Forums > Other Toys > Short top hat v's bowler hat

Login/Join to Participate

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking of asking for a hat for my birthday. I have learnt a few tricks, but I'm pretty much a begginer. So is there any difference between these two styles of hat when manipulating them?

I'm undecided as to which style I like better as well. I've only ever tried the bowler style, which is the type we have at juggling club.

These are the two I'm considering.

(doesn't that guy look really grumpy about wearing those hats!)

So anyway, I was just wondering whether one style is easier to learn with, or whether it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I have no idea which is better...

I think the Top Hat looks better, though...

The real reason I posted was to suggest to you (if you weren't already) trying to buy it through your juggling society/club. You can save approx. 50% that way...

Although Beard state that you shouldn't really do this, as the special price is there for the society, not the member, there is a way around it. Something like you not ordering from Beard, but purchasing it from the society... smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
some pros and cons, from a hat lover:

top hat:
+ looks much better(imo)
+ rolls in a more interesting way
+ can be worn as a costume piece too
+ more exlusive: more people own bowlers
- when out of shape is crap(tis possible to reshape, i'm just lazy)
- doesn't travel well(needs hat box)
- harder to share tricks with others as more people have bowlers

bowler:
+ stacks up really well(can travel with multiple hats)
+ easier to share tricks with others
+ spinnable(which a topper most definitely isn't)
+ stays easily useable even when really battered
- not nearly as stylish
- common as muck wink
- not so good as a costume piece, as its not really a bowler...

both are just as easy to learn basic tricks with, so don't worry 'bout that. its almost definitely just a style question..

and all the edinburgh types have toppers wink

love
Rob

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Gotta get me a hat.

It's on my list.

Oh wait, I have one.

Neeto.

Gotta get me a better hat.

Oh, and I don't think there's any point to a hat that doesn't look good when you wear it. There are better toys if you just want a toy. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
You may have seen this place already but..... well incase you hadn't HERE'S a link

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey thanks for that link, I hadn't found it (mainly due to laziness I'm afraid spank). I think I will go for the top hat style. I was leaning that way, but I've never tried one. I think they look more stylish though. Not that I can really imagine myself walking down the streets of Glasgow wearing it, unless I want to get attacked by neds!

Plus if the hat manipulation doesn't work out I can always become a magician instead. Thanks for the advice anyway, I'll just have to wait for my birthday now!

And LTC thanks for the tip, but unfortuately the juggling club won't be putting another order in until August, by which time I will be living in Yorkshire, so thats not much use to me. And the last order the club hardly got any reduction anyway.

Next question, can girls wear top hats? wink

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yes ubblove

i don't really know any hat manipulators in glasgow, but i'm sure you'll find some at the convention in a week and a bit biggrin

enjoy(now you just have to decide on colour....)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... That's odd, Holly..

Whenever I order from Beard, Directly through my Juggling Society, I can get a manipulation Hat for £31. That's a saving of £29, almost 50%...

Societies should get wholesale prices... Maybe something you might want to look into?

smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Ed- Yes thats probably about right actually, but like I say, there's not another order until august, and I'd like one as soon as possible as it'll give me something to do in that oh so small room of mine.

Plus, I know its a very long way away but in about a year and a half, theres a local variety show I'd like to be in, and do something as well as poi. I'd really like it to be some sort of hat manipulation routine. but I've got to learn how to do it first, and develop my own style, hence the long time scale. And it would be useful to be able to do something else well, as I'm starting to do performances, and my three club cascade, doesn't really cut it! I can practice hats inside, and it has the potential to be expressive, thats why I like it.

And Rob- Graham (aka Fuzzy?!, organises the Scottish) in Glasgow can do some hat manipulation, I haven't seen him do much, so I don't know what he's capable of, he's probably quite good, but he's been really helpful in teaching me some of the basics. Other than that, I don't think there are many people.

smile

Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK... New Problem.

So I was almost thinking about contemplating learning a few hat tricks or two... but Hat tricks tend not to look cool.

Which is strange since Hats are obviously very cool. And similar object manipulation like bar flair is cool. But you put the two together and it looks goofy.

Most of the hat manipulation I've seen tends to remind me of a bad French Mime.

Anybody have any hat resources/videos that don't feel like they should have the "Benny Hill Theme" playing behind them?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Yey! Thank god for conventions! I'm getting a hat for £40, they didn't have any top hats left at the convention, so I'm picking one up either at chocfest, or from their HQ when I'm down in yorkshire next week. (Which suits me as it means I can ask for it as an early birthday pressie and don't have to pay for it + it's not as expensive for my Dad - everyones happy smile )

I can't wait to get stuck in.

NYC - I'll keep a look out for you, or maybe you should request something from Drew wink

Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: pricklyleaf

NYC - I'll keep a look out for you, or maybe you should request something from Drew wink

Everybody keeps telling me Drew is cool but I just don't see it.

Maybe it's a British thing.

wink
hug
kiss

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
NYC looking cool isn't everything. Give it up and just have fun looking a bit "goofy"! ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
stiff

stiff is better than cool, like frozen

im stiff.

just writing this.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
learning hat tricks is hard... you don't look cool picking up a hat you've dropped

my bowler hat learning is a bit slow but i think its cos I can't juggle very well. Hat tricks can look cool...i think anyways!

Bowlers let you do rolls more easily but toppers let you pinch them more I think

Yeah for hats!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

arnarnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
i do a bit of hat manipulation. personly, i like fedoras. there a bit less than round, but it still works, and fedoras just have this flair to them that no other hat seems to have

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Hey the Benny Hill theme tune is cool.
And so is the supergran theme tune too smile
NYC, I lst the thread a bit- What were you saying smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nyc - you need to see this routine: hip-hop hats.

in fact, you were at play, so you have probably seen it already smile

i don't have video of it but i do have a link to an unbelievably good hat routine (with bonus a 3 ball routine in front and a 3 cigar box routine after): kris kremo ubbrollsmile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood