Forums > Technical Discussion > Trident/Staff contact juggling resources?

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi All,I'm interested in learning contact staff juggling...that is, where you move a staff like object around your body and limbs without touching it with your hands - CubeFX has a nice vid in Staff moves if you need further clarification as to what I'm talking about...Anyhow - I asked my juggling teacher if he knew how to do it, but he doesnt...and I dont think there is anyone in Adelaide that is particularly interested in this form of object manipulation (in fact, I've done a site search and a google search on the topic, and had surprisingly little come back).Does anyone know of any resources in existence which teach this art? If you know a book title or a tutorial or something - anything - please tell me, cuz I'm having a hard time just trying to rip the moves from what I'm seeing on vid (its one of those -doing is not quite like watching - things smile)Any help would be appreciated.Josh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Josh, this reall comes under the category of "any help" as I can't help you with a staff contact juggling book; I think you're writing that one. Now, I'm a novice, and I'm not trying to state the bleeding obvious, but why don't you adapt some of the contact ball stuff to staff. I brought a proper 4" contact ball ($20, not acrylic) and I just roll it around my shoulders, arms and stuff for short time each night. I'm not in a hurry, but I found practicing with a proper ball really helps with the staff stuff, and they are sooo much fun smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've been chatting to some contact jugglers recently. I've been teaching them basic staff and they've been showing me some rudimentary juggling.I've managed to move way from my basic palm spin and have developed a elbow spin/back spin combo - which needs lots of work before i start transcribing it for this forum.

Meh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Josh,I don't know of any resources for that specifically and couldn't find any when I looked, however, in the CubeFX video much of what he did with the trident was very similar to many moves with Devil Stix, which involves the continual motion and sliding of the loose stick across and over the support sticks. Instead of a loose stick use yuor staff and instead of support sticks use your arms. Instead of gripping the staff you let it hit and roll over your arms/palms and flick it back up/over so it is in continual motion. With much practice most of the moves with Devil Sticks can be translated over to the staff and body. I have been experimenting with this and in addition to being left with very sore arms I have a couple of moves coming along very slowly but nicely. I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for but it might be a step in the right direction. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 22 November 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,This is weird, I was having a go at this devil stick action today, got some nice bruises too.I really wanna know the one where it rolls over your back as you turn your body, I think i figure the physics of it but havent a clue how to actually initate the move.Contact is definatly the next level in staff tricks, More tricks please smilen

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
when y'all figure this out let me know, i might be flexible enough by then to learn it... smilePere

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well...so far Pere, it looks like I'm going to have to go and study under a master in China to learn this stuff...once I'm done I'll write a book tho grinJosh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
There's a guy here in Auckland called Tim who is amazing at this sort of thing.I spent a long time trying to a neckwrap 360, but it kept dropping down under my shoulder.Then I saw Tim do the same move ON PURPOSE, and then into a bicep wrap and onwards. My biggest mistake was not noticing the staff wanting to go under the shoulder and playing on that.He lets the staff follow it's natural momentum to swing around the body, like starting with a bicep wrap that rolls up onto the shoulder, down the back and up onto the the other shoulder, then round the neck and back again.My suggestions would be to experiment with standard contact juggling moves but also to play the the momentum along the length of the staff, seeing where it wants to go, instead of forcing it to go somewhere else. And everything else inbetween as well...Does that make sense?------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
That's kind of what I've been doing with my doubles tonight. Trying to see where the staff flows rather than forcing them to do stuff. Although if i let it go exactly where it wants to go it'll hit me in the face and lie on the floor. ------------------C@ntusDance beneath the stars, we sound system, we the collective, with a open heart, we the solution - should be respected!

Meh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
been chippin away at the trident vid...found that you can dd a backward rotor in front of the body, place the midle on your shoulder (with the staff going to hit you in the back) and imeadatly turn AWAY from the shoulder the staff is on by 180 and Hey Presto! it comes back over the other shoulder! Not smooth by any means and im shure there are better transitions into it but Its happening.Anyway, maybe this should be on the moves thread....Nix

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti