gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Hey Guys,hope everyone is ok and everything.anyway.I was watching a really crap action type film the other day and I was just about to turn it over when this woman,who had just beaten up this bloke, went to blow him a kiss, she lent over, opened up her hand to rveal a small flame and blew a 15ft fire ball straight in his face. shocked I was wondering if you think it would be at all possible to construct such a stunt as I feel it would be great for shows and performances as a purly visual aid (with women adding a real cuteness of blowing a kiss mixed withfire grin. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas. The imediate thought of mine waskevlar gloves (malcolm you might be able to help here) with a patch of normal wick in the middle that one could soak andthen pin on.Any ideas would be great. Cheers guys, you aint never let me down yet, lets see what you come up with.peace outgarbo tongue
quote:
"Be the Change"Mahatma Ghandi
[This message has been edited by garbo (edited 10 May 2001).]

be excellent to each other: safe:

TallJugglermember
41 posts

Posted:
When doing fire handling I have been able to set my hand on fire for a couple of seconds and have even done firebreathin useing my finger which I set on fire. try dipping your finger in fuel and light it for just a few seconds. BE CAREFUL though. don't keep it lit fo to long.

Oh LordForge me in the fire of your mightLet your flames burn higher and brighterMake me pure and holy in your siteAnd cleanse me with thy consuming fire

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
I saw an AMAZING perfomrnace the other night where two beautiful belly dancers had small brass containers attached to leather handstraps... the containers resembled those at the bottom of oil lamps... anyway... they lit the containers and did the dance with small flames restingon their palms... really beautiful, and, i would imagine translatable into this idea...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'm not an extremely experienced fire breather, but I have a lot of experience doing body transfer work. Thanks for the words of caution Tall, but there's some considerations I want to add. Dipping any part of the body into fuel and then lighting is extremely dangerous, because this produces flame on all sides of the appendage and doesn't allow a significant amount of control of how much fuel you're applying. That coupled with blowing a fire ball off one's own body on fire. There are bad tales of injury from such feats. I'm not going to tell you what to do, Tall. I will say there's now way in good conscience I'd recommend taking up a trick like that. Diana

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The first thought to come to mind is that you can't believe everything you see on t.v.Mom used to preach this and this is the first time I have been compelled to say it. grinAnyway, I am a firebreather and I also do trailing so I have a bit to say, starting with are you nuts???? wink Actually I am serious. Blowing from your flesh has bad idea written all over it. Think about this, you light your hand, aim high and blow. The fuel, though aspirated is still liable to condense when it hits your hand, that is after igniting, and run down your arm (it has happened). Beyond that, dipping a body part in fuel to ignite it is very different from trailing it along. In trailing the flame is *never* uncontrollable or a size that can't be put out with a simple swipe of the hand (at least that is what I learned, correct me if I am wrong Di) where as dipping in fuel and lighting may cause something a bit beyond your immediate control. I would stay away from this one.Hmmm...blowing off from bowls or fire-ettes (which is what the palm holding devices are called, I understand). You would be hard pressed to get anything remotely good looking from a bowl without sloshing or blowing the fuel in the bowl all over you. With fire-ettes in the palm of your hand, for the amount of fuel you blow compared to the size of flame off of them, you would again end up with flamey fuel upon your lovely hands.Now, there are ways to make blows interesting and almost what you are talking about. Jellyhead has this one stunt they named Hiroshima, which works and is cool and takes quick timing. Take a cigarette, dip the tip into fuel, get your shot of fuel in your mouth and be ready to blow. Put the cigarette in your mouth and light. Because of the fuel on it the cig will flare up nice and high for a short bit....blow then!!!!The effect is a hands free fireball. If you can continue blowing through this, of course you can make a rolling blow but not really a huge "blast". It is similar to your kiss and about all I can think of to pull off something like that. HOWEVER, when thinking of doing this trick, remember you will have a flaming cigarette go flying into the air so beware of where you blow and make sure you put it out not to mention be more aware of wind than you ever have been before. shockedAnyway, that is the $.02 of a fire breather/trailer....and of someone who really enjoys both of them immensely.Reguards and safe fire play------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Big Daddi-Yomember
21 posts

Posted:
If I can talk my parents into it, I'd like to do a little fire breathing for demos. Could anyone give me some tips or a url? Thanks!~Derrick

Wow! Check out this bagel I found behind my refridgerator!

TallJugglermember
41 posts

Posted:
When I was talking about setting your hand on fire there are two ways that I do it. 1: passing a fire torch ovr my hand leaving a little fire on it which can be extingueshed by closing my hand. The other way is dipping just your index finger into the fuel, lighting it and hold it up just to ignite and then extingesh it by closing your and around it. Not stting your whole hand on fire, I am not that stupid.------------------Oh LordForge me in the fire of your mightLet your flames burn higher and brighterMake me pure and holy in your siteAnd cleanse me with thy consuming fire

Oh LordForge me in the fire of your mightLet your flames burn higher and brighterMake me pure and holy in your siteAnd cleanse me with thy consuming fire

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I still think, Tall juggler, youwould run into the same issues. I also noticed you said to extinguish fairly quickly, but with fire breathing you don't really have that option, not to mention that it causes the torch to flare really well, imagine that on your hand! Yeee-ouch! smileAnyway, Big Daddy-Yo. fyretr.com I think is Mephisto's site, which give really good beginning ideas, though I think he leaves alot of things out of it. Anyway, read through what he has to say and if you are still wanting, email me and I will fill in what I personally feel are the blanks. wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Big Daddi-Yomember
21 posts

Posted:
Thanks Pele!~Derrick

Wow! Check out this bagel I found behind my refridgerator!