jessejamesmember
22 posts

Posted:
hey someone out there said that you could get kevlar wicking at micheals tried to get some and they didnt stock it said if i wanted to order id have to get the product number if whoever you are wanted to do this for me it would be great any other options other than dube would be great to hearjessejames

burnin down the house

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Much to my dismay the Michaels that I purchased from just decided to discontinue thier line of oil lamp paraphenalia...which is where the wicking came in. frownNow it's back to the drawing boards for me...though not Dube. THere are other juggler sites out there that supply wicks...a couple from the US. As soon as I go through all of my bookmarks again I will let you know what I find.Please, if anyone else had any other alternatives to Dube, let us know. Thanks.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

The Cabirimember
20 posts

Posted:
www.renegadejuggling.comsells wicking by the roll.it runs about $175 for 100 feet, whereas Dube runs only about $100 for 100 feet. Dube has the wire running through, and no cotton in its blend so it seems to last longer than Renegade's, which gets white and starts unravelling pretty quickly.just our observations... but may prove useful feedback for someone out there!Charly

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For poi, if you want cost effective (IE cheap) you could always use a towel wick. You have to replace them more frequently than Kevlar. We usually wrap up six or eight at a time so we can just clip them off when done. They soak up loads of fuel though and burn big and bright. We seal the ends with white school glue to keep them from fraying and sew down the edges with six layer cotton thread and then coat that in glue. The "cage" we wrap it in has one of the containment wires that holds the flap down as well so there is no danger of it flying freely. Then again we use white glue on ALL our wicks.As for staff..you're fairly well stuck with kevlar there unless anyone else has another alternative. Also, for torches (especially eating ones) non-wired Kevlar is really the best. You can use cotton cheese cloth but it doesn't hold up as well at all.Jessejames..How far are you from Toronto or Niagara Falls? I am 2 1/2 hours from T.O and 1/2 from Niagara Falls. If that is anywhere near you and you wanna meet up sometime,once this damn snow has thawed, that's be cool!Good luck!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
for fire eating torches try stands from a 100% cotton mop head. i have also used this on the ends of my staffs(althogh it doesnt last long). still it is great for fire eating torches and is also very cheap. Rain.