Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Why is Poi not really known in the ooutside world?

Login/Join to Participate

Fire_GrrBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Why did i have to learn Poi through chance? Everyone knows what fire eating is, juggleing, even staff, but why dont many people know about poi?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I have had a step poi learning curve in the last year. Up until then I was in blissful ignorance of poiexistance even. Now just enjoy spreading knowledge by demonstrating.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
but poi is everywhere now in the uk festival/club/free party scene. I saw more people (inc 6 year olds) doing dodgy looking 2/3 beat weaves this summer than i saw juggling, staff and breathing put together, by far

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
w00 h00 i'm better than 6 year olds
(dont anyone spoil it by saying they know one who can do 5bt btb weave!)

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I know...this six year old..WHO CAN DO A 5BT!!!! sorry..couldn't help that one...I didn't even kn ow about spinning anything other than a baton until about 8 months ago. NOthing else ever occurred to me.

Always Beautiful

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
don't look at me... I thought it was kung fu untill a couple years ago.... "fisher man paddles to shore" -wong fe hung (Iron Monkey)

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Its because we are all in here, hiding in our lovely home of poi!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
So, time for project "Teach poi to the world!"
Well, I don't really know why poi isn't well known.
If you look closely it everywhere on tv.
After I had learned what poi is, I noticed that poi is something in the back ground. Something lurking in the shadows to come out.

Clips, programs where they send people to abandoned islands, circus etc.
Just look closely

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
Iron Monkey is a cool cool film (the sequel is not )

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
yea, poi is in a ton of movies, even high budget hollywood flicks, you just have to look closely in the background. And they usually only show it for like 3 seconds, and half the time it is blury. Check out hop's page for movies with twirling themes.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/movies.htm

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

endevor100member
7 posts

Posted:
its seems like alot of peoples first experance with poi is from "ravers" (i incude myself in this catagory with pride although not all poiers firt this name) at partys, raves, dances, ect... and usually look down upon the people or too are intimidated by the moves and this prevents them from asking about spinning. i took about 100 glowsticks to a school dance and happened to grab a 100 pack of those crappy red strings that copme with them. i sold more than 50 sticks and almost every person asked for strings more than half the room was covered with people poiing, not a ton of great moves or creativity but it was still great to see.

The stupider they think you are the more surprised they'll be when you kill them

dot.member
64 posts

Posted:
dont u think that if poi was as known as, for example.......riding a bike, and u would have to learn poi spinning at your PE lessons it would become just another ordinary, everyday activity (I can imagine a child shouting at his mother:'no, i wont learn this stupid weave, i hate poi, children laugh at me cuz im not good at it' - ok, a bit exaggerated vision, but still...)

in Poland its still something fresh, many people dont even know that what they play with is called Poi
i know, and im happy with the fact, that there is only a small chance that someone will say: 'oh, i've seen this already on TV, and in my neigbourhood and even my aunt does some poi spinning'

there ate about 10 person from poland registered in HOP. and we are a small comunity. thats nice.

Down from my ceiling
Drips great noise
It drips on my head through a hole in the roof...

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
`Well, let's be honest, we don't want it to become too familiar, it still is an elite form of entertainment and we like it that way.
The class poi idea is nice, verry nice($$), but allso a good way to introduce people to poi.
Ehm, I don't really know what I want to do with this reply, so I just post it, k?

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Would you want to have it known by all? I have had this thought also but then, when I was spinning at parties/discos I have seen how people look at me, many have told me how they like it how I spin and stuff... And it gave me a very satisfactory feeling: o ) The only thing I regret is that I haven't found out about poi earlier.

quote:
in Poland its still something fresh, many people dont even know that what they play with is called Poi

same in slovakia... just keep it that way!
quote:
...and im happy with the fact, that there is only a small chance that someone will say: 'oh, i've seen this already on TV, and in my neigbourhood and even my aunt does some poi spinning'

It's scary but I HAVE heard things like this... But still very few people spin poi.. Mostly it's single staff and some juggling.

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It is in the outside world, and people recognize it readily enough, but few know that it is called poi.

It is on variety shows, in movies, videos. In circus presentations including Cirque du Soliel. More and more people at public festivals are doing it. Rave kids brought glowstringing to the mainstream so that there have been countless magazine articles on it, which then hints at fire.
Somewhere around here I have a collection of new articles from around the country.

And I have heard them referred to as swingy things, bangers, floating things, spinning things...but rarely poi.

As for the growing popularity. I am fine with spinning being popular, and in fact used to teach it. I am not fine with fire being popularized because too many people are simply not safe or thoughtful with it.

It is still localized in popularity though, despite that it is slowly creeping out to the remote areas.

IMHO of course.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
Honestly i dont care that the world doenst know about poi i dont want it to become mainstream do u? then everyones gonna be doing it ike clubbers going raving it doent match or alcohol at an afterhour it shouldnt be that way and hopefully itll stay underground

it must be green

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by joulz:
then everyones gonna be doing it ike clubbers going raving it doent match or alcohol at an afterhour it shouldnt be that way and hopefully itll stay underground

They aleady do. There are bans in alot of clubs on swinging items because of the space they take up and the "dangers" they pose to other party goers. There are alot of threads that mentioned the breakthrough of poi being mainstream and how people got them taken away when walking into clubs.

In fact a few years ago, the Discovery Channel Store sold Zuni Poi in it's toy section.
The fact that there are over 6,000 people on this message board should attest to it being mainstream.

It goes through cycles, and some of us have been here long enough to see the last person who started a thread like this move on to the next fad and not do poi anymore at all. It is one of those subcultural cycles, and in a few years several people on here now will be off doing something else and wonder why they ever wasted time on poi. It's the way of the world. *shrugs*

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
would youse feel very much differently about twiralage if other people had known of poi or hadn't?

more to the point, would youse want to feel differently?

hug a firetoy today!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Maybe I don't have room to speak here since I've only been spinning for about a week now. But personally, I like poi for what it is, its not really about how many people know it, or how popular it is, but its unique, and different, and its something thats specific to the individual. People have their own styles and add their own elements to it. Sure it makes it better to be one of those 'special' things, but its not really needed.. Look at all the people on this board that have been brought together and share such a strong bond by something as simple as a ball and a string. As long as there is enough of a community and following to keep this going and passing onto the next generation I will be happy

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

RoGOLD Member
57 posts

Posted:
Man, it's been awhile since I last posted... I had to put away the fire chains for quite some time due to the fact that a good majority of western Canada was going up in smoke. But now the fires are long gone, and it's getting to damn cold to spin anything lit or unlit, so I'm gonna share what's on my mind.

anyway I'd say not a hell of a lot of people here have seen poi either. I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again... Above the 49th parallel, Poi seems so underground it's like the old saying: "If a tree falls down in the forest, and no one is around, does it make a sound?"

you never want something to be that underground. If there's no one around to experiance this wonderful art, then it may as well not exist at all. Of course there IS the good people in the Cirque du Solie, but many still aren't aware of it all. After a year or so, I've come to learn that the average joe isn't quite in the know about this thing called "Poi", but that's not to say certain kinds of people are. It was mentioned earlier that "raver" types are a group of people more in the know. Another group that might not have been mentioned that's in the know, are new age hippies. Summer Solstis at a beach would be a great place to find these folks. But even still, I'd say staff, and double staff is way more common here than poi, and don't even get me started on meteors, etc...

In the end I'm glad some girl taught me how to spin poi, been a life changing experiance... I'll happily share what knowlege I got now.