Forums > Help! > performers of all skills needed (UK only) -EDIT-

Login/Join to Participate

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
*notes mods monitoring thread* ubbangel

hi, i'v been given the green light to try and hire some perforners for eastern haze as the fire officer gave us the nod on friday.

i KNOW most of you will be gearing up to head off to PLAY in july so there in is my problem.......

we need performers to do maybe one or two shows per night over the three days also, maybe hosting one workshop per day (these detais can be discussed later)

there IS money involved, although i'm not the money man and YES this is 100% genuine ubbangel

any info, any help or pointers feel free to PM me (including the mods biggrin )

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
dates? Is it at the same time as play?

would they need insurance? I assume yes.
EDITED_BY: Sym (1171892488)

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

7,193 posts

Posted:
the dates are 20th to the 23rd of july, only a few days before play so you can see my problem. i've googled and fired off some emails to companys like contrabandevents.com

and yes i have seen dev kev is signed to them so this makes things harder a i know most people are signed to perform at play.

as for the insurance i will have to get back to you on that one, i know we have an on site fire officer and health and safety person.

it's all above board wink

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

it's all above board wink

With you as the guy booking people, how could it not be wink hug

I may well be interested you can find some other people. I don't have insurance, but I'd be willing to get it in return for a free ticket and payment smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Where is it?
If it's near Play, I could be able to drop in (possibly with others from Burnt Toast) - or even if it's not, other slices of 'Toast might be able to make it.

drop me an e-mail with full details at burnttoast @ hugbubble.co.uk and i'll see what we can offer

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

7,193 posts

Posted:
cheers for the feed back people hug

durbs: it's situated on the norfolk suffolk boarder at a location called sommerlayton hall ( a nice old country estate)

seeing as burnt toast is possibly the other side of the country and norfolk is about 5 hours drive from telford...........see my dialemma???

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
That's why we charge for tranport (and travel time sometimes)

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

7,193 posts

Posted:
that is someting you would have to bring up with the powers that be i'm affraid, i'm simply the middle man as there is so much to organise that i've been given the duty of "fishing" and passing on info

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cool - well, pass our details on and we'll see what we can do smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

7,193 posts

Posted:
durbs PM me your msn addy and i will try to connect you direct wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
smile Nay worries, just been contacted about this anyway through another agency...
My tentacles are long and windy wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Windy?

ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Windy, not windy wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
has his fingers in many pies id usually say........... however lex ate them all so hes now having to use his skill elsewhere wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
like durbin will have time to travel away from play! ubblol

we will be working you to the bone, 'mafraid, old chum....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

7,193 posts

Posted:
ok so information i know at present..............

as the law stats we have to have an on site fire marshal/s, health and safety (scum), our own on site fire engine and also paramedics (they more than earned their money last year after someone got thr hand crush doing something silly involving two vans)

there IS a budget for this but moneys a dirty subject so i won't discuss that a the moment wink

the performance area is to be 25meters x 25meters, with a 5 meter "no mands land" internally.

thers to be at least one spotter on each face of the square and the fie marshal MUST be persant when ever performers are in action.

through a bit of reseach i know that sun set is around 9pm with twilight around 10.20pm.

also if anyone has ANY stuff to do a black light show the psy trance stage will be equipped for U.V. backdrops and the such biggrin

7,193 posts

Posted:
---------------BUMP-----------------------------

i'd like to use this thread to thank everyone for their info and advice that they have taken the time to send to me

grouphug

that dosen't mean you can stop though.........get back to work!!!! ubblol wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

as the law stats we have to have an on site fire marshal/s, health and safety (scum)

Er, not to sound like too much of a prick, but this is a really bad attitude to have when organising a fire show at a festival and just shrieks "irrisponsible fire show organiser" at me umm

If you're taking on the responsiblity of putting on a fire show, you have to know how important these things are... calling them "scum" is frankly lame.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

The health and safety people are there, unsuprisingly, to keep you HEALTHY and SAFE.

I would hardly call someone, who's job it is to look after me, "scum".

7,193 posts

Posted:
with regards to that ill-chosen comment, i have bee in the building trade for nearly 9 years and is it commen for such things to be said, this was ment in humour and not as a generalisation, nor should it be seen that we are in any way cutting corners where safety is concerned.

health and safety is all too important but in my line of work they always tend to hinder things where as when you need their advice they are always willing to provide it.

sorry if my warped sence of humour escapes you

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

Chill out guys. I don't know about you, but I hear people moaning about Health and safety all the time. I have found that complying to 'Health and safety' and being healthy and safe are different things due to too much red tap. My dad had to go on a half day course for 'step ladder training' the just before Christmas. HALF A DAY! That means that someone talked about how to use a step ladder for 4 hours and then they had a test.

He passed, by the way.

People who make jokes about H&S are not saying that people should be unhealthy or unsafe.

By the way, I have talked to a few event managers for large BBC events who think the same way, as well as people who put on national and regional shows all over the UK.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Not to labour a point, but yes - we all now that H&S is an annoying but neccessary burden, I'd still take issue with someone calling them scum for doing a public service job. Likewise I don't like it when people have a go at the police...

Anyhoo...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Can I call some limescale scum? or some scum, scum? wink

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

7,193 posts

Posted:
rolleyes
Non-Https Image Link
ubblol

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I work in a school and the health and safty here is stupid when we do musical shows life becomes extrmely dificult for us not to mention trying to change a scene without a ladder because you need to sit though a 110 slide presentation on it before you can climb a ladder.

And thats not the half of it working in a music department we have so many problems.

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

7,193 posts

Posted:
i've seen a health and safety officer call down a steeple jack and ask why he wasn't wearing any gloves ubblol

some are wicked and will give you good advice but some are whinging jobsworth's out just to make more work for themselves ubblol

anyhow.......................... back to the thread subject wink

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
My response is here, in a new thread to keep from taking this one off-topic-

[Old link]

Personally, this is a gig I'm not interested in as it's too far from where i live, but, if I had been interested, the fact that the organiser uses the word 'scum..' in connection with Health and safety, would make it a definite no-no for me.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!