Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > le Rendez-vous de l'Erdre: a Jazz Festival in Nantes, France; fire receptive

Login/Join to Participate

Diablostikmember
34 posts

Posted:
I had an idea. there is such a vast amount of talent here at HoP, that there should be some sort of gathering of the fire folk. (Glow folk too, there are some cool clubs in the town). In September 2000, I had the opportunity to fly to Nantes, France to play in the festival. I was in a blues outfit called 'Sugardaddy". The music was all great fun and all, but... ...On the last night of the fest. I was sitting at a cafe with some other musicians, when a troupe of three street fire performers lit up on the corner a block away from us. I had my sticks with me, but no fuel. Everyone told me that I ought to join them, so, I downed my beer and broke through the small crowd that had begun to form. I don't speak much french, however, I was pretty good at charades. I let them know I had torches, and would like to join them and use their fuel. They were pleased to have me. One fire-breather, one devil stick/club spinner, and a club juggler. I had devil sticks. We start up the rotations and not 5 minutes go by, and the owner of the cafe on the corner rushes up and offers us all free drinks for the night if only we would set up directly on the other side of the corner to be in a better position in front of her cafe. We get it going again, and two hand drummers set up behind us. The crowd begins to grow, another drummer, more crowd, three more drummers, even more crowd, till eventually, over the coarse of 20 minutes, we have another fire breather on hand and a total of fourteen drummers from different countries, and about 300-400 people gathered. This was the most intense fire performance I have ever performed. For three and a half hours, the crowd fluctuated, but never below 100 or so. The drumming was amazing, very large. This is an anual festival. I missed 2001, I do not want to miss this one. Thousands of people go to this 3day event. Only a four hour train ride from Paris, Cassandra. Let's all try to go this year. Airfare and Hotels are the largest obstacle. If we had enough people seriously interested, I could set up a promo pack to send to Jack-Alain at the festival to see if perhaps they would book us to help pay for our travel. Think about it . The idea of having fire handlers from all over the globe flying in. sorry for the mini-novel-length topic I just wrote.

Diablostikmember
34 posts

Posted:
It's actually les, not le. sorry Cassandra.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Diabolistik... sounds great !!!!What are the dates ? I'd be interested ! smileShine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Diablostikmember
34 posts

Posted:
Either the last week in August, or the first week in September. In 2000 it was Sept. 1,2 & 3. And I believe last year started aug 30th or so. I'll let you know . They have a web site you can do a search; it ends with .fr wink I'll look it up and get back to you. It really is a Grande event

Diablostikmember
34 posts

Posted:
okay, I went to the home site for the festival , and it is not current. My guess is they don't want to put up the info for this year until they have all the main acts booked. if you want to , you can do a general search, typing only the name of the fest to your browser and you can find last year and the year before info.THis could be very large.If only the Events and festival discussion board had as much traffic as the social, we could have an army of firefolk at the fest.

4,224 posts

Posted:
OK, I don't know where I'll be at that time but if I am in France, then you can coun't me in.As it gets closer we'll email and organize something. I have quite q few buddies who will be travelling through Europe at that time, so we will be a few for sure ...shine onCassandra

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Er, Cassandra, aren't you mean't to be gazing into NYC's eyes, not at a computer screen?Unfortunately, as great as this sounds, Jazz isn't really my thing. But it souds like a great idea though!

4,224 posts

Posted:
Yes, Dom baby, you are right but NYC was at work when I wrote that post ... now I am off to gaze into his eyes !! smile