Page:
smallrussianmonkeymember
10 posts

Posted:
OK... have only really just started using poi, and i've just about mastered the basic few butterfly moves and I can happily do the 3 beat weave until the cows come home.

I've been trying to to do the 4 (or 5?!) beat weave for about a week and its not working! I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to do, do the strings actually cross and uncross or is that a hyperloop? I'm getting a bit lost and the video isn't very clear, and I couldn't find any old posts that made sense! (i find learning something spinning on the left hand side a lot easier than the right which might be my problem) Any tips or help would be great... biggrin

thank you!

WorlDDestroyeRnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
if you ogt 5 beats waves , you can do 6in putting poi on the last phalanx and cross it , it's not possible in front , only side to side(for me , so you ...)
good luck

IF YOU WANT TO TOUCH THE SKY . . . . . .
FUCK A DUCK AND TRY TO FLY !

philtreSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
yesssss! I finally got it nailed.

I lost.

PerfectlyNormalnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Oh man im struggling with the 4 beat and 5 beat weave too, i can do alot of other moves, just not that one!! Ive been trying for a long time now and i still suck, it all goes tits up and gets wrapped around my hand.

:-(

going to go out the garden and keep doing it.

ill be back

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
when you're wrapping your hands around each other (I find wrist to wrist easiest), if you find they come back and smack you in the head, or wrap around your arms, the problem you're having is leaving your hands in one place for too long. You need to bring your hands across your body faster. That was seriously unhelpful, but it's true. It's all about bringing your hands across your body faster.

Pretty much as soon as your hands lock together, you need to drag your hands across your body, letting the poi spin rather than wrapping your arms.

I hope that's a bit better.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

fire_fairy_liquidBRONZE Member
enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
is it me or does any one else think that HoP needs a better video for the 5 beat weave lessons???

thanks for burning with me

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

yes.. it has been said for years.

Go and make one tongue

I have no camera to do so is my excuse.. ubbangel

gothicmember
29 posts

Posted:
well i will try n explain the 4 and 5 beat weave for u's am struggling on the 3bt btb weave is a pain for me !!

so...
i take it that u's can do the 3 bt weave !!

3 beat wave
each poi is doing 1 full turn on 1 side but 1 poi is following behind the other E.G as the right poi is 3/4's of the way into the turn on the right side the left poi is following its path. as the right poi exits to change to the left side mirror this action on the left side.

4 beat weave
for argument sake ur right hand is above and the left is below.

each poi is doing 1 spin on its OWN side and 2 on its OPPOSITE side within the chase ... E.G. the right poi (the leader) is comin out of the rotation on the right side and the left poi (the chasing 1) is behind it... when u cross ur poi to rotate on the left side the right poi should spin TWICE and the left ONCE...now u will find ur that ur right hand is on the bottom and ur left hand is on the top !! also the LEFT POI IS THE LEADER and the RIGHT IS THE CHASING. just repeat on the right side (the left rotates twice n the right once)

5 bt weave
ok this weave isnt as hard as it looks, begin to do the 4 bt weave...same situation and starting postion as the other weaves above this !! the right poi (the leader) is comin out of the rotation on the right side and the left poi (the chasing 1) is behind it...

SO...THE LEFT POI is doing exactly the same as in 4 beat weave, meaning its doing 2 rotations on the right side!!

THE RIGHT POI instead of 1 rotation in the 4 bt weave its now doins TWO ROTATIONS

keep the number of rotations in ur head ...
left=2
right=2

(How to do it)
the right poi (the leader) is comin out of the rotation on the right side and the left poi (the chasing 1) is behind it... rotate the right hand 1 more time as u do this u will find the poi going around the left arm !!DONT PANIC!! ))..lil TIP..(( make sure the left hand is almost out of rotation (so the left poi is above ur arms). also bend ur left wrist upwards and around the right arm and the right wrist is bent around the left arm as much as u can. now its is time to switch to the other side. to do this rotate the left arm to the right side because the left hand is now the leader and the right is the chasing!!

well i hope the way i explained it will help yea's it sounds right in my head anyways haha :P

l8r's \m/Joe\m/

AvikusGOLD Member
9 posts

Posted:
ok so ... I mastered the 3beat weave on day one of my first poi experience (last june) ... since then the 3beat weave (foward and back and 360 and all) is a joke ... can do it with my hands tied up ... tho I can't do it behind my back but anyway... should I have a problem trying to get 4 and 5 beat weave? or it'S a whole other concept?

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
As with learning any trick, it's about the timing. The hand wrapping shouldn't be too difficult, but it's learning the timings that are hard. When you're learning the basics of poi, the timings are everything. And they're bloody hard!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
humm until I just made a vid of myself I have always called this a 4 beat redface but I realize the error of my ways smile sorry to all who I have convinced to my way of thinking I was wrong biggrin

ps vid link on the way you will just have to ignore the incorrect title wink

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Teppicnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
as far as i was always concerned a 4 beat feels like going from 3 on one side to 5 on the other then3 on the other again, at least that i find produces 4 beats on each side...

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
5 beat weave (vid clip)

humm until I just made a vid of myself I have always called this a 4 beat but I realize the error of my ways sorry to all who I have convinced to my way of thinking I was wrong

so This is a small vid of me doing the 5 beat weave. It’s a bit messy but you can see what I'm doing I hope it helps any one who is trying o learn it.

Notice each poi dose 5 beets 2 on one side 3 on the other.

juggle beats of five you say juggle

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
cool vid.

I'm still struggling to keep my 5bt weaves in perfect split time. the last beat on my right hand side normally pushes the poi into 1/4 time so I guess I just need more practice.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you want to play with offset 2 bt weaves more mr finalstep - they will help your timing issues no end smile

great video by the way mint sauce - i forsee it will be referred to many times...

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Thumb be rock?

confused

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
noooo silly its a toe!! or very hairy thumb

but blatently a toeeee! like, toby rocks!!

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
how about

finger wasp pebbles

that would be a coolname

hi im finger wasp pebbles. lol lol lol ubbrollsmile

melonBRONZE Member
Inept Cock
162 posts

Posted:
im workin on the 5 beat weave, over the arm diablo and behind the back weave, tis not goin too good

im alan partridge........AHA!

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
btb foward and reverse five beat. ick.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

spanglenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
mint sauce... your vid did it for me... i watched it a bunch (for about a week:) and now i can do it! ....

what worked for me: is copying the hand movements without the poi first.... and then adding the poi later ... it was sloppy and the poi twisted at first, but then i just got used to switching my hands back and forth like in your video... and then i read the h.o.p. directions again... and eventually it clicked

now i cant imagine trying it in reverse.....

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
when you do it in reverse... keep your hands next to your face so the poi ends won't hit you there. and be prepared to move your shoulders alot. I got the reverse 4 almost immediately. the reverse 6 came next. then the reverse 5. it took me about 2 months of beating the crap out of myself to get the reverse 5 beat weave.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

Page: