Forums > Social Chat > If i had't found poi........

Login/Join to Participate

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I have been thinking recently what the hell would I be doing now if I had not waltzed along to the little place near my foundation course, where people teach eachother how to spin things to make purdy patterns?

Ok this is the last time i'm going to talk about depression, but at that point in my life, I was in desparate need, I was still desperatly shy, one day a noticed that there was a guy in my class doing perculiar things with socks, wierd orange socks. He had mentioned a workshop, and I plucked up the courage to do something new and check this thing out.

Before I knew it I had found some, now, very important people in my life.

From a shy odd arty loner, to a happy confident arty person who can't count how many friends they have in the world if they tried.

I love you guys all of you, you know who you are ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove

I'm a lucky jem biggrin

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i dont think i'm one of them ubbloco

hoorah for you!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
dont you like me? wink

I'm sure if I ever did meet you, you'd be added to the list cool

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
hug

Poi saves lives, it's true.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

marmaladeSILVER Member
journeyman
72 posts

Posted:
...at the very least you're guaranteed a conversation topic when you're meeting someone new! biggrin

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
kelly

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I hear you Jem. I have similar stories to tell. Shoot, before I found poi my life revolved around a computer game. In fact, I was more active in my online character's life than in my real one. Then one day by chance I ran into this website and from then on, things were different. I eventually met a group of spinners based nearby and they quickly became my friends. Everything I knew before that went out the window as my life was completely changed by poi. God knows what Id be doing right now if I hadnt found poi.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
No dramatic changes for me, just a real sense of doing something for me, the real me - a re-discovery, but no less life-changing for that.

Some of the happiest times I've had since last September have either been on HoP or with HoPpers, I've met some truly lovely people who I'm pleased and proud to call my friends and the fact they seem to feel the same about me is sweet balm to my low self-esteem - I'm really starting to relax and trust people and not be afraid to be myself.

So thank you HoPpers one and all - the one's I don't know are just friends waiting to be met hug

Not only that it's just so much FUN! weavesmiley bounce bounce2 Can't wait to do my cv/resume again - always struggled with 'Hobbies' ubblol

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
If it wasn't for poi, I'd have many more unbroken things in my flat. Now that would not be cool! biggrin

Im genarally fidgety, so if it were not for my poi, I would probably have no social circle, know no nice people,and build a lot of puzzles.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

SDLWSILVER Member
326 posts

Posted:
Last year was about the worst ive had and if it hadnt have been for a freind encouraging me to take up poi and meeting all the nice people i have id most liekly still be in a heap somewere or involved so copletely in a online game id have trouble telling what reality was

Tell me and I forget, Show me and I remember, Involve me and I understand

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
When I've learnt the reverse 5bt... that's when I'll go out and be sociable wink biggrin But I do love it. Something beautiful to do alone, or with friends on a summer day.

A good excuse for a get-together smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I've a pretty optomistic personality 99% of the time these days, if i hadn't found poi i'm sure i'd have found something else and having fun. Every now and then when I'm moving out of one hobby and wonder what's next something else comes along. I have however gotten a lot of enjoyment out of learning poi/staff, the people i've met as a result and many fun days/nights out as a result. There's not many hobbies I've had which are as enjoyable and cheap. smile

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
Id have more money(so far ive spent £45 on them)
Id have less bruises and less broken light bulbs.
Id also have less confidence and smile less. Its amazing how much your confidence you get when you spin out frount of a collage, and how much you smile when people stand and stare at you in amazement (like this eek and this wow )
I would also have never found HOP, so i would have a smaller 'Ohana.

(p.s. if you havent seen lilo and stich, 'ohana means family)

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
If it wasnt for poi & the purdy patterns that you mentioned Jem, I would never had made my first set of fire poi over ten years ago, leading to running my own business, then selling up leading to the continueing firey walk of life that I now lead...Oh what a journey...and hooooray for firey twirly goodness...To be sure.

Nice post by the way.... smile smile smile

ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Kombi guy (1116600161)

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
I found Poi just in time for my exams so it helped alot with the stress. But i dunno if i can say it really helped me deal with/ vent my depression and anger coz at about the same time, i hurt myself pretty bad and shocked myself into seeing a shrink. I also got a boyfriend so any, and more likely all of those could have improved my life, although id like to think it was poi biggrin
It definately helped.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I might have done a bit better at uni
I might have gone straight into a well paid and soul destroying job that would have left me thinking "surely there's more to life than this?"
I almost certainly wouldn't have gone travelling
I wouldn't have met so many amazing people, so different (in a good way) from how I was brought up
I would actually have less self confidence than I do now (not much)
My hair would be shorter

Good thread!

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
posotivly tispy post here , but ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubbangel

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well, I would still be performing and doing what I do but...and for me it is more of if I hadn't have come along Home of Poi more than poi.

I would not have the burn scars I have, but I also would not have the memories associated with them, all of which are fabulous.

I would probably not have the upper body stamina that I have now wink

But more than anything are the people. I would not have met or known so many of the astoundingly wonderful people I have come to call friends, a couple who have come to be my best friends, or been inspired in the many directions they have lead me outside of poi. People whom I know will still be my friends and love me, even if I ever put down my poi (as if! weavesmiley )

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
Poi and poiple make the bad things go away... Thats how it seems sometimes anyway.

weavesmiley + hug = biggrin

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i would still be on meds, have a couple of friends and never of travelled out of my own town on my own with no idea what i want to do with my life.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Twisted ClownBRONZE Member
102 posts

Posted:
poi r cool poi and staff and flags r cool.... v cool weavesmiley weavesmiley biggrin biggrin weavesmiley weavesmiley

but i cant help but think to myself sometimes that if i didnt start making purdy patterns with poi and stuff that i wouldnt of had to buy shares in lightbulbs confused confused confused

There may be one for everyone but what if there is two for three would that mean none for someone or did they start off without one....

EpsilonKiasNote to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
107 posts

Posted:
Well... I know if I didnt find poi I wouldive been bored outta my mind the year sense I started to spin

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dixie

Poi and poiple make the bad things go away...

hug hug hug hug hug
ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove ubblove
hug hug hug hug hug
weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
smile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
"boing" bounces off.......

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't have sorted my shoulders out nearly as much as I did as quickly as I did. Actually, I wouldn't have sorted my posture out as much at all as arashi wound up giving me the last kick in the arse, so to speak, this summer. So I'd be in more pain.

I wouldn't have met dom, or kinudin, or dr mike, or judith, or vern. So I wouldn't have travelled all over the place when I got to university, or met some of my best friends :eep:

I wouldn't have met a lot of people... but those are the ones I met like three years ago, who have changed the arc of my life a lot more so far!

Then I stopped spinning seriously, and I stopped posting here as well (I still don't spin as much now as I did in days gone by, but ... I'm back here biggrin).

But I wouldn't have had people to go and places to see this summer when I needed to get away from everything happening back home. And I wouldn't have so many absolutly amazing people to talk to. I wouldn't have an extra place to stay when I was going to york... ok, I wouldn't even be going to york cause thats a direct result of this summer's trip... and I wouldn't be applying to go back to university next year either.

There's some other effects too. But I think thats enough! Goodness..... (Oh, I prolly would have been a lot more depressed in the first few months when i picked them up as well, I got lots of exercise and socialization from them....)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
If I hadn't found poi, I would have no-one to look down upon, saying that their "Object manipulation" is easy.

tongue

(calm down)

Willy - is bad for your health...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ha ha ha...*pats lemonkey on back and runs away to hide* nana

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I really should edit that post, to further enphasise my joking...

frown

Willy - is bad for your health...

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
if i didnt have poi.... i would have spent way too much of summer online or doing nothing much

i would not have meet the people who i now count good friends

i would not have an amazing hobby to talk about with people who i will meet at uni (tomorrow eek)

back

screechcircling on the edge of madness
889 posts

Posted:
if i hadn't found poi i wouldn't have got to know mynci

and where would i be now if that hadn't happened probably propping up the bar in my local pub every hight of the week

sounds fun actually why did i have to find poiubblol

finland finland finland
the country where i want to be
pony trekking or camping
or just watching tv