Forums > Social Chat > What kind of costumes Work with poi?

Login/Join to Participate

WiccanChicaThe wee little one on the block
147 posts

Posted:
My sister and I are going to be putting on a little performance for family soonish. We have a while to decide costumes but we don't know where to start. Now, mind you, we are young, so it must be appropriate, and we don't have much money either. But we have no idea what to do. We want to dress something out of the ordinary, make that night amazing, but we just don't know where to start... any ideas? juggle hug biggrin ubbrollsmile

Blessed Be,
Ivy

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a loser in aluminum foil.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
fire or not fire?

if fire, get something in cotton or denim with a dark colour (black or dark blue) then use fabric paint to add some detail to it: make sure you know what you want before you paint it though!

facepaint is also a good way to add some character to your appearance

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

147 posts

Posted:
Fire. Yes, I've been waiting a long time to use fire. (because I'm still young I'm still on parental leash too) And that sounds really cool thanks. Do you know if there is like silver fabric paint out there? And where would I get fabric/face paint?

Thanks and Blessed Be. <3

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
How young? Im 18 and I living with my mom at the moment so im still on the parental leash.(moving out of state at the end on the month though) She loves watching me with my poi but wont watch me light me up.

One thing you could do is get some black denim and you could uses silver reflective tape and a razor blade to do something like zebra stripes.

I know people like when I spin when I have my denim studded jacked because the back has a lot of silver studs and they shine when the poi heads are near them.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
You can get Dylon (I think) silver fabric paint. try your local sewing/material store to find some. As for face paint, you can probably get it at party supplies shops or toy shops.

of course they're probably both available online

don't forget to have a damp towel on hand for when you perform!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
18? that sucks man i was 15 when i first span fire, granted it wasnt very impressive as my skills were pretty boring. also it kind of killed the suspense boost of having to wait.

good luck with your show, makesure you've got all your moves down pat cause setting yourself on fire infront of your family isnt recommended if you want repeat performances :P

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I was gonna suggest that you wear as little as possible...but if it's got to be in front of family, that probably wouldn't work...

Make sure any paints that you use are not flammable and never, EVER use white gas as your fuel...it burns extremely hot!!! Besides being dangerous, it being so hot makes it harder to spin, cuz the heat can be intimidating...

Try some of the make-up and costuming tribes on tribe.net...they'll give you plenty of ideas...I know I like the ones for belly dancers (since I dance) and the one's for hooping...they're some of the best...

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Mr Majestik

18? that sucks man i was 15 when i first span fire, granted it wasnt very impressive as my skills were pretty boring. also it kind of killed the suspense boost of having to wait.

good luck with your show, makesure you've got all your moves down pat cause setting yourself on fire infront of your family isnt recommended if you want repeat performances :P

It wasn't really waiting because I only started poi two months ago. I spin almost every day though.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :WiccanChica

Fire. Yes, I've been waiting a long time to use fire. (because I'm still young I'm still on parental leash too) And that sounds really cool thanks. Do you know if there is like silver fabric paint out there? And where would I get fabric/face paint?

Thanks and Blessed Be. <3

ONLY NATURAL MATERIALS!!!! NO SYNTHETICS!

It's not some hippie, new-aged, crunchy, Earth-mother bullhonkey, either. In fact, the reason is quite practical.

See, petroleum-based fabrics melt when exposed to high heat. And then they stick to the skin like napalm and give you really nasty burns.

Leather, cotton, and wool may burn, but they won't melt. And if they do catch on fire, they stop burning when you put them out; synthetics keep on burning.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Can't help you with where, coz I'm guessing your stores are going to be very different from Aussie stores.

I go op-shopping a lot.. we find lots of leather and other things, and you don't mind cutting it up and making it funky!!

Have fun!

147 posts

Posted:
I am almost 14. Thanks for all the help guys, its great. ^_^ I really does help =P XD There are a lot of great ideas put out. Thanks, now we have a place to start looking. XD