Forums > Social Chat > Jewelery question (primarily for the ladies)

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So last night I found a bracelet that may be of great value, or may be faux, lying on the sidewalk.

Wondering if anyone can help me find out if it's cheap or expensive. The clasp says "LAUNDRY by Shelli Segal." It's a rippled ring studded with a diamond-like stone (rhinestones? cubic zirconia? real diamonds?) and it is made of a gold-like (or plated?) metal.

Anyone familiar with something like this? Can I throw it away, or is this worth a concerted effort into finding the owner? I've already posted it on craigslist.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

Since it says who it's by actually on the bracelet, i'd probably say it's not something that got picked up for five bucks off the counter while it's owner was buying some clothes...

most of my jewllery tells me what it's made of on the clasp, but then my jewlwery's not worth jack. Take it down to your local jewellwers and find out what it'll cost to have it valued (*shrugs* explain the situation they might do it cheap cuz you're being a good samaratan or something. then again it might not cost anything anyways, i've never had anything valued.)

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Wear it for a while and see if anything turns green biggrin

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

WirewoodGOLD Member
journeyman
90 posts

Posted:
Or see if you can find anything like it at:

www.laundrybyshellisegal.com

"What drives life is...a little electric current kept up by the sunshine." Albert Szent-Gyorgi

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
It's a designer the department store I worked in (gotta love part-time university jobs!) carried, so was probably quite a nice piece of costume jewellery. Looked for a hallmark?

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
yeah check for a hallmark...they are usually tiny lil stamps on the inside of the clasp.
Other than that the best way to tell is to show a jeweller.
good luck Doc hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
A valuation might cost you something, but just asking the girl/guy at the counter should work for a rough "is it worth anything"

Check to see if it has a stamp in it of the metal. I dont know how to explain it unless you know what i mean, but when proper jewlery is made, there is a stamp with the kind of metal on it. eg, sterling silver is stamped with 925. sorry, i dont know gold off the top of my head though, because I don't wear it. But that is a way.

And a way to check if it's plated is to look closely at the joins because thats where it will wear off first.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So all it says is LAUNDRY by Shelli Segal. No "14k" or anything on it. I'm assuming it's nice costume jewelry. That's my mom's assessment over the phone, too.

-Mike

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm sure someone will love it as a present smile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
That's what 925 means! Thanks Rouge, I was wondering. biggrin

I'll be useless and agree with the ask-a-salesgrunt brigade. though if it does turn out to be a present to someone stylish hurrah for making people happy.
EDITED_BY: Seb (1150709026)

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, Spanner, if it's sentimental value, then I guess the owner needs to make an effort to find it.

I've posted it on lostandfound.org and craigslist. If she doesn't appear in a week, then it's a present to someone.

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Probably not real diamonds...

But just to check (some of these are impractical but interesting... but the fog and newspaper test seem good):

Written by:

The Real Thing?

How to tell a real diamond from a fake

Hands down the #1 question I’m asked online is "How can I tell if my diamond is the real thing?" People want to know if there is some simple test they can do at home or little tricks of the trade to tell if the ring they own is a valuable heirloom or of the Cracker Jack variety.

Without question the quickest and most reliable method for authenticity would be an independent appraisal. This can be accomplished easily enough by looking under "Appraisal (Jewelry)" in your yellow pages. When you call to enquire about their services you want to ask three questions:

1.) Can you schedule an appointment or is it first come first served.

2.) Ask the fee; $35.00-$75.00 is considered a fair price.

3.) Ask if the jewelry will always be in your presence. If the appraiser says they will not evaluate the jewelry in front of you, find another appraiser.

If spending 50 bucks seems a little too steep to uncover the identity of your rock, you can head to your local jewelry store and ask their in-house gemologist to take a peek and give you their opinion. Since opinions are like belly buttons (everyone’s got one) understand that in a lot of these quick 30-second evaluations mistakes can be made. Especially since most jewelers won’t charge you for 30 seconds of their time. (Just like with independent appraisals, don’t let the merchandise out of your site.)

There are some less reliable methods you can try but there are no guarantees with these:

1. The old “If it will scratch glass it has to be a diamond.” Well, it is true that diamonds do scratch glass but so do a lot of the other fakes on the market. To boot, it’s possible to injure your rock even if it’s real during your hardness test.

2. The transparency test. If you flip the diamond in question upside down and place it over some newsprint and can clearly read through the stone, it’s not a diamond. (The problem with this test is some diamonds are cut shallow and can be read through.)

3. The fog test. This test I like a lot. Put the rock in front of your mouth and fog it like you would try to fog a mirror. If it stays fogged for 2-4 seconds, it’s a fake. A real diamond disperses the heat instantaneously so by the time you look at it, it has already cleared up. (A down fall to this test is oil and dirt on the stone can effect its reliability and the test is not accurate at all on doublets where the top of the stone is diamond and the bottom is cubic zirconia epoxied together.)

4. The weight test. The most popular of diamond simulants (fake) is a cubic zirconia. C.Z.’s weigh approximately 55% more than diamonds for the same shape and dimension. So if you have a carat or gram scale at your disposal you can see if the imposter tips the scales too much.

5. The U.V. test. A high percentage of diamonds fluorescence blue when put under an ultra violet light (black light). Since 99% of all fakes don’t, a positive identification of medium to strong blue would indicate a diamond. The bad news is if this method proves you have a diamond, it also proves your diamond is worth less. Diamonds with blue fluorescence are as much as 20% less valuable. Remember, lack of blue fluorescence doesn’t mean it’s a fake; it could just be a better quality diamond.

6. Under the loop test. If you own some sort of magnifying lens, there are some things you can look for on the stone that might give away its identity:

A. Look at the rock from the top and see how well the facets (cuts on top of the diamond) are joined. They should be sharp not rolled.

B. Look at the girdle and see if it is faceted or frosty (a clear sign it’s a diamond) or waxy and slick (an indication it’s a fake).

C. While you’re looking at your stone under magnification, look into your stone to see if you detect any flaws (carbon, pinpoints, small cracks). These are typically clear indications it’s the real thing since it’s very hard to put inclusions in a fake.

D. After examining the stone, focus in on the stamps inside the setting. A stamp of "10K, 14K, 18K, 585, 750, 900, 950, PT, Plat" indicates the setting is real gold or platinum which gives a better chance that the stone in it is real as well. While you’re looking at the interior of the ring, also look for any "C.Z." stamps that would indicate the center stone is not a diamond.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I can't imagine its real diamonds if it says what it is on the jewelry. Its probably a nice $30-$90 bracelet someone lost altho that doesn't rule out 14k (which usually isn't that expensive on a simple bracelet).

Kudos for giving the owner a chance, and at that point I agree, it will make a very nice gift to someone if its not showing any signs on wear.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Spanner, there wasn't really any likely establishment near the place... and it was on the sidewalk, which means that she likely didn't realize where she lost it.

All she can know is that she was on 95th st. between 2 and 3 avs the night she lost her bracelet.

-Mike