Page:
SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
So, I can do all sorts of sick little tricks with my staff, but the thing the eludes me to this day is that dastardly palm spin. I can get about a half rotation before it catches on a finger or the staff loses it's momentum. I've watched Xaeda do it a millon times in her vids, but I can't get it down to save my life confused. Are there any tricks or techniques to this????------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Keep your hand flat. Don't use your fingers. Use your palm to keep the momentum going.If you spin into it then the initial momentum should help a lot.------------------C@ntusDance the dance that plays within the fire and play guitar and the play it inspired. You said you wouldn't leave me not ever, underneath the sky forever.And we're so far from home, no wish to return. there's so much that we have taught and so much we have learned.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
How do you use your palm to keep the staff spinning while keeping it flat at the same time?------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is that a serious question? I menat keep your fingers out of the way. have your hand flat. Dont cup your hand but, also don't arch your fingers back.use your palm to sin it rather than your finger tips or thumb. Am i not making any sense to anyone or is Puppy just being objectionable?

Meh

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hmmm, lemme have a go at it, ummm, keep your hand flat, and just let the staff spinn, dont try to keep it going, just spin into it, so your palm is facing upwards,a nd then dont move your hand, just keep it flat, and the staff will spin on its own, try it with like a soccer ball or something first, just spin it so it stays on the palm of your hand, and spins, thats the basic idea, hmmm, i think that might make sense, probably not, oh well...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I'm not being objectoinable, Cantus. I'm just really freaking frustrated that I'm having so much trouble with such a basic move. I actually bent my staff on my head, last night when I tried it with a lot of momentum and it flew off my hand. The problem I'm having is that the staff will go 180 and then sort of hook on my thumb, then the staff just comes down around my back. I got a full 360 one time then it hooked on my thumb again. I just can't seem to get the damn thing out of the way.The thing that really pisses me off is that I used to be able to do this years ago, but I spent so much time in martial arts conditioning my self **not** to do this (because it is, really, quite pointless in a fighting context) that now I can't get it at all..... Fuck. I guess it's really not something I'm going to get from someone trying to explain it to me in text. I'll just have to hunt someone down and watch them do it in person. Unfortunately, as for as I know, I am the only staffer in Denver. Oh well frown... I suppose in the mean time I'll just keep busy knocking the crap out of myself with my three section. Thanks anyway.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
just perserveer (?) man, you know youll get it wink work up from 360.have fun.

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Well if I'm ever in the neighbourhood Puppy....------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well - when I get a really good palm spin, I'm actually arching my fingers back so that the balance point of the staff is spinning on the front of my knuckles (palm side). Genereally however I do it on my fingers, that way I can feel if its going out of alignment and make corrections. I dunno - I think its one of those tricks you need to practice a lot. One thing I know is that the difference between a shit palm spin and a nice one is the entry.Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
My palmspins are mostly overhead and/or BTB type things. I'm not sure if that's what you had in mind.I do do a kind of fingertop spin - like you do with a basketball (Only mine is on two fingers and a thumb instead of just one finger). I only do it occasionally to show off grin

Meh

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
I found that I can only do a palm spin by arching my fingers slightly back (not too much though in case you need to grab it fast), and then on the part of you hand that you get calouses on, spin it on that. Start slower, get 180 good, then do a 360.. just work your way up into more and more speed.It worked for me anyways.. *shrugs* hope I helped some.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I think palm spins are one of the easiest tricks I can do (except for burnoffs).If you are having problems a possivble cause is your staff handle or material it is made out of.The wider the handle/staff, the harder palmspins are.The more 'grabby' the surface, such as leather/rubber etc, the harder palmspins are.I deliberately put smll amoujnts of fuel on the staff bfore doing a palmspin so that it lasts for ages and looks very smooth.This is on bare aluminium (with some strips of black tape so I know where the centre is.SickPuppy - Interesting that it hooks on your thumb, I actually use my thumb to centre it again (the base of the thumb not the joing parts) if I feel it going off centre, maybe working with the spin when it hooks might be another angle to try.If it goes off cente on the other side of the palm I just tilt it slightly so that the edge of the palm where it is travelling to is higher than the rest and the staff gently moves back to the centre...Hope this helps, though we may all have different styles for this type of move...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Not necessarily Charles. That's basically what i do but i couldn't think how to put it into words.And I use the base of my thumb and the heel of my palm in combination to propel the staff to maintain a spin. ------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

swiftythefireguymember
61 posts

Posted:
hey i felt ive mastered the palm spin it actualy seemed quit simple until i tried it with a different staff and i realized i had found the key ingredients to making it easy first you must have good lead in helicopters btb and ftb all work well second is the staff. mine is a 5'6" solid 3/4" aluminum that breaks down into 3 equal pieces this sucker is heavy!!!!!! the extra weight gives the momentum needed to perform spins that would seem to never want to end i can perform vertical palm spins as well as horizontal ones momentum is keythird in the exact center i have a bump in my wrap ( electrical tape) so i can always feel if it is starting to wobble then make any corrections as mentioned above and last but not least practice practice practicei am trying to get some video together i'll post it soon

dont ever ask me whta time it is ?where are we? or are we there yet? because the time is now!we here !and we wil never be there !

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Well Charles, it's not my staff material or size, it's copper and only 3/4 inch diameter, that's what, less than two cm? It's not the wrap, because I have none at the moment. I can do it BTB with no problems. Like in the beginning of Xaeda's "revese jedi - inverse ewok" combination, I suppose that's a BTB helicopter (time to drag the thread for names of staff moves?) For a while I could only pull that off if the palm spins were in there. It's just doing it straight out of the helecopter, above my head, that I'm having troubles. It's dumb, I know. I just seem to have some sort of mental block with this move. The reason it's bothering me is because I'm way beyond capable of pulling this move off. It's like reading Neitszche and then not being able to comprehend Dr. Suess.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
vertical palm spins???please elaborate...

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
It isn't a "vertical" palm spin. It is a BTB helicopter with a palm spin thrown in, you have to bend way over in order to keep the staff spinning hrizontally, other wise it would be a BTB rotor. Although, a vertical palm spin sounds theoreticly possible, but I would think it easier to just use a hand wrap, but then I'm bad at palm spins, so what do I know?------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
No puppy, Whiffle squeek was referring to something that swiftythefirewotsit said. Took me a while to work out what was going on too.

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm actually trying to learn vertical palmsipns at the moment, maximum number is 3 1/2 turns in right hand or one single turn each when doing doubles...ok ok so they aren't COMPLETELY vertical, my hand tilts back a little but I'm still proud o' meself ....------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Woo. Well I'm impressed Charles. Is that with your big huge staffs?------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is 3 half turns, one and a half turns? Or do you mean half turn - stop - half turn - stop etc?------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

swiftythefireguymember
61 posts

Posted:
yeah i can get about 4-5 spins on the vertical who had a good new years ? sorry about shouting cantus i'll watch the caps lock/spun under jupiter and saturn on new years really ripped shit up see ya guys soon gona been in nz for 2003

dont ever ask me whta time it is ?where are we? or are we there yet? because the time is now!we here !and we wil never be there !

swiftythefireguymember
61 posts

Posted:
yeah i can get about 4-5 spins on the vertical who had a good new years ? sorry about shouting cantus i'll watch the caps lock/spun under jupiter and saturn on new years really ripped shit up see ya guys soon gona been in nz for 2003

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I thought this was all about spinning large coconut trees... tongue*runs away before being told off for talking off subject - especailly in a staff thread*

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
Perhaps the staff getting hooked is due to perculiar hands. Try holding the staff on your palm and run in circles whilst everyone watching runs around you in the same direction. Or maybe not. You'd just get dizzy. OOh. Just remembered that getting dizzy is fun. I'm off outside.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I'm not shure if I should laugh my ass off at that or if I should take that personally.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Perhapse I will do both.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
sorry for the confusion...im still amazed at the concept of the staff somehow adhereing to your vertical palm...:runs off to attempt the magical move:

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Puppy: no grip? That's the problem. Either use a heavy stick with a wider diameter or add a small walnut-shaped grip out of electrical tape to your stick. Go into the move by holding stick palm up in right hand, rod crossing wrist. Rotate the stick CCW horizontally straight up and open hand directly overhead. Hold hand in "shuto" position. Feel the small lump of the walnut-shaped grip spin in your palm. Control it this way. As it starts to lose momentum, smartly snatch it up and go on to another one.Maximus

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
you know those chinese (i think) silver balls aboutthe size of a golf ball? they fit into your palm ant you are to move them in a circle around each other... the trick is is that they have jingly thingies inside and you are to keep them quiet.well, anyways i know this aint no palm spinnin' but when my momentum runs out and my palm spin slows down prematurely i throw that in 4 a rotation an there wego fasterid say thats about 2 cents

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Vertical spins aren't as bad as they sound, I tilt my hand backwards slightly so that the staff pushes off the bottom of my hand every time it trys to go downwards. If anyone else has some further advice I'd like to hear other options...Um...damn...yes ok, the spins I talked about are actually halfspins...As to another way to look at it, does anyone remember making this little paper square with pinched corners at school?You put it on your finger and walked forward, the pressure of the air squeezing through the corners made it spin and stay on your finger, vertical spins are something (without the spinning air thing) like that or at least in the same ballpark...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Page: