Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > giant butterfly with bells on and more.

Login/Join to Participate

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
okay, this is a work in progress, hope you like it/can help me with it/or laugh at it.

you know the picture that won the photo comp? taken and entered by flynt? well its a picture of me doing a real simple trick i like to call giant butterfly with bells on.

all it is, is a reverse butterfly in front of you. do a giant, but instead of taking the poi in a giant cirle, i take them up then as i start the down wards swing of the giant butterfly, i use their momentum to spin in circles behind my back as they go down. since there momentum isnt directly shooting down anymore, you can take it rather slow and get lots of circle is as you move them down. after a certain point, i just incorporate them back into reverse butterfly.

hard to explain, simple to do. still with me??

so im trying to add annother dimension to it, and instead of going back into reverse butterfly, i leave my hands behind my body and go into btb reverse butterfly. that, i can do okay, but man this is hard to explain!

now your in btb butterfly. i bend over a fair bit and take my hands upwards and out, just like the giant butterfly wwith bells on, but in reverse, after a certain point i can stand up straight with my hands above my head and out, still spining in circles. the bit i havent got yet, mainly cause its pissing down outside, is how to bring your hand back into a butterfly infront of you from the bit that im up to, with them up and out above my head.

phew.

to simplify it, its giant butterfly, with swirly circles going down, btb, swirly circles going up, then back to a normal butterfly..

i just re read my discription. i understood my self kinda, but can you?

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Think so sparx, I'll give it a try after this passing shower.

I liked the picture, and I love spirograph. I just posted a inward version of the butterfly in the club thread; move 3, under cross training. C wot ya reckon

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
No probs sparx. I was wondering how you did that one. I've always had trouble taking the reverse butterfly overhead because I usually end up in a horizontal, scissors like move.

When you get to the bottom just go btb, and run it up again, over the head and down. as. Opens up lot's a possibilities.

Nothing like simple moves, heheheh

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
thanks Stone!

still havent had a chance to finish it off yet, but im really glad it works from start to finish, your right it is a simple trick, but i think it will look great when finished.

do you call little tricks like this a name? what do you think this one should be called?

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Sparx mate, imho calling something a simple trick is not derogatory remark, often the best tricks are simple. The world is made up of little tricks. And as you said "its a picture of me doing a real simple trick."

Names, I've given up on names. Hey, it's your trick, you thought it up, you name it

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
There's like a bazillion things you can do from there (none of which I can do but perhaps you can )

You can butterfly in any of the orientations (left side alternating front and back or right side or above the head)... You're perfectly oriented to start some thread the needle stuff which changes the look quite a bit... Sometimes, if a trick looks really good, you may want to emphasise it by doing a stall afterwards, then busting into something completely different.

Something that's sure to impress a virgin fire crowd is dropping to the knees, perhaps in butterfly. Turn it into an "Atom" on your knees (which is just a butterfly at 90 degrees) and lie on your back or knees. I get way too much props for that extremely easy move.

Good luck!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
the atom--i call that one 'the rings of saturn', i think i like both names.

simple trick simple tricks, i like em.

i think hard moves (ones that take awhile to learn, are difficult, but arnt neccessarily better looking than simpler version. btb weave.....) impress fellow fire folk, but as NYC stated, simple ones impress the rest the best.

well, i do dub the double swirly circle move, the pig tail combo. no thats dumb, the elephant man. no also stupid. i do dub the double swirly circle move, the double swirly circle move.

their we go.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
wahoo - double swirly circle move

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
dunno..... i kinda liked "giant butterfly with bells on"

i just like bells `

Currently on the right side up of the world.