Forums > Social Discussion > If there was a *small* juggling/circusy shop near you...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
What would you want it to carry?

Obviously poi, devil stix, flags, some beginner jug balls.
Those are givens.

What else would you want it to carry?
Would you be supportive of stuff that is hand-made as well as factory as long as it's quality? (such as poi, flags, etc)

I am also asking my local jugg crew but want input from elsewhere.

This is going to be a perm location but based off of the ren faire booth I own, so I also have to think of a name. The faire booth goes along with our performance stuff so the name doesn't work.

I need a new name that is reflective of a more gypsy circusy attitude, fun, eye catching and still gives an idea of what we offer.

Ideas?..cause, I have none.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
How about "Pele's Inferno"? wink

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Invader Xan

How about "Pele's Inferno"? wink

I like that one.

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I'd suggest "Pele's Bells" for the rhyming, but that sounds a bit naughty ubblol

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Ah! I've thinking it was pronounced like peel! :O

Mayhaps Cyclone Spinning as a shop name?
Twirling Treasure Chest?

Kupo!

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I could be wrong. How is Pele pronounced? confused

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
roflmao ubblol

It's pronounced Pay-Lay

But I've been called peel, pell and even Pete! ubblol

Pele's Inferno, that's funny. Doesn't say what it's for though. Sounds like a night club. Hmmmmmm.........

Someone suggested Big Top Toys?

I like Cyclone Spinning, would that cover the juggly stuff too?

I think I object to the word toys, but it works.

Pele

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh man! A juggling shop! That'd be awesome. This way I'd have a place to try stuff out before I bought them cheaper online.

ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I suppose it'd depend on what you're focusing on.

There's a shop called JuggleArt, and while they do sell juggling equipment of various sorts, they also sell quite a fair amount of twirling equipment.

Pay-lay, that's gonna take some getting used to....

Kupo!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Oh man! A juggling shop! That'd be awesome. This way I'd have a place to try stuff out before I bought them cheaper online.

ubbangel

So lemme get this right... you'd drive/travel 2 hours approx to Rochester try out some thing then go back home and order them online?... wheres the savings in that dude?

wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
You don't like the word toys... what about props? Big Top Props?

As for stuff I'd like to see stocked...

As mentioned earlier, it'd be the individual, hand made stuff rather than generic toys that can be bought at almost any shop.

quirky Cone poi always interest me... as does anything round and shiny.

Maybe a small, original clothing range? hats, t shirts, accessories that sort of thing?

A wick replacing service? People can pay you to change their Kevlar for them... or even to repair props.

A way of meeting other local jugglers/spinners/whatever?

Glass' book: Multiball Contact ubbangel wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
babes.. but considering what kind of juggling community you have in your town... why only stock basic juggling stuff? if your going to stock juggling stuff at all.

Why don't you speak to the community and put out a few feelers?.

Well I hope that you come back positive after the weekend about this.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Regs shop here is tiny and packed to the gills. Spinners treasure trove though.

The kevlar change idea is a good one.. Dirty Hands is the name of a local business that supllies stuff and does changes if needed, Az hands are always dirty to match.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
I say there should be the following.

- magic stuff (Like the hanky turning into a staff, etc etc)
- Sock Poi, Fire Poi, and Tail Poi
- Hoola Hoops
- Staves (fire and practice)
- Ropedart, and nunchakus
- Contact acrylic balls (drool) The most beautiful thing ever..
- Juggling Clubs, and Torches
- Spinning Plates
- Fire Swords (I think it would be smart, considering some people just don't know how to make'em)
- Fire Fans
- Workshops and Get-togethers.

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

ubbangel

So lemme get this right... you'd drive/travel 2 hours approx to Rochester try out some thing then go back home and order them online?... wheres the savings in that dude?

wink

No, he's just being a sarcastic %$# assuming that my overhead is so high that I wouldn't be able to keep prices down, or that the only thing supporting the shop would be juggling stuff. So, he made a blatant dig at something he dunno about.
NYC, love, I'm actually able to keep prices under the internet costs..esp since there's no shipping. It's called "effective market research" wink

Oh, and PK, love...if I were to visit NYC, as I have a few times before, it takes me 6-7 hours to drive there. He's on the way far opposite end of the state from me. frown

L_T_C those are some great ideas! All of 'em. Thanks!

PK, I am talking to the local juggs as well as the BM contingent here (not hardcore spinners but they play). I asked them all before you all! (sorry!!) wink

I was thinking about doing custom order things like Swords. I don't want to stock them but I have a custom order book already for costumes that I make. It's a thought to put some of the props in there that I make as well.

Thanks!

I've already been informed by the local juggs and burners that I *am* going to have a bulletin board. lol

Ooooh, I talked to the owner of the place and might be working with him to set up a rotation of busking pitches as well. Woot! Keeps fingers crossed on that as I have some new stuff I want to test out that way.

Thanks all, I knew you'd get my mind rolling! ubbrollsmile

Pele

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
I had this idea ages ago at the juggling shop I worked at but they're never going to implement it. Basicly a create your own poi table. Pick out which handles string/chain and heads you want and get your very own custom made poi. It's much more interactive than just picking a pair up and makes people feel more attached to their props.

Viva UGLY STAFF

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
I like the create your own poi idea. Accompanying that, you'd also need some info on the different types of links, chains, poi heads, or someone manning the table to make that people didn't match huge poi heads with weak chains etc.

Btw, just following from that idea, I'd put some pics up somewhere of the different poi heads set alight. Showing the size of flame and proximity to person. My first fire set of poi were, honestly, too big for beginner spinning. I love them now (after I got over the initial "Ooohhh... burning wrist, burning wrist moment!")

Mod of Steel, I hope it go'est well. hug

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There's alot of great ideas here!

I'm going to stay away from fire stuff right off the bat. There isn't enough of a community to sustain it, but it gives me loads to think about if we make it that far.

I like the changing of the heads though. That is something the ones here would want! lol

My appt to look at the space got changed from last weds to next Tues, so I'll know more when I do that.

I'll keep ya'all informed! smile

Thanks!

Pele

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
good luck

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I always thought a juggling shop called "Tossers" would be hilarious. Kind of juvenile and obvious, I realize, but sometimes I just can't help going for the cheap joke. ubblol

Seriously though, hoops would be great! I second the hoops suggestion. Nicer contact balls i.e., stage balls, acrylics or rhythmic gymnastics balls would be faboo! Instructional media would be helpful also.

Accessories would be great too, like wick covers, carrying cases for sticks and hoops, polishing supplies for acrylics, bags to carry balls in and the like.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Written by: PK_

ubbangel

wink

No, he's just being a sarcastic %$# assuming that my overhead is so high that I wouldn't be able to keep prices down, or that the only thing supporting the shop would be juggling stuff. So, he made a blatant dig at something he dunno about.
NYC, love, I'm actually able to keep prices under the internet costs..esp since there's no shipping. It's called "effective market research" wink

I was being sarcastic of course, but it wasn't meant to be a dig at all. The question was "If there was a small juggling shop NEAR YOU..." right? That would imply that it wasn't in Rochester.

There IS a juggling shop near me. Dube down on Broadway. I go there, try stuff, and then buy stuff cheaper online because it is ridiculously expensive there.

I only made that suggestion because I'd hate to see someone put money into something and not have thought of that angle.

Clearly Pele thought of that angle (which validates the fact that it was a good point.)

Terribly sorry if the sarcasm was too sophisticated for you to decipher.

[wait wait wait... think... he's being... SARCASTIC... wink ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
rolleyes at NYC

Okay, so I think I am going to get the smallest shop space, 8'x10'
To make cost each month, with the buffer, and concidering it'll only be open 4 days per week (cause that's when the location is open) I'll need to make $20 a day in sales.

Doable I think.

Pele

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Yeah, averaging $20 a day should be pretty easily done. Hell, you could get a few random jugglers to just hang around outside and play with stuff. Would make good advertising!

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
The most important is not to have stock stitting in store to long for turn over and cash flow .

After 2months the item is only worth 98%
6months i think is about 85%

Buy small to start and find out from your client what they would like ?.

How about the house of fun ?.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
Personally,I like Khan's suggestion of 'Tossers'. ubblol Seems I can't escape from the juvenile humour either.

juggle

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
ubbidea

I don't know if someone has suggested this earlier, but some basic costuming supplies wouldn't go down badly.

You know:

- some funkier, more individual makeup and hair product

- long patterned gloves and socks etc

- cool jesters hats (the ones where everyone looks at you like this -> umm)

And I don't think I've seen a skill toy shop without the bangles and UV reactive earrings sitting on the counter.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
So you're going for it, Pele? I keep my fingers x-ed for you.

If I can be of any service/ assistance, let me know.

smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Puk

How about the house of fun ?.

Welcome to the house of fun, now i got to run
welcome to the house of fun
Welcome to the lions den............

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Tossers sounds good! Its better than what popped into my mind: Circle Jerks.

Ditto on the costume supplies like makeup, hats, gloves, maybe even some consignments on leather masks; things that seem to be popular additions to the performers I see posting around here.

An occasional book/video for the uninitiated that enters on a passing interest. Things regarding bellydancing, thumb cymbals, music.

While larger items such as unicycles are fun, they are pricey too. That's a lot of overhead to stock.

Though, to be honest Pele, if you are renting a space 8' x 10', I would invest in trick mirrors along both walls. it would make your inventory seem much bigger. wink biggrin wink

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
it would make your space seem bigger, and that could help

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Page: