Forums > Social Chat > Travel companions..advice please

Login/Join to Participate

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
This is a part rant, part asking for advice from those who have been thre done that!

as i think most of you know, I have been travelling around Turkey for the last week and a half. And half of that has been just with a girl called "Mandy" (the other people left at various points to go to various other places). She is one of the english teachers in Romania with the same organisation as me.

shes a nice girl. i like her. but i could only ever take her in small doses. but what did stupid me think when she suggested a 8 day tour of turkey? i thought that it would be all good and i would get over it...yep, i can see some of you shaking your heads already!

and i hate to say it but i need to get it out - i am so sick of her! we are completely different people! she is really absent minded, but headstrong at the same time! she has no concept of time (its always me having to wake her up for the bus!) and she has no tact or discretion whatsoever!!! she meets americans and the first thing she asks them is "did you vote for george bush cos you are an idiot if you do. americans are stupid. they voted for george bush"

then ther's her telling everyone about my love life before i have even met thm! I met a nice guy in turkey, and Mandy told nearly everyon she met! i wouldnt have even been introduced to them yet and she'd have tld them "thats my friend beth. now do you see that guy ober there...?" and then she'd go on about it for the rest of the night so in the end i would jut go along ith it. then the next day she'd accuse me of showing off!!

and today we had to make it to the romanian consulate to extend our visas..and when we should have been leaving she was chatting away ignorning me politely saying "mandy..." and when we got the the consulate (after we missed the tram stop...and yes, the consulate was on her side of the tram) it was too late! we have to go bac at 3pm! and i know enough about bureaucracy to know that at 3pm it will be too late to get our VISA done today. but she's all like "oh we can ask them nicely and explain to them that we are volunteers..." if that works i will publically declare on here that i was wrong.

so thats my rant in a nut shell.

my time with her is nearly up. i have about 5 days max left with her, so i have done the hard haul. but please, someone, anyone; advice on how to survive these next 5 days?

EDITED_BY: Rouge Dragon (1112267480)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
You're just going to have to grin and bear it. After it's over you won't have to deal with her anymore, just look on the positives. In life we're going to be around a lot of people we don't get along with, but that's life really.

It's just one bad week in a how many months are you there?! You'll be fine. smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i have another to add...she is one of those people who tries to speak in english to non english speakers. she just slows down her speech.

we were at macdonalds today and she asked for "no mayo". no mayo? think a bulgarian understands what mayo is?

and now i make a pulic apology cos we did get our visas in a record half an hour. cos we told the embassy that it was their fault cos they werent open at their proposed hours! then he told u we couldnt get multiple entry visas - single only! watch us get in trouble when we it romania from our bosses!

yeah, sorry. ive been or a walk out in the cold air and im feeling a shyte better now! no doubt we will hae our moments again. but sorry for taking up space with my rant!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
No worries mate, that's what friends are for. smile

I crashed in on an ex tonight just to offload that my creepy brother was too weird to drive me and my (on-crutches!) daughter 10 minutes to the airport this afternoon!!! This being a person who doesn't work and has nothing more to do with his day than to sit around talking about himself. spank mad
Then it was balanced at the other end by a person who spontaneously offered to pick us up and drove us home.. ubbangel out of his way and in the middle of all sorts of other work and obligations.

These things have to be dumped and moved on from. (Give us strength!) And let yourself know that if you really need to you could just walk away from her.. there might be costs attached but hey... it's possible. You're not in prison with her! (that would be a good one to avoid ubbloco wink )

It's always easier to say 'yes' to a situation (in whatever way is appropriate) when you remember your freedom to say 'no'.

Good you had a rant and glad you got your visa! Wicked you're in Turkey. I've always wanted to go there! Some day....
wave

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
codone.....makes total apathy a cinch biggrin

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
personally in situations like that i have a LARGE bowl and then laugh myself to death....

did i leave the iron on?