tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone!
I was wondering if someone could help me with what I thought was an easy problem to fix... I've gotten my throws down pretty good without fire, but I've found that I can't track the staff as well with fire. I've tried using reflective tape on either side of the grip, but it didn't make a difference. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Blackfiremember
15 posts

Posted:
hi toneman,
the problem is that you get blended by the flame, so you can't see the staff. When I throw my staff I look between the flames where ste staff is, not in the flames. This neets a little bit of practice and concentration at the beginning. It also helps when you have a bit of white tape around the middle of your staff, so that you have an fixed point you can concentrate on.

I hope this helps you!

Blackfire

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
If you practise at dusk with fire that should probably help to ease you into doing throws in the dark.

Generally though, try to get to a point where you 'feel' the staff so much you can rely on the force and angle of your throws to determine when and where to catch it and then you won't have to depend on sight as much and even one day have a go blindfolded!!! (Joking, though I've tried it myself! )

Good luck mate

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
Thanks! I was just a bit baffled because I've got my catches to about 95% when I can see it, but about 30% when it's dark. Practice practice practice

Ranunculusmember
8 posts

Posted:
I started a thread on this a while back (can't remember when, much kero under the bridge since then). I found the piece of white electrical tape in the centre of the staff makes a huge difference, I probably catch at least 90% of my throws after dark now (apart from when I get a little carried away and try and put the staff into orbit).

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
What type of reflective tape did you use? They have tape that is the same stuff that is on road signs/running shoes and stuff. that silver stuff that gets really bright with a little bit of light.

I was thinking if you used that the light from the wicks may be enough to make it bright enough so your eyes don't focus on the wicks so much.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
I found that reflective stuff doesn't work very well for this. The angle is too shallow for the light from the fire to reflect very much off the tape. Brightly coloured tape shows up a lot better than shiny stuff.

I was thinking it would be cool to have a staff with a small transparent section right in the middle, with a superbright LED in it. That would show up very nicely. Unfortunately I don't have the will or the skill to go to the effort of making it

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I tape four glow stix to mine. Two either end/side of my grip tape. Then i can always see it, looks pretty cool aswell.
I'll have pictures in the new year, I'll post them up here.

I have tried loads of tapes and i find that nothing elce is quite as good as a good old glo stick
LOL
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.

"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
thanks everyone! I was using red reflective tape, and came to same conclusion Simian did... angle was wrong for good reflection. I would have used silver, but I've got it wrapped around my practice stick and it's pretty expensive... I'm worried about repeatedly dropping my 52" concentrate on concrete. I'm going to try out just some white medical tape in the center tonite to see how that works... My electroglo's got me spoiled! can't miss those
thanks again!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Pffft. Practice blindfolded all the time and none of this will ever be an issue...

Jesus helps me trick people.

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Just to agree pointlessly, I use some neon bright tape bang in the middle of my staff, gives you a central point to focus on and catch at. Reflective stuff doesn't give you a constant light, neon is much better. Don't look at the ends! They fool you, they do.

Tis indeed just practice. I like the glowstick idea too, have been known to use that in places where fire ain't allowed, but now I have my very own glo-staff I can use that instead! *very very happy with my Christmas present*

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'm working on it still, but I figured out that I'm blinding myself before throwing by looking at the flame, and trying to catch a tracer... the place we spin is really dark since it's a hilly area and no lights, so the combination of dark + fire was tricking me!!

Thanks again!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
pracitce at dusk - that way you will naturally learn to rely on your internal tracking of the staff, rather than the visual cues (which as you rightly point out, can be quite misleading)...its a lot easier once you have this.

As for practicing blindfolded, well I think thats a bit like telling someone to run in order to learn how to walk - there are intermediate steps by which you can learn the same skills without risking hospitalisation at every practice I'd suggest leaving the blind fold until you can catch throws without looking at the staff.

Josh

Tanessamember
91 posts

Posted:
If you can time out the spins on your staff in the air, (like making whole complete rotations before you catch it), then you should be able to just know when to place you hand out for the catch. Timing is a big thing, and working on the propulsion of the spins, will also help. If you know the timing of the spins on your staff, you should be able to do blind catches as well. If you practice control on your tosses, (like being able to toss it straight up and down in front of you without moving your feet), then it will be easy for you to make the catch everytime. Plz also learn the thumb toss, instead of just the open-handed toss, and you will gain a lot more control, enabling you to pull off spins, cartwheels, and whatever other funky moves under the staff before catching it.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Tennessa, I agree with you. timeing is the key.

I threw a really high fast one last night, and my watching mind was going 'oh shit!' but the part of me concerned with catching the staff was counting under its breath. You always catch the staff in the same part of its spin, and the velocity of spin dosnt change much in the air, so that if you keep in you head the rythum of the spin, the 'beats' being on the catch then you only have to stick your hand on the beat when the staff is closest to you. Just track yuor centre tape and trust your body to chose the right moment, if you can do it by day, your body will remember at night. only thing to consider is that a burning staff is slightly slower than a lit one.

Tennessa, I dissagree with you. The thumb throw is difficult to learn and if you have already started with open hand, and found an effective throw with it, stick with it. thumb tosses cant be done back hand so it limits release points. really we should learn all variations and techniquies, but thats unrealistic and not much fun, I do huge running throws and catches open hand with no problems. just do what feels right.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
this a good times to demand explanation of a thumb throw?? Mite it be a thro while your thumb is leading, across the back of the hand?? just curious...

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Tanessa chats about the thumb toss here.

Tanessa claims it's "the right way to throw" which is a little bit strong, but it is my favourite way to throw, with a lovely feeling of controlled power, POWER I TELL YOU BWAHAHAHAH, umm... excuse me.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."