Forums > Technical Discussion > Something simple the has eluded me

Login/Join to Participate

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Turning 90 degrees in a direction. I can do both a high turn and a low turn, but when it comes too turning just 90 degrees, I'm just not sure if I'm doing it properly. When twrling forwards to turn left, I cross one over to the left side and turn 90 degrees left. This doesn't change the direction my poi are spinning in, and it seems to pass very close to my body and nicks me alot, which is something I don't want happening if I use fire. So am I doing something wrong or do I just need to work on this more?

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
This is tricky because it involves foricing a direction change in one beat. It's like the elusive "smooth transition from butterfly to weave" that people post about here sometimes.

Possible solutions off the top of my head:

- Use the transition that you use now, but slow waaaay down. Less velocity = less momentum, which means the force you put on the poi will have more of an effect.

- Use a wrap, or if you don't want to hit yourself, a near wrap. Make the transition when the poi is still against you body, or in the case of the near wrap, as close your body as it will come during the manoeuvre.

- Practice! I imagine that just practicing forcing it, your chances of being hit will decrease. You'll subconisously learn how to move to avoid the poi. Whether it will look smooth or not is another issue. You'll probably have to slow down, as mentioned above.

Good luck man!

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
About the butterfly to weave comment: Another problem with Butterfly to Weave or Weave to Butterfly is that Weave is split beat and Butterfly isn't.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Why can't a butterfly be split time??

So much fire, so little body hair...

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Butterfly can be split time and is quite frequently

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I should have learned this earlier but is there anything special you need too do for a revrese overhead butterfly or a revrse alternate butterfly? Mine always hit me in the back or when I bring them back in front they've changed direction.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Isn't a butterfly in split time a helicopter?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Millenium: no

in answer, if you turn 90 degrees and leave the poi in the same place, congratulations, you have discovered the wall plane! Dont worry about the fire nicking you, is actually much harder to burn yourself than at first apears.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Now if you could only convince my mom about that fire thing.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hit her in head with burning poi, after she get out of breath chasing you she realise she not burnt!

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
+), not only could that get him in trouble, it could also get you in trouble.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I beilive she'd let me try it if I was better at it. I showed her and my uncle some of my new tricks today, but it was durring the day and dead glow sticks don't look all that impressive, but they liked it still. I wish I could do some of the butterfly things backwards though.

Hecatonchiresmember
45 posts

Posted:
Backwards, or behind your back? First one is dead simple, although ttn backwards likes to hit me in the face. Behind the back, well, maybe I should start up Yoga again.

--Luke

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Backwards. But I got it now. I think I've been at poi for about a month now. ^_^

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
one hand at a time