Forums > Social Discussion > Poi and omega makes you smarter?

Login/Join to Participate

jennyannejnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
OK so just a question to put to all of you ..... does twirling, spinning, juggling, playing (enter own verb here) with your poi, staffs, clubs (you get the gist?) make you smarter????

I remember at school being made to do brain gym exercises, e.g. making big circular motions crossing over the left and right of the body with your arms to get the left and right brain hemispheres to interact....kinda like a quick geek warmup.

If it's the same motion
Does it increase our general notion?
juggle

get up stand up

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

I love this sort of stuff.

While I was in Cambodia I met a scottsman who could read a paragraph and the write the notes for it while he was reading the next paragraph. He could also write two different things at the same time.

most impressive

Love is the law.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Research shows that exercise increases brain power to an extent, but nowhere near as much as was popularly believed.

Other research shows that these co-ordination exercises are meant to be good for treating dyslexia, the idea being that part of the brain is underdeveloped (causing dyslexia) and that this area is also responsible for co-ordination. Hence increasing co-ordination developes said brain area, so reducing dyslexia.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I’ve heard about the left and right brain hemispheres thing, and I like the dyslexia theory. But does that make you smarter?

I was under the impression that you had to exercise the brain as in brain exercises, like doing mental arithmetic, or memory exercises etc. to become smarter.

Not sure, good question though.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
it seems to me that the dyslexia theory comes the closest to answer the question.. i think it doesnt necessarily make you smarter in the general IQ, mathematics, linguistics sort of fashion, but it helps your coordination and aids in the development of using both hands seperately.. i suppose it also develops both halves of the brain and maybe even the interaction between the two halves.

when i started with poi i noticed this was a big problem for me as i couldnt do many stalls and things of the sort.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
it depends on what you consider smart. i dont think spinning will help you to name all the species of insects in the world by memory, but i've heard it can effect your brain in some positive way. it certainly wont make you stupider(unles you start inhaling the fumes ;P)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
there was a recent official survey which concluded that juggle makes you smarter so i guess poi does too. i'd find you a link if i could but it was in all the papers... biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
well my son who has behaviour problems as well as concentration problems has been actually taking omega3 for the past 6 months and its helped but since learning poi i have found his concentration not just with poi but with everything else has improved.
i don't know about making him smarter as he is already 5-6 years above with his reading age and 2-3 years ahead accademicaly but his problems are the things holding him back. its SAT's year for him this year and so if this pattern continues i will be teaching him more poi just to keep his concentration up.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: duballstar

there was a recent official survey which concluded that juggle makes you smarter so i guess poi does too. i'd find you a link if i could but it was in all the papers... biggrin

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3417045.stm

hug juggle juggle juggle juggle weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
fact of the day: apparently the best natural source of omega 3 is herring. we used to eat a lot of the traditionally but lately they're not fashionable despite the fact they're one of the most abundant fish in the north sea. we should be eating more of them as this would save our fishing industry and would be a good replacement to the species which are currently being over fished... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
he doesn't like fish..lol so he has the oil infact its flax-seed oil ? on spelling.
my youngest loves fish so we don't have to try and feed him the oil which really doesn't taste nice... well by the looks on the faces of those who taste it ubblol ubblol