JollyGreenGiantmember
44 posts

Posted:
Ok, I've read this forum especially the part about building your own staff, but I don't have access to anything that resembles a hardware store. So, I've been looking online for a place to buy my first staff (I've been practicing with a broomstick and Ray's 3 piece staff) I'm abnormally tall so I am looking for one about 5 feet long. Also I would prefer a 3 piece to help in transporting it.

I found this one that I like at Renegade Juggling But it seems to be kinda pricey. (The one with the 4 inch wicks)

Has anyone else bought from Renegade Juggling? Where else should I look for fire staffs?

-Eric
A wise monkey never monkeys around with another monkey's monkey...

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Have you checked out bearclaw yet?

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
This is Adamrice's website.I hear it is a bit pricey but very high quality stuff.

Don't forget about the HoP shop as well.

bulldozermember
38 posts

Posted:
Personally I can highly recommened the Innercore staff from Concentrate (https://www.concentrate.com.au).
It is a bit expensive but well worth the money because it collapses quite nicely and you can turn it into swinging clubs as well but the biggest advantage is that the fiberglass middle prevets it from bending if/when dropped.
Bending and thus creating rickety joins seem otrherwise to be one of the main problems with take-apart staffs.
I´m currently traveling around the world and am very happy with my Innercore staff.
You used to be able to buy it right here at HOP but not anymore it seems. However it is possible to get it directly from Concentrate even though they don´t have an online shop (that´s how I got mine).

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. --Mark Twain

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
check out butterfingers
i've never used em for staff's but they seem cheap

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
smile

nice one.

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
lil button at the top of your screen says go shopping wink

SirEggomember
37 posts

Posted:
if you buy a staff from renegade you must be aware that there are only 2 screws holding on the wick,

reinforce this with a third screw in the middle of the opposite side of the wick add white glue to the ends so the kevlar dosnt frey and your set. oh and beware aluminum heats up very quickly.

where there are ashes from those burnt by flame
the phoenix rises again and again.

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
another staff maker - jimsfiretoys.com - i have to pimp him out because he GAVE me my first stick a few weeks ago. I love it.

FireDollJamienewbie
14 posts

Posted:
I bought one from firetoys.co.uk - a 3 part staff that was a reselling of a concentrate staff. I enjoyed it tremendously but treat it with KID GLOVES when it comes to assembling / dissassembling the joints. Mine became worn / unattachable in less than 3 weeks - but I tend to be a little rough on my toys in general compared to most. They are returning it for me so I do like the company still.

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
why go for a three piece staff every one i known to buy one it has always ended up bent or dead within a coulpe of months.why not try and look tho these:

https://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/fire_staffs.html

i love them!!!!
mike.c

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

Merlynsfiremember
13 posts

Posted:
For my two pence worth the ONLY stick I have ever seen and played with worth spending cash on over making yourself is the one by Concentrate (https://www.concentrate.com.au), also available from juggleart (.com? Austrailian shop in Melbourne). They price is ok-ish but the fact that they are 'sprung' allowing the to flex when they hit the deck stops them bending or going out of shape even on concrete, certainly mine have come down from as high as I can throw spinning fast and been missed by me and many others over around four years and they're still in excellent condition pewrfect working order. They have taken abuse no other staff would have (that I know of) and have undoubtably saved me money already in not needing to replace or repair them, lets face it working tools need to be in working order!.

I'd rather go Poi with myself!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
^^ what the major said!!! :nods:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FireDollJamienewbie
14 posts

Posted:
-transportable
-can put both wicks in fuel simultaneous to ensure consistent burn
-gives you that 'assembling a cool toy' feeling every time
-poolcueitis

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Mine are 3 years old, used at least a million times wink

rewicked 3 times - still not bent and still going strong smile

The best staffs for doubles spinny "spinny" goodness cool

as opposed to spinny "contacty" goodness wink

ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
just what i was going to say!

make your own to the exact spec you want them and then your got the best staff you could possibly have for yourself

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i have never re-wicked mine, they never need it, bonus of making sure you care for them correctly

Step (el-nombrie)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
and dont use them enough wink tongue

(i didnt realise you had an innercore mech - sweet smile)

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
the first sets of staff i made man where inner full cores, i still have my parctive inner core one...

do you wnat me to bring it to falmouth?

Step (el-nombrie)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
not that type of innercore dude.......

3 piece staffs - called innercore staffs, you know the ones, im pretty sure you havnt made them like that........... moulding those handles is a bugger smile

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i made some early three setion staffs that where not linked by chains

they are three sections that join together.

sorry for bing stupid

Step (el-nombrie)

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
That's Innercore, rather than innercore.

I love my Concentrate Innercore. (have I mentioned that before?) I toss very high, it falls hard, still in perfect straight shape.

I'm about to build an innercore, though-- aluminum with hard wood dowels in the ends. We'll see how that fares.
linda

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
this terminology has been an issue previously on Hop.
generally speaking..

1. the innercore brand staff from concentrate is three piece and break down set.

Non-Https Image Link

2. the wushu weapon is a three section. but i have never met a wushu practioner who calls it 'three sectional' (it doesn't make sense and likely made up)

Non-Https Image Link

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Has anyone used of the firetoys wood fire staffs?
(one of these)

I want a staff for contact playing and have used a few of other people's. Aluminium seems to be too light and transfers heat far too easily. Wooden staffs seem to feel more natural to me too.

I would make one (and I may well make one after I've bought one) but I dont think that I know enough yet (due to my lack of staffy knowledge) and the heads would probably come flying off or it would be too heavy or it would snap too easily, etc.

I think I can manage to not smack it into the floor hard enough to snap it (I think!) but would like to know if anyone has tested the durability of these firey sticks?