Forums > Social Discussion > I find this so very sad....

Login/Join to Participate

Nonkymember
44 posts

Posted:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6201034.stm

The above link describes the situation for some of the elderly people in the UK Right now..

It makes the point that they find it neccessary to skip food and heating as they simply can't afford to pay for them!

This is soo sad- these people have contributed to the country for many years, many of them will have fought in wars for this country and already gone through extreme hardship. (a lot of thanks they get for it eh?)

How can this be happening in a so called 'Western Civilised' society? Its soo wrong.

What do you think about it?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Nonky, my friend works for Sovereign Housing, and she said that so many of them are dying every week. She said "as soon as it gets cold, they drop like flies". It's so horrible .

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

crowley2BRONZE Member
official hop cutie
272 posts

Posted:
i hate the fact that this happaning to those espically that thought for are freedom but the auestion is were to get the money from with to many tax evaders and cheaters an ever excalating number witch puts pressure on other services such as the nhs (the black hole through wich money burns) and a simple fact is that raising the tax causes people to complain and goverments to fall

u think this is a problem now its getting worse my pension in 55 years will be only £70 a week est

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry pratchett

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: crowley2

i hate the fact that this happaning to those espically that thought for are freedom but the auestion is were to get the money from with to many tax evaders and cheaters an ever excalating number witch puts pressure on other services such as the nhs (the black hole through wich money burns) and a simple fact is that raising the tax causes people to complain and goverments to fall

u think this is a problem now its getting worse my pension in 55 years will be only £70 a week est

simple answer...........................STOP BOMBING THE CRAP OUT OF IRAQ!!!!!!

the revenue they waste on logistics being rained down in foreign lands could be put to much better use.

crowley2BRONZE Member
official hop cutie
272 posts

Posted:
that would solve a lot of problems but would create more too

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry pratchett

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
around here they cannot turn off the heat, but because of this many apartments don't turn on the heat until later...it was october 18th or so before the heat was turned on in my old building...
(of course my mother keeps the house freezing like we have no heat but that is another thread entirely)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Nonkymember
44 posts

Posted:
The revenue that Taxpayers in the UK contribute(approx 6 Billion last year alone)-towards paying off others countries arms debts would also go a long way to helping these vulnerable people. (as one example)

I just find it quite sick really, that there are people who are mostly invisible to society, forgotten by the majority and left to die through lack of basic comforts such as warmth! There are animals who are treated better in this country; so wrong.

I had ran out of heating a few times also in the past (and probably will again as its soo expensive!) and it does feel pretty grating, I can't imagine what its like for a vulnerable old person.

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Isn't survival of the fittest what unbridled capitalism is all about?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
try looking at the youth of todays society... a use once throw away generation.. a disposable generation.

ipod doesnt work any more, what do you do.. bin it and buy a new one.
New playstaion game is just out.. go out and get it on the first day and pay £60 or what ever they cost... money down the drain.

ever been and looked in Grannies closet?.. full of stuff... they never throw out any thing and do you know why?... cos probably they worked damn hard for it. They were born in the days where TV's were black and white, some even before TV existed, old people made the most of their time, listening to the wireless lol (radio), reading and there was also a real respect for community.

How many of you even know what you neighbours name is, ever invite them round for coffee, make general chitchat.

It may be sickening to see all of that happening to the elderly for all that they have done in their lives and for their country in the wars.. it is fault of their famillies that disregard their own parents and grandparents and dont support them through out the winters, make sure they are vacinated against flu and colds or pay the bills cos they cant afford to themselves.

It sickens me too, but look at society in a whole.. the system sucks.. wars, bailing out other countries debts, crappy government.. having to pay for the up keep of the royal famillies property, prince andrew alone spends £150,000 a year to have the windows painted on one of his homes... go figure.. who pays!, the tax payer.

Will any of this change in the future?.. probably NO confused and most likely it will worsen rolleyes ... how to fix it ?? confused i havn't got a clue, but all i know is that here in Italy its just the same!... so dont think that you English are alone.

My partners auntie gets 400 a month pention and can not work due to illness, her husband died a year ago... her rent alone on the house (tiny house that is) is 400 a month.. and the food.. the heating... you think its expensive in England... you have no idea about how lucky you are there with fuel prices.

all i know is that marches and demonstrations dont work!, i dont know how any thing can make the governments change for the better instead of wasting so much money on non important matters such as the war on Iraq or whatever else they keep doing wrong..

by my first comments.. just think about how the youngsters are .. disposable!!.. we waste all of our money now and when we retire and need money for heating??? where did all that money you earnt in your life go? confused ?? getting drunk every weekend, going out clubbing, buing the latest gadgets, ipods, ps3 etc... where will all those gadgets be in 5 years, probably in the bin either broken or not the latest thing of the times.. and your best mate just bought a brand new playstation with wifi, gootooth the do all model for a £1000 give or take the current rate of inflation. wink

... rolleyes the world..

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
https://www.helptheaged.org.uk/en-gb
I'm not sure how to link but I donate to their winter collection which is designed to help elderly people get heating and food and flu jabs during the dangerous winter months. It's a start.

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

all i know is that marches and demonstrations dont work!, i dont know how any thing can make the governments change for the better instead of wasting so much money on non important matters such as the war on Iraq or whatever else they keep doing wrong...

... rolleyes the world..

I know this won't work either, but I always think it would be great if we could convince everyone to simultaneously boycot paying their council tax for one month. I've seen a couple of people do this as a form of protest in the news and get arrested for it, but surely they couldn't arrest everyone and maybe they would have to listen to the little people if we make things difficult? I know it'll never happen, just a thought.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The Tea Fairy

I know this won't work either, but I always think it would be great if we could convince everyone to simultaneously boycot paying their council tax for one month. I've seen a couple of people do this as a form of protest in the news and get arrested for it, but surely they couldn't arrest everyone and maybe they would have to listen to the little people if we make things difficult? I know it'll never happen, just a thought.

wink so basically an allout boycot country wide!... now theres an idea ubbidea

The problem with dealing with council taxes etc, they do and will take you to court, in the end you pay it back + all the other costs of sending you to court.. if it was every one in the country then that would be virtually impossible to prosectute every one confused ,i'd be interested to hear a government responce to such a question.

On the topic of council tax, on a whole you are a month in advance... how do i know?... well when i left my last residence in the UK, where i was the bill payer, i recieved a months council tax in return when leaving.. go figure, so they con every one in the country as it is by over charging you and not telling you, every month you pay the bills and non the wiser.. well if i was there for 12months exactly and arrived having paid 13months tax?? confused im slightly confussed how the system can work like that.. times that by all of the houses within the derbyshire county council area and you arrive with a nice sum of missing money.
So every one in a county, misses a months payment... they already have your money! in a sense, but will still take you to court the same i'd expect.

systems... who the hell invented them!... confused