Forums > Help! > elbow liagment damage and spinning

Login/Join to Participate

firestartedGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
Hi guys!

I'm getting a full arm cast removed on Thursday after getting a tiny hairline fracture and ligament damage.

I believe I'll have to get physio (sp?) but I'm wondering has anyone any experience on how to speed up the process? Is it safe to spin? I use Salza.se Isis heads which are quite heavy.

I'll have had the cast for 2 and a half weeks, will my muscles be as bad as people say? It's really wrecking my head :P

Fire-spinning's my main source of income frown
I've used the time to learn throws with my uninjured arm. It's rough man.

I fell off my BMX the day after attending workshops with Rob (bluecat) and Ronan (!), you can imagine how frustrated I've been....

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance,
Ken...

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I would say, ask your physiotherapist... they're more likely to give you the right advice on what to do, especially as they can actually see your arm and know the subject.

You have my sympathy, I messed up my wrist about 4 weeks ago and its only just starting to get better: but its not worth pushing yourself to hard and giving yourself a long term injury

hug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Whatever you do... take it easy!

Its far too easy to overdo something and set your recover back weeks (or months!!)

As LazyAngel said - ask your physio if in doubt.

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
What LazyAngel and Fearpig said.

For future reference, on Nick Woolsey's Scales of Poi DVD, there's a really excellent section on muscle control, physio and good practise techniques. Well worth a watch if you get time. The rest of the DVD rocks too.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
There's a brief article by Jamie on it https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/Poi_injuries.php and there's a link there so you can PM him directly if you want.
There's also a story about it on Playpoi with links to watch the physio extract: https://www.playpoi.com/skilltoys4health

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Are you sure that you really need surgery performed?

I had a couple of cases (including my own) where physicists *strongly* suggested operations, but it could be healed "conventionally". Not saying that doctors are having one eye on the knife all the time, but after all they are businessmen like the mechanics for your car.

Maybe you get a second opinion?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
a good friend of mine had a full arm cast and when he got it removed the doctors told him to do light exercise cos its the only way he would be able to get movement back in his arm it was smashed up pretty good so i introduced him to poi and got him started with a pair of light poi that i got for a fiver. he went back to the hospital last week with full movement in his arm and a new hobby. the doctors were very impressed with how well he had came along and i have somebody to spin with now yay biggrin

firestartedGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
emm Tom, I never mentioned surgery! I believe my arm will be weakened because of having been in a cast and I'm just asking how can I safely let it recuperate !

I.e. is to safe to spin etc. I figured this had to have happened to other HoP-heads!

Thanks for all the replies btw grouphug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
redface re-reading your OP makes me aware that I have not been aware.

So please forget what I've been saying, wipe that slate and let me point out that I found loads of people with injuries/ problems in various places (hands, arms, shoulders, back, spine) picking up Poi/Staff to train their strength.

I'd be interested in hearing a doctor's pov on that myself, but would assume it's the amount of spinning that determines the benefits.

*bows out*

firestartedGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
I feel as if I'm after taking the **** out of you now dude ooooops

Sorry! I get the cast taken off on Thursday, it won't be long...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Noo, not at all ubblol *hides bucket of snot and nappies* wink

Thursday - s tomorrow eek Let us know how it goes and give us a picture of the physicians face when you ask him about the benefits and dangers of Poi/Staff as a physio-therapeutic remedy.

hug best of luck

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
just take it easy mate, dont go spnning those isis poi got a while, ask the physician about proper strectching and take care of that arm. stay away from long arm stuff for a while. time to dig out those sock poi smile

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ligament damage is really, really long term healing - i tore one in my back a couple of years ago and still have problems, so please, please take it really easy = don't do ANYTHING that hurts it, even slightly, until you are sure it's better.

that said, keep us posted as to how the recovery goes smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
When I injured my wrist (completely seperate from poi) I asked about it. I was told the weight would be the key factor, and how much I did. It was a really precarious line. I didn't listen and my wrist often bothers me now.

And bluecat is completely right, it is worth not doing to mess it up further.

Rob, did yours heal incorrectly or is there another reason why it is still problematic?
It would be really useful to everyone to know if it's just the way things are or avoidable.
Sorry for prying
Thanks! hug

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mine healed fine, i just have to keep doing the right exercises cause its a bit weak. and when i sit in front of a computer for too long it complains, but thats fairly normal, i think.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

firestartedGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
I forgot to wrap this up! ubbidea

I have full movement in my arm. I got the cast off and I was given a small gooey ball to squeeze to build up the strength in my arm again.

In a grip test I got 42 kilo on my uninjured arm and then 18 on the one that had been injured which at that point had been out of a cast for a week. eek

In the physiotherapy department I was asked to bring in my poi to do a movement exam, my physio wanted to see how I would be moving my arm. ubblol

That was kinda funny, shes really hot and just started showing off ubblove {^_^} a doctor walks by and he's asking...

"can you teach me that? God love ye Maura, that's a movement exam if I've ever seen one"

Maura (my hot physio {~_o}!) told me for my ligaments and muscles to heal 100% for poi the only way to exercise them is to spin poi! weavesmileypeaceweavesmiley

When I went back the 2nd time she told me she hadn't seen the type of injury I had heal as quickly as mine had. I had been spinning alot (with light poi) and had 2 treatments of acupuncture. I was also regularly squeezing the goo she gave me.

It does niggle at me, I know my arm is weaker. I've less of a tendancy to use it to pick things up etc, but I reckon that's just habit. I do have to be mindful of it though

Thanks for all the comments btw!

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
 Written by :firestarted

I was also regularly squeezing the goo she gave me.

biggrin