well, I think slipknot takes themselves to seriously, and I don't really like really fast music because often it turns into noise (sometimes the point I know) just because it's so hideiously fast.

MSI shows signs of being serious musicians, but they don't think their lyrics are inciteing great social change.

maybe my perception of slipknot is skewered by a few knuckle headed fans who wouldn't stop proclaiming how they are the greatest people to pick up instruments (not really anyone in this thread, people I went to school with)

Also, maybe the hyperbole crap I see used to sell their cd's is missleading. But overall I listen to it, and it seems really unappealing to me. If I want to hear insanely fast drumming I will listen to a profesional marching band.

ps-I mean MSI isn't serious because it doesn't really care about evokeing any amount of thought with it's lyrics. It's a lot like ICP which I can't listen to very much of, but do appreciate.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
and it's not that lyrics have to have anything to do with music, I listen to a lot of lyricless music, and a fair bit of music with absolutly dumb lyrics like a song called "My canary yellow canoe" which I have been repeatedly listening to for the past few days.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
did theose slipkonot fans call themselves maggots?

anybody interested in underground metal download this vid

its japanische kampfhörspiele

verpackt in plastik

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
Want a good band?? do i what i did and sell your soul to avenged sevenfold, all of there stuff is amazing!!!!!!

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Yes, Slipknot fans are called "Maggots" i dont klnkow how they got it. Slipknot's music is, rather than being very fast, its jsut really heavy eg:(SIC)that songs one of the heaviest...But they sing too (Wait and bleed) they take what they believe the world to be, exaggerrate it a little in a few songs.

My reason for posting about slipknot in particular was beacuse i was reading an article that took the piss out of them completely. Probably written but someone who likes artists like britany, jessica simpsons and hilary duff.

They didnt even give slipknot any credit for being unique and all they had to say was that they were "bloodthirsty and morbid"

If they want a critic, they should choose someone who likes metal, not someone who worships christina aguilera just saying....

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Uh, hate to break it to you, but Slipknot aren't particularly unique. I think they're good businessmen. They know what sells, their marketing has been handled extremely well and although the masks are stupid, they did their job: Another publicity gimmick that also allowed them to have a slightly higher level of privacy than other pop metal bands. (Until they were silly enough to take the things off)

Talented musicians perhaps, I think they play well and the lead singer can actually sing, but let's face it, the band itself has always been business.

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
When I was much younger, I remember being impressed by Slayer. I really liked the fact that the Reign in Blood album was only 29 minutes long.

That seemed impressive at the time.

Doesn't any more.

I guess back then it was speed and noise that attracted the teenage audience. Nowadays it's the politics (and the noise).

Things change. people get older.

Music is music.

and record companies just sell it to make money.

where are my slayer albums?

Meh

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: polythene

Uh, hate to break it to you, but Slipknot aren't particularly unique. I think they're good businessmen.

As is every other band in the whole nu metal movement. It's very much a corporate thing, as far as I can see.

Marilyn Manson is one of the cleverest businessmen in music. That's not to say he doesn't know how to write a decent song or anything, but he's an incredibly shrewd businessman.

Thoreau

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Exactly!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
how did i get in here again?

Meh

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
theirs truths in mindless self indulgence??? (i love mindless self indulgence)

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
only truths about mindless self indulgence.

edit:I should also note in a truely mindless and self indulgent way, they demostrate these truths mindlessly with a great deal of self indulgence.

which is why they generally seem more entertaining then most "heavy music" I have ever found. Because their mission statement is a easy one to follow, and they can't stray from it to much or they will have to pretty much drop out of the profesional music scene or drop to a much lower level.

(maybe im giving them less credit then they deserve, but I think it's probably reasonable they will continue along the same theme, perhaps expressing it in diffrent ways untill they all decide to quit and take up mindless landscapeing jobs)
EDITED_BY: Astar (1100085289)

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Slipknot= BIG DAY OUT!

I can't voice my opinion on them...I've only heard 3 songs...and 2 of those three are heart wrenching ballads (vermillion pt 1 and 2)

I've always liked Slayer and Fear Factory.

Never liked MSI, their lyrics offend me.

-shrugs-

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
I would have to say Slipknot is actually quite original.

Compare them to any other Nu-metal band, and they share aspects, but their overall sound is very different, I don't think you would find Linkin Park touring with Slayer.
No nu-metal drummers come close to Joey, he does stuff none of them could hope to play.
And he doesn't just play fast, in the Fear Factory/Slayer style of things, he's all over the place, messing wiv time signatures and polyrhythm's and all that jazz.

Anyone who had only heard the songs released on MTV could be forgiven for thinking they where a generic Nu-metal band, but anyone who has heard the albums would probably disagree.

They are quite amazing musicians in my opinion.
Sure they have loads of extras, like two monkey drummers who just hit bits of metal, but the guitarists, bassist and drummer are mental. As is the DJ, check his solo on the DVD if ya don't believe me.

Anyway, music's all subjective innit. So maybe they're good AND bad all at the same time smile

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I don't like nu-metal personally but I have to admit actually watching Joey play is something else.

Too much jogging though - it was OK on the first album but, as Monty Python would say, it's got silly.

Thoreau

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I have heard the albums and I've already said they are talented musicians, but the main topic was lyrical content, and I don't think that they're particularly original- I think marketing, rather than music itself was the main driving force for Slipknot, and I don't blame them. Their music isn't bad, I like some of it, but I wouldn't ever take it seriously. At the end of the day, they've made a good living from what they do, where many others fail and they now have the resources to make music that actually means something should they choose to. Everyone's a winner smile

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Surfacing's a good tune. Good at a rock night or something. But I couldn't sit down and listen to it seriously.

Thoreau