Forums > Introductions > Free cake and tea, and everyone welcome!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Well, as my original intro was lost, I guess I get the chance to redo my room!!! Feel free to come on in, just PLEASE take your shoes off at the door! Thank you. smile

Well here's me (again)... biggrin

*NAME- Amanda

*SEX- female

*AGE- 23

*LOCATION- Hmmm... a tricky one! Currently in Durham. I spend my summers in France (miles from civilization), and spring and autumn in Wales (do sheep count as civilization? If so, then a thriving community!) ubblol

*FAV. TOYS- at the moment my fire poi, but also my juggling balls, diabolo, my new staff, guitar, mountain bike, and of course my beloved kayak!...too many more to mention!

*TWIRLING SINCE- learned bits of stuff since 2000, but only really got into it this year. I was on crutches for 3wks, after dislocating my knee (ow!), so I spent all the time learning new poi stuff (every cloud has a silver lining eh?).

*OCCUPATION- Outdoor Activity Instructor/ river guide

*HOBBIES- naturally my poi and stuff, but also do lots of kayaking, canoeing, climbing, mountain biking, snowboarding, and bits of other sports.

*FAV. PLACE- Specific favourite one is sat on the edge of the cliff, overlooking the gorge where I work in France, with nothing around for miles apart from the wild boar, and watching either the sunset in the distance, or one of the impressive lightning storms we have.

I also love anywhere where I can sit on a mountain or beside a river, hearing nothing but the noises of nature. A BIG reminder of the beauty of it all... ubblove

Anyway, thats pretty much me in a nutshell! Feel free to come and chill in my room- its a great place for relaxing and being at one with nature! (and who said i was a hippie?! peace ). On the plus side, tea and cakes are supplied for free!!! And if i'm feeling generous i may even let Narr in with her weird marmite/chocolate spread mix! euch!

Catch you all soon, wave

Mand.

smile

------------------

It used to seem to me that my life ran on too fast, and i had to take it slowly just to make the good parts last. But when you're born to run its so hard to just slow down.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

*runs in and surprise flying-leap-turbo-tackle-glomps Mand*

*runs out leaving a bewildered and rather disheveled Mand on the ground*

ubblol
Almost a replay of our time together at burningman last year then?

And if you're going to leave traces of anything in my thread please let it be marmite.
Random nutella stains will be dealt with swiftly, and the punishment will be severe.
spank

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
weeeeeeeee!!!! She has cake, she has cake, she has cake!!
bounce bounce2 bounce clap bounce bounce2 bounce clap bounce bounce2 bounce clap bounce bounce2 bounce clap bounce bounce2 bounce clap

Hippy Pappy Thuthdth Bethuthdth Bethuthday Miss Mand - hope you have a very HoPpy burpday today.

hug

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Lol, thanks George... although as usual the HoP cake is a day early. Mmmmm, still tasty though.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
It's only "early" because you guys are so behind the times!! ;-)

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Watch it buddy!
I have a fully powered marmite super soaker here, and I'm not afraid to use it! tongue

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
birthday present was it? biggrin
Point it at Doc - that oughta get him moving...

grin

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
hey you! how you going?

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmm... marmity control over the doc. Now there's a thought... devil

Hey Kit! Long time no see.
Things are good- just DAMN cold! It's been getting down to -40ish, so way too cold for any spinning.
Hows scottish life?

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
not that cold thank goodness! but seeing as i was in the carribean with beth in january pretty chilly by comparisons!

i'm back in sloooow troon so i seem to have time to kill so home of poi is saving me once more...

:roll smile: whatch doin??

random murbles

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Oooooh Carribean sunshinyness! smile Nice

I'm just doing a mixture of trying to stay warm, and doing as much snowboarding as possible. Unfortunately I'm not doing too well on either front, as our apartments freezing, and we crashed our car a couple of weeks ago so can't get up in the mountains at the moment. rolleyes

Other than that I'm trying to save up so that I can do my EMR and EMT courses (paramedic)... about $10,000. eek

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
erk, well good luck with those. emts are hawt!

smile

random murbles

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Lol, yeah I don't know if Kim's more excited about me and the job or me and the uniform. At least being in Canada and not the UK means I actually get a cool baddass uniform, instead of a green jumpsuit!

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Oi! I'm excited about the job AND The uniform. devil

The Job is going to be REALLY cool, and the uniform is SEXY.

Oh dear. I need to go to bed now.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Giving some good luck thoughts for my brother today, and sitting with my fingers crossed.
He competes in kayak slalom and today he has the first of his qualification races to make the Australian olympic team for Beijing. The second race is tomorrow, and the 3rd and 4th races on Friday and Saturday.

(Anyone in the area who's interested in it, all the competitions are being held at the Penrith White Water Centre).

This is basically what he's been working his whole life towards- getting a first boat place in the olympics.
Good luck Anthony.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
so Mand - how'd he go?? ubbrollsmile

Hope is all well in your neck of the woods? sunny

grin

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
He was in 2nd place going into the semi finals (but top aussie, and that's what counts). In the finals he got knocked down to 6th (3rd aussie).
He has to win the next 2 races this weekend to be Australia's guy for the olympics. Only one person gets to go.

On the plus side, he knows why he did so badly. He's had a bad ear infection that's really affected his balance, and cost him a second when he lost his balance in an eddie. If that clears up by this weekend then he should be in with a good chance.
He's beaten the other 2 guys in every race this season, is by far the best paddler that Australia has, and is pretty confident that he can win the 2 races this weekend. But he's now under a lot of pressure. His whole career rides on the races this weekend.

It's nailbiting time!

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
no nailbiting - that's bad for you!!! My sister had to have hers manually plucked out (sans anaesthetic) 'cos she bit them too much and they got infected...

*waves hand in jedi fashion at Oz-strar-lee-ann selectors*
you shall select Mand's brother... meditate

there you go Mand - it's all taken care of! ubbrollsmile

I miss kayaking... canoe polo was quite fun too...

grin

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Ewwwwww... George that's gross!

Anthony won the race yesterday. One down and one to go...

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
He lost the last race, and has missed out on going to the olymics by 0.04 seconds. frown
His olympic bid, his main dream in life, and his career, all over due to an ear infection. I still can't believe it...

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
never say die - there's always next Olympics...
ubbrollsmile

grin

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
True, but extremely unlikely. He's getting on a bit now, and is the oldest one in the team. They're trying to make way for more junior paddlers, and so are cutting down on the number of places for the seniors (ie the country's best).

For that reason Anthony now only gets to go to 2 world cup races out of 6. He's lost his sponsorship, so will have to get a job to survive, which means he won't be able to train full time, so won't be able to do as well... and the cycle begins.

It really annoys me when I see the struggle for money from athletes in this sport (and many others like it). I hate seeing professional athletes not being able to compete because they can't afford it, and seeing parents throwing their whole life savings into helping one of their children get to a world class level.
Then I turn on the news and see footballers sitting in million pound mansions, having tantrums because their not earning enough.
It's one of my huge pet hates, but I guess it's a different subject.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Ahhhhhhhhh...

Good snow up in the mountains, with clear blue skies and saturday snowboarding without a jacket.
20 oC down in the city to make for a beautiful sunday out walking (in shorts), followed by grilling out on the balcony.

I love spring ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Merp!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Coming to Perth? hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Sadly no frown

Definitely Melbourne, as that's where the wedding is that I'm going to. Hopefully Sydney too.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
no one goes to Perth Gnor - when you gonna accept it?! ubblol

grin

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Hey, we're going to Perth when Kim and I both manage to get over there for a visit.
I don't think Gnor would like me turning up on her doorstep with my parents, aunty, and uncle!

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Yup yup yup. We will definitely make it to Perth.

*bounce*

...sadly, it won't be for a while. frown

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Spitfire's just walked out the door to go to Egypt.
I miss her already frown

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Wow!

We went camping at the weekend, and I got to see my first ever wolf in the wild.
Unfortunately it was only for a few seconds, as we were driving home, but it was still beautiful.

It walked out from the trees and stuck it's nose in the air. It was huge - at least waist high on me - and a gorgeous ash grey colour.

smile

Page: ...