-TeenWolf-member
42 posts

Posted:
first question... has anyone else tried this?

I tried it for the first time last night, and thought it was really fun, kind of a neat alternate workout. I havn't actually gotton to a skatepark to do it yet, but that would require me to get new stunt blades first anyways, so I'll just be content with my road skates for now, at least till I'm a little more comfortable with the movements. I found that weaving isn't terribly difficult, but many other moves are a lot harder because of the side to side movement of your legs in coheasion(sp) with the poi kind of gets in the way, or makes you try to do a 90 degree turn with your waist when you push forewards... kind of a weird sensation.

If I can get out today before work I'm going to, and I'm going to try different moves, but I don't know how this'll turn out.

LoL ^_^;;

"By the pricking of my thumbs
Something wicked this way comes"
-Macbeth Act4 Scene1

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
My friend Jules got pretty good at poi-ing on his Snakeboard...

Not quite the same, but wicked nonetheless

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
sorry we dont have Lollerblades in germany biggrin

-TeenWolf-member
42 posts

Posted:
WHAT NO LOLLERSKATES! pomg, have a pair imported or something dude, you don't know what you're msising out on!

-Macbeth Act4 Scene1

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
*wonders what lollerskates are* rolleyes

i've tried spinning on a snowboard. went flat on my face though after a few meters ubblol

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ive been wanting to try poi on quad skates. I was a big roller skater back in the day and had a very dancy style. Loved to shuffle skate. I think the quad skates would go better with poi than blades cuz you can maneuver and dance a bit more. No ankle restraint or linear movement restriction.

Also, I was thinking more about just poiing with skates, not really skating with poi if ya know what I mean. Just use the skates to enhance my dance.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

-TeenWolf-member
42 posts

Posted:
lol Faberge, Lollerskates are obviouslyl rollerskates! :P sorry

I think I must agree with Icon but I enjoy a challange, so I'm going to work on this, and when I figure out all the physics and stuff behind it I'll make a quick vid and subitorize it

-Macbeth Act4 Scene1

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I'm an ex speed skater from a while back and have thought about combining my two loves for a while.

I tried it once but found it extremely difficult simply because when I put on my rollerskates (yes I am an old fashioned quad skater) I like to go really fast and I found I had to concentrate so hard on slowing myself down that I really didn't have the proper level of concentration to focus on spinning my poi.

I am going to keep trying it though....may main concern is if I manage to get the whole thing going right and I want to try with fire won't the spin off from the poi make the ground slippery??

-TeenWolf-member
42 posts

Posted:
naw... I wouldn't think that there'd be enough spin off from the poi to make the ground slippery... I mean, unless you coat the ground in oil?

-Macbeth Act4 Scene1

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Well after I have practised some more I think I would be willing to give it a go...will have to let you know how it goes.