Forums > Social Chat > Flame duration test results

Login/Join to Participate

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've mentioned elsewhere that I make firedancing equipment commercially, so I've got a special interest in finding out what works. I have built a simple test rig that allows me to compare the performance of several wicks. I finally got around to comparing the performance of two different wick designs and two different fuels (kerosene and Coleman gas). The results are at www.fire-gear.com/testing.html

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Sachamember
15 posts

Posted:
Hey Malcolm, I always thought that you should rap your wick tight on the pipe...Does it really restrict the amount of fuel getting absorbed?? I'm talking Hand-wrapped tight.I figured it just soaked through, please enlighten me.love and lightSacha

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Malcolm--Each wick is made using 2 strips of 2" x 24" wicking, 1/8" thick. So 96 square inches of wicking. The wicking is fairly loose on the tube-core wicks (and on the interleave wicks, too). So I don't think soak-up was a problem, although I did not determine just how much fuel they each soaked up. Maybe next time--that would be worth finding out. I have weighed wicks before/after soaking on a different occasion, and found that the tube-core wicks seemed to soak up about 1 oz more.When you ask "how long does it last," I assume you are asking how many light-ups. That I don't know.------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com[This message has been edited by adamrice (edited 26 January 2001).]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy