Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
ok so i've read the move listed notcoleman3 and notcoleman5 multiple times but have yet to be able to get a definition i can make sense of.

From what I gather its a 5beat weave with an inside or inversion or something?

anyone wanna give a real definition or better yet a video?

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Read 'Different cross-over's' thread,
then second version.

watch the vidz,

POI THEO(R)IST

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i'll try to do a video soon smile

new toy coming smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Imbalance Notcoleman3 quick description: Take a 3 beat weave. Note each poi does 2 circles on the opposite side and 1 on the same side.

Do the circle on the same side in between your arms in buzzsaw plane. Practise starting from a 3bt, and focus on your right hand. Do the circle on your right in buzzsaw plane. Then swap to your left hand, and do the same. Then put them together. biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
ok, so its a 3bt with an inversion... that i can work with, thanks!

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
I thought the inverted 3-beat and the notcoleman were slightly different? Don't the poi always stay on one side of your arm in the notcoleman or summat?

Anybody help? rolleyes

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Not quite Mr joe, in a notcoleman each poi cross under your arm as they go through the inversion but dont actually cross to the other side of your body.

A notcolman is 1 of the 3 different inversions you can do from a 3beat weave. The notcoleman being the upswing of the hand underneath inverting. The others are: wrong weave - down swing of hand on top inverts and the barrel roll where they both invert.

I found the easiest way of learning a notcoleman was to cross arms and spin each poi in wheel plane (not in weave, just spinning with your arms crossed) then take the hand underneath through the space between your arms and chest so it becomes the hand on top. Repeat.

"Don't do it naked!"

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
man, freaked me out for a second there reading your post sandy... my real name's Joe so thought you were talking to me for a moment (some coworkers call me Mr. Joe...) was about to ask how the heck you knew that and were you stalking me lol.

Been working on the notcoleman a bit, pretty sure i have the move understood in the ole brain, can do one hand of it but putting them together not working out yet... gonna try some more and see what happens. I keep finding myself doing a full beat of buzzsaw by accident.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
well, got the forwards notcoleman3. once i got it i nearly smacked myself and wondered how the heck i didn't think of doing that before! Tell ya what, its been quite some time since i've really learned a "new" move. Maybe i haven't been spidering the forums much or maybe i've been drilling old moves too much. But its been a good long time since i've learned something new. Hmm, that sounds a bit egotistical, don't mean it to be, just mean I've spent a lot of time learning a wide variety of moves and then discovering their variations. Haven't seen a move I haven't done before (cleanly or not) in a long time. Almost forgot the what it feels like when you realize you just learned something and got it clean.

So, now off to clean up the reverse version and work on the turn. Then to force my body to do the 5bt version.

On a side note, was out at the Rennasiance (spelled that wrong i know) festival this past weekend and talking to a guy out there who showed me a clean version of something i've sorta been discovering/trying on my own. Hybrid huggie lockout/reels/weaves and butterflys (or ttn or whatever it most closely fits..) so thats on my list to get down.

You know, i constantly tell people that Poi is about burning moves into muscle memory and learning new habits... then breaking those habits and learning new (often somewhat contradictory) ones... time I started taking my own advice again!

Thanks for the help guys!

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Nice one Imbalance. If you've got the notcoleman3, try turning it into an atomic weave, its basically the same but with the poi spinning in atomics (at 90 degrees to each other) The wrong weave works in atomic too, along with spiders and a double inversion where you do a notcolman and a wrong weave at the same time (one of my favourites).

"Don't do it naked!"

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
wrong weave? Spiders? first time i've heard those terms, maybe i know them by a different name. I've actually been doing atomic weaves for some time which probably helped a lot in picking up the notcoleman.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Spiders are hugs or crossers moved down to your wrists. So the poi do the same motion but with your arms straight and crossed at the wrists. You can also add extra beats on both sides by turning. Look really cool if you stand facing forward and move your arms from extreem left to extreem right (will be a 4 beat move)

Wrong weave is like a notcolman but the hand on top inverts from top to bottom. So from forward weave going right to left, your right hand goes over your left and instead of going over, under, out it goes over, inverts to under and out. You need to turn briefly into backwards weave to get the inversion and then straight back to forwards weave. I think wibble matt calls them downswing inversions, dont know any other name for them.

"Don't do it naked!"

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I finally got the notcoleman3. smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Hey Imbalance, If you were out at the Renfest with MTBeer at the Sphereplay booth, then that guy doing that thing was me. I haven't been active on HoP for years and just happened to check in on a whim. If you come out again, or better yet if we can get together during the week some time I can cover most of Rev's manifesto with you and variations that I have played with, including "notcolman" and "wrong weave" flowers, BF inversion flowers and various atomic and plane bending goodies.

Incidentally, I've been spending most of my time on tribe lately, and you guys should probably check out my thread in the techpoi tribe here:

https://techpoi.tribe.net/thread/7d1509cc...53-7a8a0248fd00

I have simulations I rendered in 3D studio MAX on youtube here:

I've been playing with spinning a "Cat Eye" (Arash'ese), which is a 1-beat antispin... your hand makes a unit circle (the smallest circle the poi body can make, diameter=the poi length ie an isolation, so the radius=1 unit= half the poi body), the center of the poi moves along a linear path 4 units long and the head makes an ellipse that is 6 units on the long axis and 2 units on the short axis. Because your hand makes the same path as an isolation, this means you can do all the possible same and opposite spin hybrids as 1-beats with out going poly-rhythmic. This also turns into the poi version of staff trammels if you move your hand linearly rather than spin the unit circle.

If you are wondering what the "Alien Code" is the Tribe thread is where I'm fleshing that out. Once I have it a little more refined, I'll cross post to HoP as well.

Hit me up on tribe, that is the best way to get in touch,

-Alien Jon
EDITED_BY: AlienJon (1192513385)

+Alien Jon

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
that's wicked, jon.

ta

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Managed 8 beats of one-handed hyperloop, not quite flowered though (One day...)

Plus one handed hyperloop, to release, with whip catch back into one-handed hyperloop...

Not with anything resembling consistency mind you.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
ok, one handed hyperloop confuses me.

is it a butterfly hyperloop, then put both poi handles in one hand, and spin them around, not quite like a madman?

Am I close? Because if I am, that's EASY.

If I'm wrong, how the [censored] do you get the poi to entangle when they're being held in the same hand? Let alone go through buzzsaw plane... (I know, I know, A hyperloop doesn't *have* to go through buzzsaw plane, but to me they do tongue )

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Enter like normal same-direction hyperloop, let go when they tangle (like suicide air-wrap), bring across body and where it would normally untangle and fly off into the sunset, loop the handle-end of the poi back around and carry it across to the starting side. Again here it will want to release, or you can loop again and carry back across.

The flower part is a bitch as you're moving it in a circle whilst still carrying it side-to-side. I'm not sure it can even be done, but it'd look sweet.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

RicheeIImember
37 posts

Posted:
Double catch freehand included:

(circling)

-chest circling

-BTH circling

-BTL circling

-Horizontal around the head circling

(different classsic)

-Barell rolling

-Corkscrews!

(Tracing)

-head-chest figure eight contact traces

-leg contact tracing

-contact waistwraping

-BTL "negative" traces

-Straight arm backtraces

(traps)

-Elbow "static" trap buzzsaw pass

(double stops)

-Horizontal straight arm

-Elbow vertical

Some body poping

and basic foot work.

light,

BINARY DIVISION

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Hey if I would understand more then 2 names of the trick you named here above I would be proud of myself, however I don`t even recognize 2 of them *embaressed* What kind of spinner am I biggrin
But hey, im happy and im spinning that`s whats couns, isn`t wink

Take care and keep up the wicked tings that you are doing!

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ditto wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Oh, thank goodness. I was thinking there was something wrong with me. wink

anywho. I was practicing some old inversions and all of a sudden straightjackets clicked and I was entering and spinning them easy as pie. Now to clean them up and figure out some exit strategies and transitions.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Atomic hybrid wrong weave and isolated atomic split time b/f flower (or swishy swishy wink) the isolted atomic swishy can be done in a fountain too smile

"Don't do it naked!"

RicheeIImember
37 posts

Posted:
I've got a combo:

Basic base: 3B backward weave

Advanced base: Backward Inswings

Inswing || Inswing

or deper:

Inswing <-> Cross-over(LR) <-> Inswing

Combo:

Inswing | Introversion || Inswing | Introversion

or deeper:

Inswing <-> cross-over (R) <->Notcoleman3 <-> Inswing <-> cross-over (LR) <-> Inswing <-> cross-over (L) <-> Notcoleman3 <-> Inswing

---------------------------------

Now, at one side insted of finishing the single

inswing routine, the lead Poi follow back to

notcole3 and another inswing to repeatable

combo routine.

This can be mirrored to the other side via

weave cross-over wheel transition into the

full move.

I wish I had a cam,

BINARY DIVISION

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
BLuecat came to visit at the weekend.

I learnt lots of Corners.
and now I also understand the wrong weave. can almost do it, but not solid enough to say nailed.
Quarter time is fun too. but only in a buzzsaw at the moment.

Right angles is where it's at.

Be Water My Friend.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Richee: when you say inswing, i think you are talking about the same move i call wrong weave? it inverts from the top of the outswing?
If thats the case i think i do the combo/move you just described, do you mean both poi invert/inswing at the same time? a variation of atomic weave? i pinched it from the Fens at Play.

"Don't do it naked!"

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Quarter Time Airwrap cool

Enter like a normal airwrap in wall plane, but stall and float into it, so that the poi create a right angle, with the two poi heads making the corner. The stalling puts you automatically into quarter time, or at least, it seems to for me. may be wrong on this detail though.

With the poi that's stalling down, tangle the two heads as you would an airwrap. once they're tangled, you can move the tangle point (nexus, is that right?) up to the diagonal opposite corner of a box.

So you kind of get a square shape made with the poi, but with an airwrap inside... Haven't managed up to down, yet, only down to up...

Be Water My Friend.

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I'v figured out BTB fountains but they still need some tidying up

Reverse hyperloops and a few different flower arrangments are also new and messy additions to my repotoire

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I got a new move down realy quickly today.
Buzzsaw Flowers
I honestly thought that they would be difficult but it seams that all of the flowers practice that I've been doing lately has had some spill over effect (not that I'm gonna complain)

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Antispin Butterfly (not flowers)

1 beat antispin is cool. Now if I could just get it split time, I'd be mega happy.

Be Water My Friend.

Page: ...