Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I watched Pay It Foward quite a while ago and I have found that it has completly changed the way I live my life...
About 3 months ago I was getting off a bus in a Brissie south suburb at about 11 at night...It was quite chilly and there was a girl in a small sparkly dress and high heels looking around like she was completly disorientated...I called out to her and asked if she was ok to which she replyed "where am I?"
I was all like 'uhoh'..
I asked her what her name was, to which she couldnt remember and I asked her where she had been because she was very dressed up and she replied that she remembered that she had been at the horse races and had drank wine but that was all she remembered...
I thought 'oh no shes been rowied' (rohypnol) (sp)
All of a sudden a guy pulled up in a taxi and said "which one of you called me?"
I had a terrible feeling for the poor girl so I told her I would take her home and sent the cabbie on his way...
Problem...she couldnt remember where she lived!!!
So I asked if she had a mobile and rang the home number on it...grabbed hte address off her father and drove her home...she was very groggy by the time I got her home and I was just really thankful that I could help her...Her father wanted to repay me for gas but I was like "no way..I would just like if you pay it foward"...and he had seen the movie and smiled the BIGGEST SMILE i had seen...so that was my reward...
For those of you who havent seen the movie the concept of Pay it foward is that you must choose three people and help them.. it cant be something easy like giving someone 40 cents to use the phone..It has to be a selfless act to help someone....those people in turn have to help three people and those people have to help three people and so on and so forth...It is an excercise in love and Faith...and I for one will be living this way for the rest of my days...We may not think that we are able to change the world as we know it...but it is definatly worth a shot....
Love to you all

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Valura, that's so terrible! But remember that time when someone drugged you against your will (that was you, right?)? You just got the sweetest payback by being able to help someone else in the same boat.

Knowing that there are people people like you who will go out of your way to help a total stranger makes me feel a lot better about humanity.

No matter what anyone ever says, no matter how life gets you down, Valura, remember what you did and remember that you're a great woman.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:

Love you so much, Valura. When I think about some of the things that have happened to people in my life, well... Thankyou so much for being a person who cares, and not a person who just walks by.

I haven't seem Pay it Forward, but I think I will have to now.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Yes Mikey that was me and I have only just seen the irony of the situaton now that you pointed it out to me...thank you...sometimes you just need another person to give their opinion freely and it helps you to another path of thinking....WOWEE...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
You are gifted!

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Its a good movie and an even better concept.

I'm glad that someone is acting on it.

Raph

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Do not see this movie!!

Read the book instead. Having read the book, I thought the movie sucked, it was way, way diluted in terms of characterisation, plot, and emotion.

The idea is the same, of course, but they twisted the story in the usual hollywood way, while at the same time reducing the scale of the whole thing.

This is the only book I have ever read that reduced me to tears in the closing pages. My eyes water now just thinking about it.

Magnus
---
Pay it Forward

Magnus... pay it forward

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
geez...your post made me cry

I too have watched Pay It Forward (and read the book, which I agree told the story a bit better!) and took a lot away from it.

I was out drinking with friends one night and one of the girls in our group went missing - someone had slipped something into her drink and taken her from the pub without us knowing.
They eventually found our beautiful friend two days later - She had died sometime during the night she was taken. The police confirmed that she had been drugged and raped. They also have statements from a number of people claiming they remembered seeing her disorientated on the street late on the night she went missing.
I only wish someone had REALLY noticed her that night, realised something was wrong and had the compassion and selflessnes to ask 'Are you okay' and actually care about the answer.
You are a beautiful person and I hope everyone who reads this will remember what you did and be more willing to keep their eyes out for people who need help.

Remember guys - Keep an eye out for your friends, look after each other and never hesitate to help a stranger who might need it.

Rach

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm conviced, just bought the book on Amazon. I'm having pretty good luck reading books I first hear of on HOP.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Absolutly excellent idea. I'm going to try to instigate this into my life. It takes no real effort you our behalf but can make a real differnce to other peoples lives.. Pay it forward - the way forward!

Maybe if we all try this the world will be a nicer place to live - sounds a bit idiolistic - but hey anything is worth a shot. I'm in Zimbabwe at the moment - just driven 4 hours in the car down from the mountains.. It has really hit me hard to see people who I know are starving on the road sides. the guy who took my case down from my hotel room ( was the same guy who cleaned my room every day too).. I slipped him 4000 dollers ( normal tip is abput 100- 200 dollers).. to me that is about 4 pounds if that - to him it was about half an months wages.. his smile nearly made me cry, Joseph you were a really sweet guy!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Kevmember
83 posts

Posted:
You guys are so cool. I'm gonna read the book, but I know the idea behind it. We need more of that.

A while back I was visiting london for a couple of days, I think it was just having returned to the UK from Oz. Anyway I went to Victoria Bus station to catch my bus back north, got the time totally wrong and ended up with like an 8 hour wait. So I hang around for a couple of hours pacing up and down the station (there is NOTHING to do there) when I notice an asian girl, maybe a couple of years older than me, looking pretty upset and on the brink of tears. So, I asked her what was wrong. It was hard, she didn't speak much english.
She managed to explain that someone had stolen her handbag when she turned away for a second, and she had lost everything she had - money, CCs, bus tickets, but most importantly her passport with UK visa and work permit. All she had was her boyfriends phone number (he lived 200 miles away) and a suitcase full of clothes. I called her boyfriend but he was out. I took her to the police to report her stolen bag (a futile gesture, I know). In the end I gave her enough money for a bus ticket to her boyfriend, but she insisted I give her my email address so she could get back to me and repay me the money. I said she didn't have to pay me back but she wasn't gonna take my money otherwise, so I gave her my email.
On my bus home, I felt like I had done something good, and the fact that I had almost missed my bus and was down £10-20 didn't seem to bother me.
A couple of days later I got an email from her asking for my address to send the money to. I couldn't think of a way to turn her down without making her feel guilty so I didn't reply. I got another couple of mails form her, and then I guess she gave up.
I wish I had met you guys before.. I would have known what to say - PAY IT FORWARD

(Sorry it took me so long to get to the point )

BTW something I just thought of, can anyone think of a movie that is BETTER than the book?

- Honk if you love peace and quiet!

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Kev, you know if you still have her email, it's not too late to ask her to Pay It Forward.

without getting off-topic in this thread, I found Lord of the Rings to be a deadly boring book, but have now seen FOTR 3 times and TT twice.

Magnus... pay it forward

Kevmember
83 posts

Posted:
quote:
Kev, you know if you still have her email, it's not too late to ask her to Pay It Forward.

Sadly, I don't.

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Thanks for sharing your story Valura. With what you shared and what Pyro-Tech shared, one can see what a huge difference helping someone can make. I'll remember your story and Pay it Forward myself!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Pyro-Tech...Your friend is in my thoughts hun..Your post also made me get pretty upset because I can really feel for your friend and for you as well...Much love to you.
I really thought that this thread wasnt going to take off which made me sad...I really am making an effort to get this message across... Then (as normal) BLAMMO...you guys surprise me and show me that you have hearts of gold, and are really interested in this stuff..HOORAY
Im making an effort to spread a bit of love around and thought that this concept was the best way... Im gunna go out and be a little do gooder geek!!!! Kev and MisStix...nice work guys they are great things that you did...
love to all you lil chickens...

[ 07. January 2003, 13:03: Message edited by: Valura ]

bri mCcallmember
34 posts

Posted:
This movie too changed my life. I know that you are supposed to do big things for people,and I have looked for these things. But I haven't found anyone to do them for, when I do find them I will gladly help them and tell them to pay it forward. I do however do small things for people as often as I can.Like this homeless man came up to a group of people hanging out in front of a cofee shop, he was asking several people for a ciggarette. Everyone just gave him the silent treatment.It made me a little angry. Right then he started to walk away. I called him over and gave him about six ciggs. This left me with two for the week, but I understood what it was like to be in his position. He got this really embarraced look on his face and asked me for a light. I gave him my lighter. He offered me like 15 cents. I just told him to pay it forward when he got the chance. I hope by my doing little things like that for people and telling them to pay it forward that they will in turn do so and maybe do something big for someone else. I figure it might start the movement going anyway.

As for Velura thank you for your comment to my post on the Tarrot and bad news page I will definantly look into it futher the origin of Tarrot. And I definately have a different outlook on people who work in shops. Once again I am sorry that I offended you, those were never my intentions.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Flynt suggested weeks ago i find your thread, Valura, healer, spreader of light.

when Pay It Forward was celebrated in its debut as a book, i was active in the spiritual community. it was adopted as a core element then at Unity Church of Tustin, a "New Thought" spiritual community which relates chakras and stages, global spiritual wisdom, in life-practice steps far beyond any other community within the Unity denomination. it's hardly specifically Christian; the Christian minister is the associate one, and she personally draws from other sources too. my sister Debra was Goddess minister in this community.

Valura and good friends who give yourselves, forward or without any concern for returns, my blessing on what you do.

it's my profound hope that in 2003 i have begun to be able to practice this principle properly, with fully proper attitude, intention, and open gift, free of many impurities which have leeched much good from how i've practiced it so far. may i too be an offering to all, as you have made yourself so well. please pray for me in this commitment to joining you in this practice.

whether you hope for return of favorable karma or not, may you receive it, both as you deserve and beyond any hint of desert.

a beautiful existence to you, and especially as a new year unfolds, may you blossom in splendor, flower among myriad blooms

with deepest love,

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Kevmember
83 posts

Posted:
Cheers Mike Best of luck with whatever you set your mind to in the new year

I saw Pay It Forward on video for less than £5 today.. I'm gonna read the book, but I'm tempted to buy it...

Or I would if I had £5 to spare.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
och aye, Kev, cheers, may this year just begun prove truly amazing for you!

hope one year i may be at Hogmanay in Scotland, a rich desire of mine.

wide-ranging love Valura & all our family here.

have not yet seen the movie, perhaps i will. glad it was so impressive for you!

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Kevmember
83 posts

Posted:
Please do come over next Hogmanay, you have a place to crash here any time you need it.

Uhm, just don't say 'och aye' within earshot of anyone!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
My copy just arrived and I can't wait to read it. If you pm me your address Kev I'll post it to you when I'm finished.

264 posts

Posted:
deepsoulsheep...
How did you like the book?? Finished reading it yet....?
What'd you think...? Are you all inspired now to do great things....?

RACH

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

Kevmember
83 posts

Posted:
Thanks Deepsoulsheep but I'm getting it from the library Yeah 'getting' I live in such a tiny place the library has to order most books in from elsewhere

But thanks anyway

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Your mission HOPPERS should you choose to accept it is to spread love and light to all those that you meet!!!
Now go out and allow yourself to pay it forward, maybe once a week or once a fortnight...
Then report back here for inspiration of what light other beautiful hoppers have spread and really make it count...
If there is any time that the world needs this type of love its RIGHT NOW. I love you all.

264 posts

Posted:
Hey Valura!
Okay, I was thinking about your challenge and had no idea how I was gonna start on it...

But the other day I unknowingly started it...hehe .
This is the story....
See, I bought my ticket to Sydney's Big Day Out ages and ages ago cause I was sooo keen to go - but my little bro (he's 18 and incredibly laid back - it's amazing he gets anywhere on time!) forgot to buy his ticket nice and early and subsequently missed out - however his girlfriend and all his mates got their tickets early and he was reallllly peeved.
So, I gave him my ticket....
I told that not only did he owe me big time but that he had to do three nice things for other people - no matter what sacrifice he made (and that it couldnt involve pot!) he scoffed a bit, but didnt exactly say no...!
I thought that there was no way that he would pass it on (well he hasnt technically as yet, but he did something nice for me!) but this morning I woke up to find a parcel on my desk with the following items in it:
* 3 burnt CD's of my favourite songs
* A $50 petrol voucher
* Three REALLY daggy Australian Flag hats and T-Shirts
* A clipping from a Newspaper

It was from my bro When I inquired about the Newspaper clipping he told me to read it properly - it was an ad saying that two people were selling their BDO tickets - on closer inspection it had my best friends mobile number on it.... My little bro had called my best friend for me and told him that what I had done with my ticket - my best friend then said that he and another good friend of mine would sell their tickets and stay with me - so my bro paid for their adverts and helped them plan an awesome weekend in Sydney for the Australia Day weekend - which is supposedly where the daggy t-shirts and hats are going to be worn! The CD's are for the trip down and the voucher is so I dont have to fork out for fuel (which ALWAYS happens when I go road tripping with my besties!)
How sweet is that! Thing is, for the majority of the time my bro and i dont see eye to eye....so this is pretty cool...!
Whadda ya think? Inspiration for more I think...!
Rach

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yea, I'm kinda struggling to get my head round this and I have been thinking about it. I started typing a reply yesterday and had to stand back a minute cause I thought I might be missing something. I have found that although I hadn't done anything big for anyone I had learnt that to introduce selfless kindness into your environment does make it a better place to live in.

I was going to tell how I got up on saterday and cleaned my apartment and cooked everyone I live with breakfast in bead and how everyone started doing stuff for each other instead of the usual, do as little as possible. It's made it a nicer place to live since. I kinda didn't say it cause like you say Rach it was kinda to pay me back (even though I never asked) rather than paying it forward. Though the there was an element of paying it forward in our little community because you'd be paying forward to anyone who hadn't pulled their weight yet.

It kinda goes against the idea of paying forward in a way but I think the general lesson I learned is that it doesn't take big things to make the world around you a better place. To chang peoples attitudes through kindness might not be impossible. Maybe on person can make a difference. The biggest problem I see (and peopl in the book saw) was trusting people to pay it forward but if you do and give small things who cares, at least your trying.

That's a really cool story btw Rach, especially since you don't always see eye to eye, just goes to show how people can react to something big. I wish you were my sister too, you're great you are.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Rach... You have the spirit of Pay It Foward COMPLETLY worked out...
What a damn SWEETIE you are... Your brother would have felt so good because he knew that someone loved him and was willing to give up their own fun by allowing him to take your place....
What an amazing sister.
Non-Https Image Link

It seems that already he has gotton into the spirit of tings by planning you a surprise. THATS whats important prehaps....that people feel good about each other and promote feelings of good will to everyone...not just strangers...AWWWW SHUCKS you dang gone given me warm fuzzys....

Non-Https Image Link

Deepsoulsheep...
quote:
originally posted by deepsoulsheep
I think the general lesson I learned is that it doesn't take big things to make the world around you a better place. To chang peoples attitudes through kindness might not be impossible. Maybe one person can make a difference.
Thats exactly right my friend...one person can make a diffrence and it matters not about the action but maybe the intent of the action...you are making an effort to make this world a better place and thats whats important...
These posts have inspired me today....Im going to go out and practise random acts of kindness and maybe then a Pay It Foward situation will jump out and bite me on the bum...(but not to hard I hope...lol) I will report as soon as I get a chance...
Thank you guys for making a diffrence...we never know what our actions today may bring about for someone tomorrow...So much love and light to you.
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

264 posts

Posted:
I think that this thread should be one of those magical threads that has over a hundred replies!!

I want to echo Valura's challenge - These days, there is so much stuff around to worry about and so many things to make people feel a little down, that everyone needs a warm fuzzy every now and then...!
Go out and do something for someone the next chance you get - without being asked for a favour - even if you aren't sure that they'll pass it on three fold. Do something for someone just for the sake of making them feel good - I guarantee you'll feel good too!
It can be something as simple as dropping in to visit a friend you havent seen in a while, cleaning the flat for your flatmates and making them breakfast (like deepsoulsheep did! ) or even buying your Mum a bunch of flowers.... little stuff oftens counts as much as big stuff does!
I've been reading post after post on this discussion board and it's so great to see so many positive, friendly people - so go out and spread the love peoples!
Remember, smiles are contagious
So, head out, make someone's day and then report back and share some warm fuzzies with the rest of us....
Rach

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
Okay, y'all have me so excited to read this book! Last night I mentioned it at dinner and my parents both sounded intested. In my wanderings today, I finally got a library card (I moved here over 4 months ago and had been shirking off the trip to the library). So I picked up a copy to read and when I got home, my mom had placed a copy on my bed and she had got one for herself. Now we have three copies of the book in my house! I can't wait to crawl into bed tonight with it....

sweet dreams

~cage

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

264 posts

Posted:
Take tissues with you Cage....
Let us know what you thought of it when you finish.....
Rach

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
'k, you got it!

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

Page: