Forums > Social Discussion > opinions please - possible trouble brewing at work

Login/Join to Participate

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'm doing a PhD and have an account for paying the research material, travelling costs, ccomputers etc. Now a while ago I ordered a computer through it, and it's been decided that there would be 2 ordered because they were so cheap at the time.

Today I found out (more or less by coincidence) that actually both computers were ordered through my account. The way I found out was one of my supervisors asking "what's your account number again?". After asking it was "yes, you've got more money than you'll spend on computers anyways, and it's just a few hundred pounds".

(Leave aside that I'm not exactly used to thinking of a few hundred pounds as being "just" a few hundred pounds)

So I decided to ask my prof about it, and he said, yes, if there's more money than necessary in someone's account, it goes out to communal stuff as well. Now I knew this, and that he has the final decision about whose money's being spent on what, even though my sponsors pay a few thousand pounds of "bench fees" which means communal stuff. But I pointed out that it would've been better if someone had told me, just so I could keep track of my account, and he said he thought I knew, and he'll have a word with her, because this wasn't right.

Now, this means I'm either in for being ignored by her for a month or so, or I'll be ignored by her and 2 or 3 other people as well, or there'll be a huge confrontation, or there will just be silence and everyone will pretend it hasn't happened until the next thing happens.

I almost wish I hadn't gone to my prof (even though he said I should tell him if it happened again). I hate this situation! Why couldn't she just have asked me in the first place, and I would've grudgingly said "okay, go for it"! If she'd known my account number, I never would've found out frown

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
if shes a bitch about it file a formal complaint itll get her ass properly kicked and she wont mess you round again

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I just *HATE* it when people can't be open and friendly about things in the first place. I think it's probably the last bit of idealism left inside me that noone I know would be doing stuff they didn't want to be done to them... been disillusioned about it at least 5000 times and still believe in it shrug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

I just *HATE* it when people can't be open and friendly about things in the first place.

[devilsadvocate]

why did you go to your prof about this issue than rather than privately approaching her and asking her, friendly and politely, to be more clear in future if she wishes to make purchases using funding stored in your account?

[/devilsadvocate]

hope it turns out to be less of a disaster than you forsee.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I had just typed up a hugely long explanation of how things have been done in the past and why, at this point, I have given up on trying to achieve anything directly talking to her. It's too much internal stuff though, not very interesting, and basically a bit embarrassing given that this is uni and it should all be so much easier. Just believe me when I say this is the first time in 18 months of my PhD that I have complained to someone in a higher position instead of only the person involved, and that even today I tried the direct approach which was cut off dead.

I'll probably delete this thread tomorrow - I'm already not sure I should've put all the internal things on the web :|

(G.W. Dahlquist)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wait... you're afraid, if you piss her off, you'll be IGNORED?

I wish I had coworkers like that. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ah dont worrie about it! Go and see your prof and ask if what he did, see if he approched it gently, see if she got pissed off or not, then you can stop worriing. Itle probably turn out to be nothing and even if it does jsut nip it in the bud and explain to her where you where coming from and she will understand. If she still dosent shes a bitch and its her progblem.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys smile

NYC, I just don't like people being pissed off with me. I'm such a whore for attention wink redface

(G.W. Dahlquist)

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
It's unlikely that she'll be pissed off if she's a reasonable person (big if nowadays). It was probably an innocent mistake on her part but, still, a mistake. Good luck them sweetie.

P.S. I took the big bag back with me last night (made sure it was the right one). Hope that's alright.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Sure smile My room's currently crowded with Samhuinn costume bits and I doubt the flatmate would like tons of juggling equipment in the living room (she's scared of me killing the glass table...)

A bit less stressed now - mood at work is quite good today, and I have tons of work to be busy with, and I'll be picked up by the boyfriend who says he has a little present smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
aw, brilliant smile

glad things are going better, good luck sorting this!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....