Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Do you have an addictive personality?
If so, how does it come out?
How do you control it, if you do at all?

I have a terribly addictive personality. I've known it since I was little. When I start something "new", I become obsessed with it and find it hard to walk away. It used to be to the point of almost tunnel vision obsession but I have learned, thanks to Noah (kids don't wait) to really keep it in check. When I was younger I did express it in unhealthy ways. I have always fought to stay away from things that I know will be permanently damaging, have addictive properties/reactions (cigarettes, alcohol, etc.) and now I limit my times. For example, when I practice something I am really into, I limit my time and *really* stick to it instead of being lost in it. I read books but will take time between them instead of ignoring the world and just devouring book after book. I will also do things that are not in anyway reactive like listen to a song over and over (when I am alone, so I don't drive others nuts). I also will only play games with a timely end. Video games are like crack so I avoid those, though I don't find them particularly fascinating, but I don't seek one out that I might either. I do play solitaire, that has a clear end. I'll play it until I win, and once I win, put it down.

I'm curious about how bad it is for others and how you handle/express it.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i try to direct it at my study although i easily get distracted into things that have feedback

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
I enjoy games, and really get into them and end up always winning them.

There were a lot of collectable card games, and other collectable games I had as a kid that I really got addicted to.

Even online games, I really get into them, playing them constantly... until I get up to a part/level I cant get past, in which case I give it a break and find something else.

I also find game arcades a lot of fun, the only thing that stops me being there 24/7 is a) we dont have good ones at home (currently on holidays down in Brissy atm) and b) I limit the cash I have on hand.. lol Luckily, there havent been any arcades that have an ATM in them. ubblol

If I find a good book I like, I find it very hard to put it down. It'll always be "one more page" "one more chapter", lol. Until Im forced to put it down due to pure exhaustion, or simply falling asleep.

I always have to keep myself amused, or find things to do, if not, then I get addicted to a sleep-work-sleep schedule (or even just straight sleep). Probably, I get addicted to dreaming as well and sometimes I dont want to wake up. But if I have enough to do in my day, to get me out of bed (and the house!)and keep me amused, then I find other activities to enjoy.

It varies I guess, lol.

~ Neser

Fuel your fascination, burn your desire and dance with flames

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
*Ahem. I'm Sam, and I'm addicted to beer, smoking, and Poi. I'm just taking one day at a time.... *

Interesting thread! I have a fairly addictive personality, it used to be videogames when I was younger (I still play a fair amount to be honest), but now I try and get obsessed with stuff that may have a positive impact rather than passive or negative things. The most obvious is spinning, cause the benefits are fairly obvious to anyone reading this! Also making music, which I find a fantastic creative outlet. I get REAL nerdy about stuff though, as anyone who's talked spinning with me at Spitz will testify!

That said, I still have issues with other less positive vices, mostly drinking and smoking. I like boozing a bit too much, and it's really hard to control sometimes. If other people around me are doing it, I find it next to impossible to say no, which is a nightmare as far as smoking goes. I've managed to stop a fair few times, but it's not starting again that I'm no good at. rolleyes

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
*raises hand*

hi,my names allan and doctors would say i'm and alcoholic.........seeing as i can consume the weekly recomended intakein one night (as can most people) ubblol

i do have an addictive personality, the first time i try something be it booze, drugs, hobbies you name it, i think it's the best thing ever discovered.

so........i've had a cocain addition, an addiction to ecstasy both of which i HAVE overcome (this was 5 years ago)

booze and tabacco is a little harder for me to aviod but i'm slowly cutting back and trying to aviod.

i know it's the wrong thing to say but i find that if i smoke canabis i tend not to smoke or drink, but it's not much help substituting one thing for another.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Neser, I am the same way with a book..."one more page, one more chapter" sounds all too familiar.
My recent addiction was painting. I had originally 20 cards I needed to paint, but I didn't want to stop so I painted until I nearly feel asleep in them and ended up with about 40 cards. Not a bad thing but I spent *hours* at it (while the guys were playing video games actually, which made me feel pretty good. lol)

I hadn't thought about it before but you are right about getting addicted to a schedule or a daily pattern. I do. If I stay home too much, I get to the point where I don't want to leave (I can find tonnes to do here). I make myself leave so that I don't develope anxiety over it, because that is what happened to my mom. Interesting.

Sambo, too bad you can't get addicted to stopping. wink lol

ravehead, congrats and the 5 years. I substitute stuff, mine is a bit different as it is not a "chemical" for a "chemical". I've known people who've kicked such habits going to NA and AA only to become addicted to the meetings and going to those 10x or more in a week.

So, do you think we are all born this way and that things like smoking and drinking just play up the addictive personalities, or do you think, as many do, that there are addictive qualities that snag in otherwise non-addiction prone people?

Obviously, I was born like this....nuerotic that is. wink lol

Pele

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
im sim and im addicted to experience

over the years this has taken many forms,

when i lived at home with parents and couldnt get out much due to opressive regimes it exercised itself through gaming and books/writing. being able to goto diff places without leaving my house helped me to get thro things

i then moved to uni where it was a new world for me, then going out and being around ppl and meeting new ppl became the addiction (at this point i only ever occasionally smoked weed)

i then discovered various intoxicants (inc alcohol) this combined with my addiction to meet and be with people resulted in alot of going out, parties/raves/gigs/fests

now, i still have intoxicants from time to time (alcohol being the worst!) but dont feel the same need for them.

i think playing is now my real vice, i jus get obssessively geeky bout it all, i love it, and this addiction as oppose to substances has a positive effect on my body which is def a good thing

ravehead---if u read one of the extracts in dope stories,theres an indian doctor in it, who has this theory that u can never jus withdraw from an addiction,u always have to substitute it,ill see if i can find it for u

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I'm Jo and the only thing I am addicted to is tea.
I sometimes wish I could get obsessed with stuff but I lose interest far too quickly and move on to the next thing. Hence why I know a little about a lot of things, but I'm not good at any of them!! ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i've had benign and malignant addictions
mostly the good ones i just let it run it's course
the bad ones i remove from my realm of existence and depending on what they are they stay gone or come back in minimal amounts when i know i can handle them
i stopped having sex for 2yrs, now i can have relatively normal "relationships"
i stopped drinking until recently, and the other week i made it just having one glass of wine...not really interested in drinking...it has destroyed my stomach lining
i've stopped cocaine now for about 40 days...still think about it but avoid the old "friends" and stay out of old neighborhoods

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
ever since i was little i have always had to have "some thing" in my life. i would love something some one say obsess over anything and i would put all my effort time and attention into it. i would talk about it 24/7. now my girlfriend hates it as the something has been poi and circus for the last 2 years. i get very competitive and have to progress fast or i get angry. now I'm happy with where i am at but i still talk about and do it every single day

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
To be honest, I dont think I have an addictive personality. umm
Others may disagree though...

I havent had anything to smoke for two weeks now and havent really wanted to either. Well, Ive wanted to out of boredom, but I havent had any cravings or withdrawl symptoms which is nice.

I think stopping an addiction is really to do with otherwise occupying yourself. If you keep your mind busy, it doesnt have time to think about what its not getting.

Then again, I also think people might be "addicted" to stuff as a placebo. People and the media (for example) tell us how drugs are all terribly addictive, and because we are told it so often as children at school, and hear it regularly(??) on TV/ radio, we believe it. I smoked weed and tobacco everyday (pretty much) solidly for 5 years and have been able to shrug it off. Other than getting a little grouchy for the first 2-3 days, I havent had any problems.

That might just be me though. confused

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Boredom is the thing that gets me too.

Similar in fact to the things that Jon describes above.

After having hypnotherapy to stop smoking, I have learnt that Nothing should be addictive. I lived without it once, i can do it again. It took the hypnotherapy for me to see that though.

When I'm bored, I smoke pot. When I have a different distraction (EG my girly, a new trick, food, chatting etc), pot doesn't even enter my mind. Even when I have no other distractions, if I feel that yes, I do something too often, i stop it dead. There's no need.

I smoked a cigarette today, not because i felt I had to, but because it was there. They are left over from when I last had some pot. it was something to do. I am 100% certain, that if they weren't there, I wouldn't have even thought about lighting one, or indeed wanting one. I have no Pot at the moment, and haven't had for a few days. I have no Cravings for it. I have cravings for something to do to pass the time. So, i sat down and worked out some new four ball contact transitions. I feel very fulfilled. and tired.

I agree with Jon's statement about how we are told so often about things being addictive, that we believe it. I think we just need to reprogram ourselves to believe the opposite. My hypnotherapist told me: there's a part of your brain that says to you: Smoke, You NEED to. All I'm going to do, is tell your subconcious mind not to believe it. By jove, it worked.

Now, I am well aware that many can now say to me that I'm kidding myself, that I'm really addicted, and I just can't admit it. I can also turn around to those same people and say, You're kidding YOURself. Addiction is all in the mind. therefore, it doesn't exist...

Wow... That was very Zen... meditate

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The thing with "substances" is that alot of them are not actually chemically addictive (some are but generally not weed or alcohol) the effects of it are what is addictive. And then the motions of it, if you've ever seen a freshly stopped smoker who puts their hands to their mouth alot or eats alot...it's a very subconcious, habitual gesture.
Just like with games, we like to win.

True addictive behaviour goes beyond external chemicals intake and is more an internal need thing. I *have* to finish that book, to expound on something mentioned earlier. I dunno how to describe it.
Chemicals are a...a... medium for it, like oils vs. water colors.. I think.
shrug

Pele

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Three words:

World of Warcraft.

That's why I haven't been on HoP for a while... redface

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

The thing with "substances" is that a lot of them are not actually chemically addictive (some are but generally not weed or alcohol)

Alcohol not addictive!?!? Not to everyone, no. Not everyone is diabetic either. Or has cancer. Meanwhile, the difference between the experience of an alcoholic and not being able to stop reading a book ...it isn't even feasible to use the same word. 'Addicted' to AA meetings. No, people. Trying to survive an addiction, that's what 10 meetings a week is about. How do you control your addictive personality? Benign addictions that run their course? ubblol Sheesh.

'Addiction' what an easy word to throw around. What a hard word to live. Or live with. Or die from. My mother was an alcoholic. I like to read books. Sometimes I stay up late to do so. No comparison at all. One month ago my lover died. of his addictions. so I am a bit raw about shallow discussions of this topic right now. Go read some books. Or better still if you think you are really an addict, join AA or NA and learn something about it.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
offtopic
Doc.. please tell me you are on an EU server!! biggrin
What lvl you at? wink
offtopic

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
newgabe, addictions aren't all dangerous and people really do have addictive personalities without being involved in dangerous stuff. It is not a word being thrown around, it is something that is very real and even "benign" addictions can have a life effect. Not all run a course, which is why in therapy you are taught to choose ones that will. Read my initial post, that is what it is all about.

Those that are not as harmless can play into other disorders such as anxiety disorder (as in the case of my mother), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and other such things. My bulemia was due in part to my personality draws and I did receive care for it, which is how I know these things.

I have many alcoholics in my family. My sons spermdonor was an alcoholic and drug addict. I also know there is nothing chemically in it that your body becomes addicted to, that it is an emotional and psychological addiction...as most are. There are drugs in which a chemical bond in the body is made and your body does need it, but alcohol is not one of them. Which is why more people who drink are not alcoholics, they don't have that psychological/emotional bond with it. I have an addictive personality. I avoid things like alcohol, drugs and cigarettes knowing this and in turn, substitute other things that have an end.

I am sorry for your losses but addictions are not at all the sole realm of alcohol and drugs, not in the least, and can be just as detrimental to a life.

I've known of a gambler (well, she is the aunt of a friend) who lost *everything* from her addiction to gambling. She literally couldn't stop.

I knew a girl with a food addiction. When she hit 400lbs and had surgery that addiction turned to shopping and she ended up bankrupt, without her husband and living back at home with nothing. My understanding, this one is not uncommon. She's back eating now.

My old room mate who went to the 10 AA/NA's, it wasn't to cope. He wasn't new to them and he is the one who told me he was addicted to them. I actually do know what I was saying here.

What is it with men and video games? lol Just make sure you get to work on time! wink
EDITED_BY: Pele (1171383059)

Pele

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

I also know there is nothing chemically in it that your body becomes addicted to, that it is an emotional and psychological addiction...as most are. There are drugs in which a chemical bond in the body is made and your body does need it, but alcohol is not one of them

Pele, alcohol DOES cause a physical addiction - in fact, every time you have a hangover you are getting over a mini-addiction, ie: you are in withdrawal to some extent.

Alcoholics have such terrible physical withdrawal symptoms that, if they stop drinking alcohol cold-turkey, they can die. Alcohol withdrawal can cause cardiac arrythmias (which can be fatal), delirium tremens (awful hallucinations, tremors,etc - this can be fatal in 5 to 15% of cases) severe dehydration, and a whole host of other medical problems.

Yes, it also causes psychological addiction, which is very important, but the physical aspects should not be ignored... this can be fatal

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
the psychological addiction in my view is "dependancy" the effects are the inability to "function" without etc

this is why i don't class myself as "alcoholic" i can take it or leave it but when i do drink i don't stop for three or four days ubblol

i have had encounters with true "alcoholics" and tiny pixie is quite right, the physical affects of the drink causes them to "rattle" they shake uncontrollably and their prime thought is where to get more booze.

i can admit i've had a colourfull past, i've met people with lots of different types of addictions, my mother is a psycholagist that has done work in the past that involves addicts, heroine, alcohol, gambling and you hears some horror storeys i can tell theee wink

i feel lucky i can realise if i'm obsessing about something, when i was taking cocain i was doing £200 worth in 2 nights EVERY weekend...........i stopped then got onto anphetamines.............stopped that then went onto pills (ecstacy) 3 years later i stopped that.

to be honest i preffer ketamine and 2cb and i'm not ashamed to admit it publicly. for one thing you don't turn into some sweaty munter that wants to hug everyone in site and the after effects are not as harsh, but like i said it's not often i actually do take either substance unless i go out to a free party.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There is a difference between ADDICTION and DEPENDENCE.

One may be addicted to a thing without being dependent on it and dependent on a thing without being addicted to it.

An addiction is created by a psychological reward mechanism that comes from whatever activity is in question, be it smoking a bong, shooting up, or playing a video game. Whatever the addiction, shopping, sex, drugs, gambling, the idea is that the addict has a set and setting based on the rewarding feeling felt from engaging in the addictive behavior. The addict is compelled to do the behavior. Show an addict a line of coke and he'll start to salivate and there will be other physiological responses. Even if he's been clean for 10 years.

Dependence is almost always with a drug. Patients who have been sedated for a long time in the ICU often become dependent on narcotics and benzodiazepines. But they are NOT addicted. If you gently wean these people off their narcotics and benzodiazepines, the dependence is gone. Take a former dependent and show her a vial of morphine and ask if she wants some and if she was never an addict she'll say "Nope! Don't need it. I'm not in pain."

Some substances cause both an addiction and a dependence. Cigarettes, heroin, and alcohol are all common examples. Coffee is usually more of a dependence than an addiction, and marijuana and cocaine are usually more addiction than dependence. As a hint, if it's got withdrawal symptoms, it's a dependence.

There are substances that will reliably cause dependence in almost all users if used long enough. Nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, and opioids will cause dependence in virtually ALL users if they use (or are administered) enough for long enough. On the other hand, there is no one substance that is more likely to cause addiction than another. It depends on the user.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks so much for that Mike, you were able to say what I could not figure out how to and I appreciate it very much.

My mother was horrible with her coffee. A 12 cup pot between 6am and 10 am, everyday, without fail. When she had to stop it was insane. We all got up in the morning trying to beat each other out the door. The last one in the house was the one who caught the brunt of her bad mood. I always felt bad for her shakes, the headaches, all of that but her mood...eek! I was 10 or 11 when she was made to stop, and I remember it very vividly. I drink herbal tea thanks to her! lol

Pele

3,556 posts

Posted:
i don't know if alcohol is a physical addiction but it does have physical withdrawal symptoms (though i thought hangovers were more of a dehydration thing but i guess not hair of the dog and all that)
after have two gin and tonics or 3 beers, i get the shakes if i stop
also remember that AA and the other *A programs are just one type of recovery group, there are other programs and other ways into recovery
AA wasn't for me and for the most part, i'm doing ok, relapsed now and then, but it was friends and pscyhs that helped me through
*A programs are just the most well known, ironically

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
faith, all addictions come with withdrawl symptoms of different forms. I was always taught hangovers are dehydration due to the diuretic nature of the beast. shrug

Mike explained it really well.

Do you do anything else to take the place of alcohol?

(btw, good for you!)

Pele

3,556 posts

Posted:
well, there was that whole crack thing...

now i stick to tea coffee and hot chocolate
i still drink but i better have a damn good urge or reason...the superbowl and cause everyone else does is not good enough, but a long week and desperate housewives allows for a glass of wine smile

Faith

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I've managed 270 hours of playing BF2 since October. I continue to play because my contribution is valued by the other players on my team, and I've still got a fair bit of improvement to do. IRL I don't feel appreciated for who I am and what I do, so I don't feel motivated to do anything.

Is it an addiction? No, because if there's something else someone wants me to do with my skills, that comes first.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I'm an addict to life smile

I can get very bogged down by some stuff, usually activities like gaming, reading and drawing. I've made a point of dragging myself away from some of the ones that make me uber antisocial.... short bursts only.... (*cough* Guild Wars)

Everything in moderation even moderation itself

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

I've managed 270 hours of playing BF2 since October. I continue to play because my contribution is valued by the other players on my team, and I've still got a fair bit of improvement to do. IRL I don't feel appreciated for who I am and what I do, so I don't feel motivated to do anything.

Is it an addiction? No, because if there's something else someone wants me to do with my skills, that comes first.

That's a good outlook on it.
Ummmm....what's BF2? redface

faith, it's good that you can find that balance and that determination of what is a good reason for you. One glass of red wine lays me out (allergic to tannens and sulfides) so I try to not even go down that road...unless I'm with someone special. wink ubblol

Pele

3,556 posts

Posted:
white wine...chardonnay smile

very addicted to reading, must go ask ex to rent me a book

Faith

wolfcub3223BRONZE Member
128 posts

Posted:
it runs in my family my grand father was a drunk my grandmother on the other side was a drunk my dad was addicted to heroin my mom likes to eat to much... im gonna be so messed up biggrin but i dont need that il be addicted to summin but nothing like that. youd already know that if you could read german tongue

Ich brauche Zeit
Kein Heroin kein Alkohol kein Nikotin
Brauch keine Hilfe
Kein Koffein
Doch Dynamit und Terpentin
Ich brauche Öl für Gasolin
Explosiv wie Kerosin
Mit viel Oktan und frei von Blei
Einen Kraftstoff wie Benzin

3,556 posts

Posted:
or if you looked at the last person to post thread

addictions i think are both inherited and chance...but there is the nurture/nature
genes it runs in my family and my personality is predisposed, but seriously my mother is driving me up the wall, or i want to rebel...

Faith

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
What polarity says rings true for many many gamer addicts. Having practically lived online on mmorpg Guild Wars you can feel appreciated for your skill.... and for me looks too lol. Sounds pathetic to people who haven' experienced it being lost in a virtual world.... but it is cool being able to resolve issues by dueling it with magic biggrin

Even positive things can prove addictive. You can actually overdose on vitamins.

Page: