Forums > Help! > 'liney' video playback - interlacing/deinterlacing issue. Help!

Login/Join to Participate

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Argh, need assistance from some techy video people out there smile

I recently installed adobe premiere 6.5 and all of a sudden some of my larger videos in any media player I play them through (DivX, Windows Media Player, Adobe's internal player, etc), the playback is all 'liney'. This didn't happen prior to Adobe being installed.

I uninstalled Adobe thinking that it would reverse the problem but the 'liney' problem is still there.

It looks similar to this:

Non-Https Image Link

I'm no whiz on video editing and all things video related but I understand that the result above is due to the video not interlacing/deinterlacing properly, but I can't figure out why footage that was once displaying properly now suddenly has this.

Any assistance or thoughts would be greatly appreciated smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
check it out with 'media player classic'(it's free) (link not the original OSS homepage, but a very good mod of the original, as the original has been inactive for quite some time) right click the video screen, and select 'filters' and it will tell you what codecs/filters are actually being used at the time, that can help you track down what is up.

some of them have options (like divx) you can reach from there, maybe premier just disabled a built in interlace filter?(it's on by default with the divx codec, and maybe for others) or it might have just left a codec behind, or re-ordered your codec priorities.

gspot (it's free) will tell you what codecs the video was actually made with and thus what you would probably want to show up as the active filter in media player classic when you play it.

and DSFMgr (and...it's free smile ) will show you all codecs on your system, and check their priority settings, sometimes codecs annoyingly force higher prioritization and mess up normal viewing (the last 2 divx builds have annoyingly over prioritized it so it's used in preference to xvid even if it's told not to decode generic MP4)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
It sounds like Adobe has changed the codec's for playback and were'nt part of the uninstall process.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling divX and see if that resolves the problem.

If not I'd try Yakumo's suggestion and take a more indepth look at codec priorities.

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fearpig

It sounds like Adobe has changed the codec's for playback and were'nt part of the uninstall process.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling divX and see if that resolves the problem.

If not I'd try Yakumo's suggestion and take a more indepth look at codec priorities.

I knew the change is likely to be isolated to when Adobe was installed, but I did try reinstalling and updating DivX and that did not alleviate the problem, let alone tweaking every possible option in DivX and Media Player.

However, I installed VLC player which allows deinterlace modes to be forced by choice. Passing a 'bob' filter over the videos in question restored the original quality but you have to manually select that each time and doesn't automatically deinterlace like it did prior to Adobe being installed.

Yakumo - Thanks for your input! I will definitely try the links and get back to you smile

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
'scuse the double post.

Media Player classic plays the file perfectly fine...and it does show which filters/codecs it uses, but when I look it up in DSFMgr it does not show up in any of the lists.

I am stumped, but fortunately my PC is due for a wipe and reinstall, so hopefully it won't be a problem for much longer.

Thanks again Yakumo! smile

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy