Forums > Help! > can anyone help with my research please

Login/Join to Participate

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
I have a project that includes a practical part for which I’m making a multimedia tutorial for learning poi.
I was hoping some of you could help me with a bit of research—beginners will be very useful and also those who often teach to others.

If you could email me or post answers it’d be great.

Firstly what do you think should be included for the first few stages of learning poi (basically from the time you first see them and think they’re cool until the time when you can find moves yourself) and what order do you think is best to learn these moves in?

Secondly have you got any good metaphors for explaining moves or ways of swinging?

Thirdly has anyone got any advice for me generally? Either in the teaching way or how to video the moves or things I’ll probably be forgetting to include.

This is the first thing like this I have to do and it’s a good percentage of my final score. I always find 1st time things with computers are a lot of stress so if anyone knows something that might take the weight of it’d be great.

Many thanks to all who answer.

Anyone who goes to Spitalfields in London should be warned that I’ll be running around on Tuesday with a camera and asking you to do stuff for me…

If anyone is interested in trialling the final product for me, that’d be cool too. I plan to either put it on CD’s and/or let the package be downloadable and it should be ready either just before or not long after Christmas.

Thank you
Emily

DISCLAIMER I am a non-profit organisation. All distribution of the tutorial will be for free for test purposes only. It’ll then be archived somewhere in my school until a couple of years later when they’ll destroy it as it is no longer of any relevance and I’ll have left. By answering these questions you are agreeing to me using your ideas/metaphors in my project. You may never see the final product. In fact it’s not certain that I’ll ever get anything working at all, as I don’t communicate very well with computers.

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
check your pms

Meh

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i haven't been spinning that long myself but the first thing i get people to do when they pick up poi is all the combinations of spin directions.

ie. parallel forwards & backwards, split-time forwards & backwards, forwards on left and back on right, backwards on left and forwards on right. both of those last two same-time and split-time.

it sounds really boring i know but people often start crossing over by themselves by the time they have all the spins down.

i'll be around tomorrow night if you wanna talk about it at all. good luck

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
Safety, safety, safety!

Also, if there are stages to a move, showing plenty of footage of each step would be a big help. Example, for a reverse weave, one can start by doing a figure 8 in front that goes up as it's going to ones' right. Then one starts the alternate hands-across-under that makes it a weave (which i still have not freaking managed yet, ggrrrr!).

In general, a lot of repeats of the action (if it's looped), and a lot of repeats of psrt one of a move before going to the next part.

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
erm.....yeh...please make sure that the videos are better than the ones on home of poi...sorry malcolm...but its true...that 5 beat and btb 3 beat are impossibe to see...the 5 beat as the frame rate is such that when the crucial movements with the wrists are....and the btb 3 beat, as it is done in UV light...you canrt see the positions of the hands...

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
Hija!
I've discovered that for a lot of moves (especially weaves) it's easier to get them to practise with two short sticks first (similar to double staffs, but without wick so they can hold the end.) This way you can slow the move right down, which you can't do with normal poi as they rely on a bit of speed to keep them moving.
Also let them practise with each hand seperately before having a go with both, to get used to the wrist movements.
Hope this helps!
XXOO

I'm out of my mind...but you can leave a message

If you remain calm while all around you is collapsing...possibly you are missing something

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
clubs are good for learning the tricks that require momentum to pull of - like stalls and nutwraps.
oops did i just type that!?
/runs

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
thank you thank you thank you peeps

BIG thanks to ros and to c@ntus for telling me to email her

i'm taking everything people say into account and including everything i can

i didnt video on tues- just way too busy right now, but really hope to do so this tues coming

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
See i told you she'd be wonderful.

Meh