Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > elitist swan song *DELETED* *DELETED*

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by arashi

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
dammit why can't I make the conch make a noise?? Arashi can you explain how to blow into it properly to make the sound come out please? ubbangel

By the way I noticed this was your 1678th post and you're also the 1678th member! I wonder if the path to this post was predetermined on 21st March 2002?

I think you doth worry too much Arashi, don't stress out...chill out!

Teach to whom you please, learn as much as possible, jump the barriers and drown in the water trap of language. It's poi, it's the way it is. Text is a pain in the ass when describing poi as poi is language-less. If only we could all post our thoughts into video eh! It would save so much bother.
As for others calling you elitist etc, you can always ignore them and carry on regardless smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
wow that's really cosmic! meditate peace
now i'm gonna have to do the math/numerology on that one.
anyways...

nuuUUUuuh uuUUUuuuhh!!!

i'm going back to flirting with fire girls in social! ubblove
i hear rumor of this oversexed girl named "pounce" wink
hopefully she's been keeping the boards steamy while i was away devil biggrin

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
typing noise... click..... click.click
"so... I've decided to take my work back underground. To stop it falling into the wrong hands."
typing noise. click..... click......click
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hugs hug to ya Homeboy
wave
What is all this nonsense, things are going a bit poo on HOP frown

So, log off, head back to your hot tub in the dome,
and when the sun goes down light up them poi and dance.
and remember whats important about life and poi and stuff. ubbangel

Love, light, learning and lurking again
A

One day, I'll write a post nearly as long as your essay and call it "learning moves or the 2nd longest post ever."
One day......

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Aww that's a shame. You're right about the trouble with definitions and everyone getting their wires crossed but still, I and a lot of others have got a lot of stuff out of your posts when we've taken the time to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

This is why we're trying to have a list of agreed definitions on Spherculism. It's never going to be complete or cover everything, but it should help. Not sure why you say "i've been shut out of spherculism" though? frown

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
What is a fountain anyway? wink

hug

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hug

disagreed with you in the past and i'm sure in the future, but i recognise and applaud all the hours sepent; and hope you get what you need/want out of time off HoP, be it flirting, poiing, fooling around(or all three at the same time). and hopefully someday the world will understand.

smiles
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:

Fair enough - I know where youre coming from, it does take ages to do the text description definition thing. I dont think I learn much this way anymore, and Ive committed to travelling round the world looking for masters, people with a deep and thorough understanding of swinging / twirling motion. I reckon I found a few in my last trip round.

I just wish you could tell us all where to find all the people who are masters. Obviously telling this information wouldnt detract from their mastership - its not like they are going to be inundated with people travelling for 100s (or in the case of Oz 1000s) of miles to learn unless they are generally interested. What kind of a master would mind sharing some of their knowledge with a student that has travelled round the world to meet them?

After all this obscurity, cant you at least share the simple to understand and priceless knowledge of the whereabouts of the true to life masters? That would be a true gift to the art IMHO.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
arashi-
cheers man, for all the cryptic stuff you've posted in the last couple o' years... without any doubt, i've learned more poi by trying to work out what you mean than from any videos or descriptions. particularly when i was just getting past the basics, which helped me build a nice frame to hang moves on, and later find new ones by filling in the gaps... (which i guess was the point smile )

cheers!

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Even if you think you are misunderstood people get their own ideas and inspiration out of it and create something new you might learn from them in the future. Although I did not understand most of your threads in the beginning I got my own understanding out of your descriptions and this way improved my spinning.
As a teacher dont be too eager to convince people of your ideas - if one is wrong he will find out that he is wrong. Sooner or later. But you cant force him to his luck. Everyone has his own way of learning.
At the moment the system we think in is our biggest restriction.

cheers

andy

Play with an open mind and you learn every second

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Arashi - you don't have to be an elitist to give up!

I gave up on trying to sort out WTF people were talking about long ago. Every so often I check the moves section and see if there is a post I can decipher - sometimes there isbut usually not, and they quickly get out of hand if they do start out in a way I can understand.

I just can't handle keeping up with all the advanced terms, definitions and what have you. You survived a lot longer than I did!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
in the absence of my pm until after the weekend (sorry dude but you know how real life tends to get in the way of all this spinny stuff sometimes redface) i will say just this:

Written by: someone far wiser than i...

to realise that our knowledge is ignorance

this is a noble insight

to regard our ignorance as knowlege

this is mental sickness

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
hey man, i have a lot of respect for the time you spend describing and defining ideas with people on these boards. as poibox and tenticle have said we learn a lot just trying to bend our heads round some of the tech discussion. even if we don't arrive at the moves you've been describing we find variations and new ideas ourselves, the end result being people such as yourself help push forward creativity and poi related thinking as a whole. if you are gtting sick of this though (and your pc), take josh's advice and come visit us all on a world tour! there's nothing better than sharing, teaching and exploring ideas together face to face. biggrin as for elitism, we all know we're still learning and it's only those who forget that who fall into this trap!

remember, at the end of the day it's only poi... wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I thought you had to be GOOD to be elitist?

eek

hug ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I can appreciate your feelings on this one. I very rarely post any new "moves" or variations any more (and I'm with you on the whole moves issue) because of the difficulties in conveying movement in text form, and very rarely bother to read any "new move" posts; this is from someone who has learnt using the HoP naming system. I have a lot of respect for you (and anyone else) who has actually taken the time to try to understand and clarify these posts, and to try to understand anyone else's notation. To be shouted down because you're using the "wrong" terminology is grossly unfair.

However, the only people losing out from you stopping posting will be those who are actually trying to come to some concensus of opinion with you. It seems to me that the people who disagree with the terms you use are going to take one look at a post, think "I can't understand that", post something unpleasant and move on. More fool them.

Of course, it would give you far more time for spinning. Much better for those of us who one day might actually meet you. biggrin

Finally, an offer. If you're "intermediate", I class myself as "novice", but if you're willing to meet sometime at Burning Man, it might be possible to come to some conclusion on the whole stupid naming of moves issue. No text based descriptions, just "I call this motion ......, what do you call it?" Just an idea. Nothing to do with me wanting some inspiration AT ALL! ubbangel

I think that's possibly my longest ever post. Woo.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
you know.. this kinda pisses me off... (like what doesnt right..) but with good reason..

We all make mistakes.. I make them all the time.. and get called for it.. thinking something falls this way or that.. the problem i have is even the great ones.. know how limited and meaningless the terms "hyperloop" and "airwrap" were... I can do an airwrap and/or hyperloop in several ways that are nothing alike.. in fact.. anyone who has dedicated any time to understanding the link phenomena understands that it works on the same as our wrists and arms do.. and so have the same degree of variance.. I never said these terms never had meaning.. or served any purpose.. I just felt that if they were to stay -in- use, they should be -of use- or else why speak in sensible words at all.. EVEN the great ones admitted that fault even though they never wanted to see the word carry meaning again.. and arashi I hate to say.. but that was -NEVER- our disagreement.. unlike hyperloop and airwrap... Inverted is a loaded term.. that could mean a number of things.. and STILL be applicable.. I admit that several points I have misused that term perhaps in the use of planes (i would have to reread that thread form way long ago).. I never argued on what inverted should have been, and when it was pointed that perhaps what I used as inverted didn coincide with your definitions it came down to a point or relativity.. and I admitted that fault before any arguments could ensue.. the problem as I see is on both our ends and always has... I AM THE STUDENT... never claimed anything more.. I'm the anynoying guy in class that asks question after question, problem is.. this isn't pre-school, this is grad school.. the questions are more challenging.. and though the professor may not always see why the questions need be answered, he fails in his role if he does not.. but the lines drawn are thus: On one hadn we have the professor side which does not (and sometimes can not) find the time or energy to explain things students.. It is hoped that he would pass this knowledge on to another so that though he may not be able to teach the information will live on.. this is never something you ever were OBLIGATED to do.. however.. do keep in mind that some of the argumentsand bitching have wasted more time then anything.. not only would simple answer have saved time and energy at the computer (whcih could have also been saved by not typing at all), but you would have made better use of your precious time.. My errs have been great as well in that I challenge everything.. as should everyone.. my challenges have not been for anything but the growth of the community.. Every question i ask prevents a question from being asked later or at least gets it outof the way so that should it ever araise it can be handled.. Accepting anything on blindfaith or even 'RESPECT" is bs.. and laughable.. Discussion must be had and things moved forward.. the greatest thing teaching has ever brought me is an awareness of how much I don't know.. and its from answering the same question several times, or even at length that most of the 'epiphanies' have happened.. and though you may not have answered my questions, I have sometimes challenged to fervently (sp?).. if I've learned anything from you its been to figure out thing myself.. and though I'm very thankful... I was already capable of doing that myself.. The problem is even as your word is not law, neither is mine.. Jsut because I raise an objection, doesnt meant that my word is any more valid.. and I guess that's the biggest part of this that I ahvent understood.. See you whine over having to explain things to me.. yet I had to make 3 more vid clips and still explain some, and still have you try it at home before you got the piece of piss that I was talking about.. Which is funny since I ahve a feeling that doesnt happen very much outside of each other.. I mean a lot of people tend to follow what you say.. and a lot of people tend to understand what i say.. however.. the fault being that we are somehow vitrually incapable of communicating to each other..

yeah.. so when I get to typing.. I tend to forget about things.. like spaces.. spaces are good..

there's a lot more to these issues as well man.. For instance, I don't think about how many people I offend when I disrespect someone like say you... but you also don't realize the people you offend when you dignify me with a page long rant, and 30hrs a week on HoP... yet, won't even humor some of the I guess 'less objectionable' content.. that makes people feel liek they don't matter.. and there's a lot of people out there that never get any responses from you and come others.. so there are other avenues on this base of elitism.. like some of the terms in poi, in has many connotations.. some true, some not so true..

I think one important thing to remember though.. is that I correct myself when I err.. I inform everyone where I err'd and move on the new path.. so its not like any 'misconceptions' passed on ever stick.. and though you don't have time to teach people some of us do.. and we also have the resources to bring it to people.. I can't say I've ever seen you spin.. hear lots of tales, I'm sure it's nice and all.. but right now.. your like a myth.. not saying you don't exist.. what I'm saying is there is a distance.. and there are plenty of capable people (not just me) that can pass this on to other people.. give people to the access by seeing the problem in a different view.. use different ways to explain the concept.. be able to provide video for people to go with the text.. etc.. when you refuse to discuss questions and objections, don't have time or means to make video then what?

there are plenty of people that sitll go through these boards that don't post these threads.. that do follow what is being said.. and though sometimes discusssion seem two sided wiht a wall between.. it doesnt mean the responses are all for that person.. just because I dont' ask it, doesnt mean someone else won't..

and to be honest.. Iv'e asked you this time and time before.. if its really a problem in text.. I'm NOT that far from you.. yes it is a drive.. but I'd make it... not something I could do much.. but.. you wouldnt' have to say a thing.. just post clips and let people discuss.. you know.. and you wouldnt have to do anything but let someone film you and get a good laugh at watching me spin.. lolsign

anyway.. next time i'll publish this stuff rather then post it.. title it.. "Treatise on Elitism.." but I'm going to go get more non-sber..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
Written by: Glåss

typing noise... click..... click.click
"so... I've decided to take my work back underground. To stop it falling into the wrong hands."
typing noise. click..... click......click

Don't worry...I cought the referance to one of the greatest albums ever produced.

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
prodigy wink

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I'm gona get smacked for this, but....

It is actually a good thing that we get our deffinitions all mixed up sometimes.

Think of it like this: I have developed things I never would have thought of, simply because posts were confusing me.

This taught me things.

Not neccisarily the things the thread weas trying to teach, but it helped me anyways. Something is better than nothing huh?

So, I give my thanks to all the people who have tried or succedded in teaching something, anything... hug

Lets put it this way, you put together words in an arangement, and this arangement describes a movement. So, if you get the words wrong you end up with a different movement. WHich is good. It drives the development in semi random directions. Which is, again, a good thing!

ubblove

So, thank you, all you confusing teachers out there. I think you know who I'm talking about... biggrin

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
your inspiration is not just technical - you're a freakin' inspiration arashi-san!
i want ya to know that i know you know that, wherever your path goes!
yoo rock bro!

bill

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
picks up conch as he runs past

my older friends

thanks for the words and we all know how we feel about each other... many of you are my inspirations too (bluecat you're in here too i got no hard feelings, you think i'm an elitist and what can i do except not care and know that we'll meet and things will be cool)(plus you can do suicide airwraps eek and that's just eek)

didn't mean this to end up being an "arashi thanks we ruv you"rolleyes thing i just want to spend less time here and amid the labels of elitist ism i want to be clear about why i'm running away from the box. but i think we all could spend less time here if we weren't taking in circles. which brings me to

rev

i wish i knew who i've "ignored"

i really want to go back and ask a lot of people things, what they are taking about for instance, but simply can't do it all. for example icon in the inverted thread said some REALLY cool stuff that i asked him about cause i didn't understand but haven't had time to pester him yet. which is why i've spent so much time lately talking to you, rev, because if i could get you on our side you have the energy and the video and the brain to help, but first you have to slow down and see what everybody's definitions really mean. coleman i feel understands this issue and really puts effort into keeping ideas connected with links.

i've been arguing with you so much for a really good treason.. as an investment to save time for all of us. even now as we are finally getting the "majic moment" first rays under the clouds i'm spending way too much time! but it will blossom soon and i can go away for a bit and actually practice and EVOLUTION will happen with or without me. when you can see that i'm investing, if you go back and read every post i've talked to you in "pissy" terms starts with that fact. it's a step, in my intentions, toward a more productive and creative community here. (see my commment to josh)i don't know where elitist came in to this from other people i guess but i really feel like i could tell from your interactions with me that you felt that way about me. it was obvious, you would talk around me somehow. i'm really glad you are getting to this point with me, i really am. i've been beating my head against a wall here, because we are on the brink of either a splintering apart and clique BS happpening or a grand coming together, worldwide, of philosophies. the video geeks like you guys will be able to talk to the low tech common hoppers in one grand understanding. we will all quantum leap.

josh.

i say, why worry- WE hoppers can all be there together much quicker if we take the time to actually understood each other here. there's some badasses here and we'll really rock if we have worldwide army of fire artists. i'm trying to help create a fire empire and if we are all friends we can work together and tour the world and create worldwide gatherings. and i bet the old geeks like dantana and "mr. 20 years" would be magnetically sucked back here too if this place was a temple of respect and deference. (and badass spinners) but i'll answer your question better next chance i get.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Arashi.. its one of those things where.. the more you explain something.. the more you understand it yourself.. a Lot of you guys don't talk much.. don't express. much.. and certiainly are never present during a live taping.. lol.. and like I said.. it creates a gap.. between you guys and everyone else.. which is further knocked on when you make side references about things from either back when , or when you got togetrher or something.. some of them mean something.. some dont.. which further adds a level of wtf? for the rest of us.. it makes people feel like only some people get a response.. and usually by the nature of the response its some thing that only select group members understand.. maybe you guys talk all the time maybe not.. but all this just serves as dividers.. and then you come and tell us how we should just accept what is given.. never question what is given.. and by god never misinterpret, or as we call it around here learning .. some threads... get glass and you and others posting.. which lets us know you guys are here.. I mean if you are coming by from time to time.. and you are reading things.. what harm is it to drop a 'nice one' or similar on some of the other ones.. ... Trust me I know how much of a pain forums can be.. I keep up on what I consider the 4 majors (well 3 most of the time since one doesnt get much traffic) in order to try an keep what liitle hold I can on what is going on, and to pass on bits I've learned to as many people as possible.. and I mean there are days when jsut one fourm can wear you down.. (I couldn't imagine going through every section on some as well.. ) so yeah I understand it can be a pain.. all I'm saying is telling someone else 'nice one' takes all of like two seconds.. and shows that even though you may not always have time to post you are paying attn to just more then one or two people..
*sigh* I bring that up because even though most of the leet don't care much for me.. I am beginning to get identified with them.. and it pisses me OFF.. because my posts can get a response (whether good or bad) out of some of you guys.. so now I keep being asked not to become 'elite..' and that's why I'm noticing how a lot of these things could be gotten around.. a lot of these impressions made on people.. just by a little change.. because you can really debnuk a lot of these things from the get go...

people don't want you guys to not post.. but the thing is.. if you go away.. then what difference does it make to those who never got a response anyway.. it just serves to add spite you know... and it really hurts those that you did respond too.. because not all of them are in regular contact with you..

I know text is hard to deal with.. I've been fighting the text fight for a LONG time now.. and even though I know how much better video is.. text in my opinion will always be better, simply because there are things that just need to be expressed in other ways.. because evern though a video does wonders, inevitably there's always someone that asks how to do this.. or that.. which is why I feel the two should always go hand in hand.. (which in my case helps the fact that the cam I ahve is UBER shity.. and the text helps bring to life some things that arent' easy to spot) however, text ebing such a focus to me.. have resulted in a very critical analysis.. which brings us to the discrepencies or any other misinterpretation... which I think.. would not happen with the boon of video.. I've seen many of the elite in a clip here or there.. the MEANS ARE AVAILABLE and not used.. many whine over the misuse of an inadequate term, or misunderstandings, but fail to present what they wish to describe with means we know they have.. is too much to ask for 15 mintues a year.. I know each of them spin that much.. and could put any of it on film if they wanted (ie. like me filming you arashi).. it would require no words.. nothing to misinterpret.. and what little confusion there might have been.. would be worked out by those that have time to post..

I hear things like body movement.. how they love body movement.. that's something that is hard to describe.. solved quite effective on film.. people ask me how I pop up with all these little variations.. body movement.. you can spin a cricle where there isnt room so long as you move right.. but we never get any.. just something to the effect of "I've never seen anything that I would call world class spinning on HoP or any of the two COL vids I've seen.. " I believe is how you put it.. Pardon me for being critical but I think a lot of these patterns that have emerged over the years prominently.. were world class for their time.. whether it was how they moved.. or their timing.. or their transitions.. I see stuff that I would call -world class-.. but that's just me.. because one thing I've learned is how importnat the little things are... but what of you guys? if the bar is so low, then why not jsut give us a taste.. pardon me for calling anyone -egotistical- if one can only learn the secrets by visiting a master.. because some of us don't and may never have the chance to ever go and see the people we call great.. and to never be afforded any knowledge because we can't travel to the doorstep is ridiculous.. I promise you that anywhere I go and anyone I meet that teaches me something will have it on film and spread to everyone else..

ahh well there i go ranting again.. an yet never saying anything new.. story o my life.. point is.. there a lot of ways to bridge the gap... and we people feel liek they have access to you.. you don't seem like some "Poi-inati" LMMFAO.. and you don't get frustrated.. nor anything else..

and ps
helping me understand mate.. works a lot better if when we aren't at each others throats just bickering.. so I am trying to curb my temper.. and move past things to keep discussions moving (which will help everyone understand) if you don't mind helping me in this effort.. then I'm sure the topics covered will be clear enough to pass your information to any that would wish to read or see it.. little stuff. lik epointing out my failing rather then rant about talking to a wall.. lol..

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
one REALLY important point that glass and i have made many times is that there is no substitute for practice. even if i _was_ some super badass and you filmed me and learned every kind of move i could imagine, everyone would still have to spend every day spinning to become a "master".

any practice is good, none of it is a waste of time- REALLY. doing a hundred thousand butterflies is the best thing in the world.

so why worry about learning moves? why not just play and have fun? after 5 years, everyday, if you're not doing this for the fun of it then what's the point? i like DISCOVERY most of all and why would i want to deprive someone of that pleasure- when i can point them in directions and give them a framework to expand with, and they can evolve just as fast and with a more solid foundation and ability to teach themselves? Socratic method is BETTER biggrin so it's okay that i'm "cryptic" anyways redface
just read the paragraphs above me ubbloco makes me feel better, maybe it wasn't just blind stupidity on my part, thanks guys biggrin

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
its not about the moves mate.. its about clarity of discussion... you guys are offended by mixed terms.. and misinterpretations of what you are trying to present.. and all I'm saying is instead of posting confusing text.. just shoot a clip of some concept.. look at my stuff.. I've never posted anything that I would consider truly original, nor have I posted any "moves".. "moves" are just a trick we use to teach newbies concepts.. when people see the 3bt inverted weave.. they think.. ahh buzzsaw weave.. but then they see the 5bt version and they go.. AHA that's why its called inverted..

I never said practice didnt matter.. I just said it was a way for you to reach the masses and the masses to feel a connection to you... close the gap that is felt between sides.. rid some of this eltism nonsense.. as well as rid the problems that keep you guys form the board..

a perfect example... spinning a set that never goes over a 5bt weave or 4bt thread that jsut shows exquisite timing and movement.. the idea afterall is to inspire not for every yahoo to run out and mimic you..

I mean sure mimicry is part of learning.. and they will all catch on in time... but rather then drop a bit of cryptic nonsense that further alienates each side, just show them how suttle changes and how just the basics can matter and change so much..

and though it helps people to figure things out on their own... it really helps to give them that boost.. that inspiration from watching a good spin makes me wnat to spin.. even if there's nothing NEW in it.. on top of the fact that people reach blocks in different areas.. and some people need a boost in those areas.. which is where spinnign something new or some new way comes in... because you of all people should know that its not one move.. but one concept that must then be taken home and practiced on ALL your moves.. so showing them one thing only shows the door.. its up to them to open it and take it from there.. forcing them to wait until they uncover something you came across could take years.. and kinda slows the progression of what can be done with poi.. and personally I'd like to see how far poi can go, and help get it there, then how far I came... I throw so much stuff out there in hopes of seeing what cool stuff others can do with it... I was just hoping maybe some of you thought the same.. its one thing to earn your knowledge.. its another to halt progress...

the point isnt to make masters.. masters take time.. not knowledge.. only experience grants that.. but knowledgeis something even the n00bs like me can have.. that helps us keep things moving.. I mean.. there really isnt anything higher then basic.. not that I've ever seen at least.. nor can I say we've hit on all the basics in play.. and to that degree I still can't even begin to comprehend the level that I would call master.. and as such don't see it relevent to discussion..

my point is to create not masters.. but addicts.. people that love to spin.. and too often I see too many spinners get bored and quit.. and to think that all it takes to keep some people spinning is to show them the same thing..in a new way.. that's how I got so many people around here to either start or keep spinning.. not to mention some people I've met through the boards..

no ones asking for a vid full of [censored] they've never seen.. a lot of times.. (like when we argue at times) we are talking about the same thing from two different points of view.. when a simple clip would make it all go away.

that's just my take man.. just trying to find ways to solve the complaints you guys have.. with the complaints everyone else has.. while managing to offend neither.. whats wrong with that?!? the more of you guys that leave just comes at a loss to the people that can make sense of you.. not to the people that are psising you off.. and that to me just seems backwards no?

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
"If only you knew, the power of the darkside... Obiwan never told you what happened to your father."

Non-Https Image Link

Arashi, i feel like that every day man...this place kills me. I dont get no respect, people blatantly ignore me, even go out of their way to ... nvrm, i could care less. Their loss.

There is always 1 random guy who does listen,and learns and understands and that makes it all worth it. The 1337 can keep dreaming that they know it all...and that is why they will never know nothing.

I cant understand HOP, i mean, EVERY spinner iv ever met (with 1 exception) changed my life, gave me hope and inspriation, and yet it seems here very few can even be bothered to try to understand anyone else. They just stick to their 1337 group right or wrong, and make the rest of us feel like outsiders.

I'll be retiring soon also bro, hopefully we can hook up some where down the line. Thanks for everything you ever taught me...i just wish you had heard what i was trying to say.

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

i think we all could spend less time here if we weren't taking in circles. which brings me to

Oh, the irony!

I for one (and I imagine I speak for a lot of other lurkers) have learnt a ton of stuff from the threads you've been involved in and will be sad to see you go. I can only hope that you will return one day when I'm good enough to actually join in!

ttfn

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
::Haven't read most of this topic so if i miss hte point forgive me::

Hey Arashi, who shut you out of 'that other site'?

I remember you talking on hop a while back about 'every move should be renamed in terms of slapping the wet fish' and i thought you must have been logging in somewhere else to pick up on that term. But then i couldn't figure it out because there's no member called arashi on the other side. So what do you mean by 'shut out'? Just cos you and rev get at each others throats over on hop doesn't mean you can't be bosom buddies over there.

Oh yeah, i kinda promised myself i wouldn't advertise on hop after 100 members.

Anywho, i'd love to see you over there, you've got a lot to give. It's different you know, poiple don't really argue, don't ask me why. My guess is that it doesn't rotate around $, and it's still relatively small. Plus if you are talking about something that someone else doesn't get you can just refer them to a topic about the term and a video to go with it.

I have a lot of respect for you arashi, i trust it's mutual.

Super perfundo on the eve of your day,

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
somebody posted "slapping the wet fish" here on hop once. i of course looked at the post, i'm an undersexed pasty faced glasses wearing pervert who spends all his time on the computer, what can i say.

i dunno, i tried getting a "membership" twice now, hasn't worked yet. though i'm not exactly what you would call "computer proficient" -i like to sit in front of subwoofers and climb trees and swim and talk to spunky tan brazilian girls and sultry pale goth girls and guys with purity and honor. less boxes please. plus it already took a long time trying to figure out what hoppers mean, i haven't been able to try and go figure out a whole other language, i can't watch videos without a half hour drive. i went a couple times when it was open membership.

sorry if i don't "shower down my praise" enough on certain threads but i don't think in those terms, i'm not like some person above everybody, i just help people in their threads where i can. i used to just help people with their 5 beats, what's the difference? it's all just the love of whirling crap around while you act retaawded and sweat.

you got it down- if you appear ta be in pain

AAAARGH late for work

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I must admit that i am mightily confused by a lot of what you say. In particular, what is a 1337?

I do feel, like Bug, that trying to translate Poi into English, or any other static, word based language, is in many ways a waste of time. Like Dantana said, occasionally the mistakes of translation can lead to unexpected insight and innovation, not to mention inspiration, but generally the best way to learn something from someone is to talk to them, see them spin, and then adapt what they do to suit yourself, rather than attempt to be a carbon-copy of someone elses style.

If you are attempting to share your knowledge out of love for the art of spinning, then you deserve our thanks and respect - even if all you know is a 3 beat weave. The proficiency of the teacher is irrelevant, the willingness to teach is what makes us better happier people.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
mags 1337 is kiddy scriptor (hacker wannabees) for leet = elite

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
woooooooooo!

I go away for six months and it all looks like this!

i thought the board was freindlier. biggrin

arashi, beutifull post. Im sorry, i cant help feel we put you on the throne and tore it down again, like some sleezy tabloid with a media whore (maybe this is going to far. ed.)

you are right about all, time does matter the most. I havent learnt a thing all summer, and my spinning is 200% better.

Ive been pissed at you being 'leet'. but i realise a lot to do with it is that I am someone who can activly work in text, dose not rely to heavily on the word but looks for meaning, who always tries to be clear and based in physical description. who activly enjoys building a physical framework of interaction for poi.

you are not like me, and neither is dragon. for the record, ive never been pissed at dragon, but i understood him before i understood you. and this post has really helped that. Also for the record you and dragon and glass have been magor influences to my learning throught the 3 years+ i have been on hop. thats totally true, and i really thank you for it, its just our masters got grumpy.

I think the most intresting post on here is from the lurker.

you see, anyone who can actually add, explore or correct anything on the the real technical posts on here has to be [censored] mental assed obsessed MO FO. discussion is getting really meaty now, cos peaple are working hard to pull the next bit of the puzzle from the big black bag. and yes sometimes working even harder to explain it to others. which is the point.

thanks for your efforts, i only ever wanted for you to teach me. beleive I have the joy, 3 years is my aprentiship, my black belt, time to really learn someting!

saw a guy in a club, doing the same three circles the same ways, absoulutlycleanasF*ck. it was beutifull. he's old school, it says in every second.

do you contact juggle? theres a mantra "five more years and it will be amazing"

go to your woofer and fallah portugease con ella, i see you in five years wink

T wave

p.s. Big up the old school, Carlie, dantanna, PK, flashfire, josh and the rest, online comunity HUUUUUGGGGGGG!

pps. O come on you newbies, you too, HUUUUUUUGGGG!!! ubblol

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Page: