Forums > Social Chat > Mistress Aurora's New Friend!

Login/Join to Participate

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Today we were walking back from lunch and Mistress Aurora saw something cute on the sidewalk and picked him up so I could take his picture. Can anyone identify this particular species? He's cute!

[image]https://photos.digital-psyche.com/dbimage.php?dbimg=169[/image]

Credit for the catch goes to her, of course

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i reckon it might be this one
there are lots of similarities between various body parts..
https://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/ndmoths/names/7775.htm

but as you can see from that page there are at least 2 other similar species which look very similar as well

i think you'd need an expert to tell the difference

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
That's a tomato hawk all right. The family is called sphinx moths. Most gardeners and famers would step on it because it is so destructive to crops. It had probably just hatched as the caterpiller forms its pupa on the ground.
If there is a blooming jasmine handy, you could put it on it and see if it wants to feed.
I'd probably squish its larvae if I found them on my romas, but I also raise butterflies as part of my garden:
https://www.rain.org/~philfear/cgarden.html
so I rather conflicted on the issue.
Props for having compassion for any creature, great or small.

peace,
Maximus Ego

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Bunch of silly city folk.

we get these ones all the time

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is it some kind of duck?

Meh

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
im not sure what to be more worried about th asizes of tha hands, or the size of that massive, KILLER MOTH!

that thing was huge, no wonder you had to use both hainds to pick it up! GEEZS!

Step (el-nombrie)

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
ummm, where I come from, those things arn't cute, they're dead.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I loved reading some of yalls responses to the moth. Dio and I sent the pic to the campus entymology(sp) dept. to see if they could identify it.

It looked like it was getting ready to die or something. Of course it is starting to get cooler here.

I thought it was very beautiful though!

I don't have any tomatoes so I have no worries about them destroying my crops

I like all creatures great and small. Thank God I'm not a girly girl

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Back when I lived in Surfer's there was an invasion of what I think were called Vogon moths. The TV was extolling their virtues as low-fat potato chip alternatives (really!). The joys of Queensland local programming.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

1,032 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Eera:
The TV was extolling their virtues as low-fat potato chip alternatives (really!). The joys of Queensland local programming.
Ewww!

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I think you mean bogon moths

Weren't the Vogons the dudes who destoyed the earth to put in a superhighways? The ones with the pangalacticgargleblasters, or was it their singing that was truly horrible

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
man i totaly found one of those in my friends garage and was like HOLY CRAP IT MOTHRA! we had a good laugh about it and then went back to fixing our video game...but then it started to freak me out i put a bucket over it..few days later i remembed it and took the bucket off...i think it was still alive and i put it out into his flowers.............hehe i hope no one has tomatoes around his house.....oh yea...HI Mistress Aurora!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I do indeed mean bogon moths. I seem to recall it was Vogon poetry that was truely terrible, though I suspect it is better than my brother's.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
my initial response was a bogon moth too, howwver i dont know anything about moths, so if i see a bit moth i just guess its a bogong.

i remember when i was on cub camp; one of the scout girls was scared of the bogong moths, so she locked herself in her room BIG MISTAKE! there was a hole in the door big enough for all the boys and the cub girls to push moths through! she ran around screaming and we leant against the door so she couldnt open it!

how cruel of us but so funny!!!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

1,032 posts

Posted:
quote:
i remember when i was on cub camp; one of the scout girls was scared of the bogong moths, so she locked herself in her room BIG MISTAKE! there was a hole in the door big enough for all the boys and the cub girls to push moths through! she ran around screaming and we leant against the door so she couldnt open it!

That is sad and yes so funny!

1,032 posts

Posted:
Got an email back from the entomology professor here on campus as to what species that moth is.

He said he believes it to be a tobacco hornworm moth. The adults are called hummingbird or sphinx moths. He says that they are quite common especially at dusk or dawn feeding on nectar producing flowers.

Still a big arse moth!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
The new subset of Linnaean classification: Phylum; class; order; family; genera; species; big-assed-ness.