Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > very simple, but very cool move done last night by accident..

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Check it..pretty basic, but im listing it with hopes to ignite something in some of you new comers to POI. i know when i started i didnt even know how to be creative. I formed my new moves off of experienced people moves that they listed, which to them seemed basic..standard weave..turn R180 into reverse weave, turn R90 in to windmill split time (close wristed), then same time windmill. after they pass behind your head tun L90 into a tuck turn under your left pit.after the swing under your pit..(this is the great part experienced people)i turn R270 with a drop swing (smae time) behind my head and break into a split time windmill spinning in reverse to my standard directionN-northS-southE-eastW-westR-turn rightL-turn leftheres the directions in sequenceN, R-S, R-W, L-S, R- all the way around to EI know this sounds really complicated. And i have a hard time explaining in words, but hopefully it might spark something in someone, and hopefully someone can understand it..Im just excited that i pulled it off, and i had toshare.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Soundsgood Superman, I will definitely try that when I get out of work. Question: at the beginning after you go rev weave, which side do you begin you windmill and what dir? clock/counter?------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Right On Super!It sounds Fun and doesn't sound that hard! Ill try it later tonight. Ski

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Shabaki...the 1st windmill after the reverse weave us going clockwise..the second will be going counter clockwise..I guess i forgot to mention you have to be able to a windmill both directions...i guess its a little harder than i thought...whoops grinDid you guys try it??------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
What's a drop swing?

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
my bad....what i call a drop swing is when i bring both poi together. then i exaggerate the movement. I usualy use it to break out of a move and combo into another that might not flow together well. I use it alot while turning to help clear my body.Example: Ill use the windmill. doing a windmill in sametime, you basically just rock your wrists back and forth from in front of your head to behind it right? on the "drop swing" as it goes behind my head, i put my arms completely over my shoulders (elbows in the air) as i turn. I do as i change directions in windmills. I guess you can call it a stall too. It resembles a high turn, just with both hands together, and exaggerated. ------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Whaddya know, i've been using drop swings all along smile Thanks for the clarification, that combo sounds fun.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i applied that name to it because thats what i heard someone who at the time was more advanced than i call it that...so thats what i have been calling it all this time. it probably never had a name untill this thread.. hee heeSuper'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Super My Man!I started doing sick moves variating off of yours. Hey after you go from the windmill to the tuck turn, keep them together! Spin a few turns together and split them, crossing them infront of you. I started playing around with them together then split, together then split. You can go back into your windmill or weaves from them together!Good moves! Thanks,Ski

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
That's a pretty nice combo, and once you explained it, pretty easy to pick up. When i tried it last night i found that by changing the last little bit i could link it to a sequence i've been workin on:After the drop swing do a body wrap and come out into a same-time corkscrew. From there go into a split time corkscrew into a alternate butterfly. After that its up to you; you can either go on into butterflys and such, or into a windmill to get into weaves again. Fun Fun Fun! -Mr Sock

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i feel like Obi-1-kenobethats exactly what i was hoping it would do...ispiration...body wrap into a corkscrew...interesting..i like that.Awesome guys!!!!Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain